Windows 10: Unable to use Microsoft Authenticator app to logon to Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to use Microsoft Authenticator app to logon to Windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This one has taunted me for a while now so time to report it. I've just got a new Windows 10 PC and I'm trying to logon with my Microsoft account, as... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Rob Nicholson Home, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Unable to use Microsoft Authenticator app to logon to Windows 10

This one has taunted me for a while now so time to report it. I've just got a new Windows 10 PC and I'm trying to logon with my Microsoft account, as Microsoft recommends. After entering my email address, it offers the option of password which always works BTW or using the app. So I keep trying to use the app but I always fail.

It pops up with two digit number on screen and then up pops the notification on my Android mobile. I select the required number and hit OK but then it asks me to either enter my swipe code or use fingerprint. Neither work - ever!

I use the authenticator app all the time to authenticate at other places, e.g. when I log onto my Microsoft account on the web or that slightly annoying "Fixup account" that crops up now and then in Windows 10.

But I've never managed to logon to Windows 10 for the first time using the app. Anyone got this to work?

PS. I can't supply screenshots as the authenticator app prevents screenshots - one assumes for security.

:)

Rob Nicholson Home, Feb 24, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft Authenticator (beta) app in Store

Source: Microsoft Authenticator (beta)

Brink, Feb 24, 2020
  3. poit57 Win User
    Microsoft Account authentication

After more research, I have found my answer. It looks like the issue was that Microsoft released a new Microsoft Authenticator app with the features first introduced in Microsoft Authenticator Beta. The new app received a prompt to approve access to my Microsoft
    Account when signing on from a new PC, though I find it strange that the beta app wasn't directly upgraded to the new version of the app.

Microsoft now has three 2 step authentication apps available in the store for Windows 10 Mobile:

• Authenticator - original app from Windows Phone 8
    • Microsoft Authenticator Beta - originally released to Windows 10 users when Windows 10 Mobile was only available on the Windows Insider program.
    • Microsoft Authenticator - the official Windows 10 app no longer in beta

poit57, Feb 24, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Unable to use Microsoft Authenticator app to logon to Windows 10

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

Unable to use Microsoft Authenticator app to logon to Windows 10

1. Unable to use Microsoft Authenticator app to logon to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable Microsoft Authenticator

2. Microsoft Authenticator App - Unable to sign in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Authenticator App - Unable to sign in.: I am using an iPhone. I had to do a hard reset at some point. After reinstalling the Microsoft Authenticator App, I am unable to sign into the app. I try to sign in, then my 2-step verification kicks in telling me a code has been sent to the authenticator app, which is what I...
  3. Microsoft Authenticator App - Unable to sign in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Authenticator App - Unable to sign in.: I am using an iPhone. I had to do a hard reset at some point. After reinstalling the Microsoft Authenticator App, I am unable to sign into the app. I try to sign in, then my 2-step verification kicks in telling me a code has been sent to the authenticator app, which is what I...
  4. Microsoft Authenticator is asking me to authenticate using Microsoft Authenticator to use...

Microsoft Authenticator is asking me to authenticate using Microsoft Authenticator to use...: So first of all... Why is "microsoft Authenticator" not an option in the "Products" dropdown when choosing where this post should go? I'm just going to choose "Windows"... Sorry not sorry.Also, I can't take a screenshot on the microsoft Authenticator app without it capturing...
  5. Microsoft Authenticator is asking me to authenticate using Microsoft Authenticator to use...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Authenticator is asking me to authenticate using Microsoft Authenticator to use...: So first of all... Why is "microsoft Authenticator" not an option in the "Products" dropdown when choosing where this post should go? I'm just going to choose "Windows"... Sorry not sorry.Also, I can't take a screenshot on the microsoft Authenticator app without it capturing...
  6. Unable to Logon to Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to Logon to Windows 10: I am suddenly having a problem with accessing the Windows hello screen. I can’t get past the opening screen. The first time this happened I was able to use the troubleshooting app’s start up repair utility to fix the problem. Now it has happened again and that utility is not...
  7. Unable to Logon to Windows 10

Unable to Logon to Windows 10: I am suddenly having a problem with accessing the Windows hello screen. I can’t get past the opening screen. The first time this happened I was able to use the troubleshooting app’s start up repair utility to fix the problem. Now it has happened again and that utility is not...
  8. Problems with authentication on domain using smart card logon

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems with authentication on domain using smart card logon: Dear MS Support, we're using Smart Card logon as second method of our users to sign into domain based PCs. After latest Servicing Stack update KB4586863 and Cumulative update KB4586786, logon with smart card stopped working with this message: "This smart card could not be...
  9. Any way to use Microsoft Authenticator app on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to use Microsoft Authenticator app on Windows 10?: The first thing I tried was to use my Android "Microsoft Authenticator" app via Your Phone. However, there's a bug that prevents the screen from displaying. I also tried installing "Microsoft Authenticator" from the Windows Store... however, there's a limitation which only...
  10. Use Microsoft Authenticator App with Windows Hello

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Use Microsoft Authenticator App with Windows Hello: Hi there, a) possible to use use the Microsoft Authenticator App in general for Window Hello? b) possible to use push notification (allow, decline) for desktop login? --> User types user name during windows login --> User gets a notification on the smartphone. --> User...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. use authenticator to log in to windows

2. 2 Factor Authenticator application for windows 10 google ios‬