Windows 10: Unable to use network sharing with 2 PCs on Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to use network sharing with 2 PCs on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I tried to follow the tutorial listed and checked that the correct services were on and automatic. I also made sure file sharing is on. On my Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Alicia J, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Alicia J Win User

Unable to use network sharing with 2 PCs on Windows 10

I tried to follow the tutorial listed and checked that the correct services were on and automatic. I also made sure file sharing is on. On my Windows 10 PC I can only see the media for my Laptop but there's nothing in it. On my PC I can see my Laptop but it says not connected.

I would like to be be able to share documents, pictures, video, and music. What is the best option for doing this?

I recently updated both machines to 1809 build.

:)

Alicia J, Dec 12, 2018

2. Unable to host virtual network for internet sharing

I've been getting the following error:
    "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation"

Things I've already done trying to solve the problem(To save time from suggesting the same things) :

1) Clean install of Windows 10.

2) Made sure my WiFi network card doesn't go to Sleep, by disabling that option in the Power Management.

Unable to use network sharing with 2 PCs on Windows 10 [​IMG]

3) Have set hosted network mode to allow

4) Made sure that my network with internet access is set to sharing

I tried going through all the forums regarding this, but none of them are solving my problem

Additional info :

It was working fine untill some random windows update, after which the PC started getting BSOD when trying to host a network. Reinstalling drivers started giving me this error instead of BSOD.

Then I rolled back to windows 8.1 and checked again. It was working flawlessly. I assumed it to be a driver problem, so I upgraded to Windows 10 again and this error is back.

Is my only solution is to chuck Windows 10 and run 8.1?

lunaticfiend, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Cannot open network and sharing center in windows 10

Hi Aman,

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details

• Do you get any error message, when trying to open network and sharing center?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to fix the issue.

Method 1: Install all the Windows 10 pending updates and check if it helps.

I suggest you check for the pending updates in resolving the issue.

• In search type Check for updates and hit enter.

• Click on Check for updates.

• Windows 10 will automatically install all the pending updates.
    If the issue still persist, suggest you to try the below step to fix the issue.

Method 2: I suggest you to
    Run the DISM Tool and check.

The DISM tool checks the system health and will try to restore the files.

• Right click on the Start button, click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the
      Enter key after each command:
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.

Reference: I suggest you to follow the steps recommended in the below article for any network connection issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Vidyashree_C, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Kursah Win User

How to limit Windows Sharing to one PC on a network?

Unfortunately, without having a domain and DC using AD DS or similar, I don't believe you can do the shares how you see them on a home-grade network without simply using accounts and account authorization. You need to treat and view these local accounts as a workstation ID instead of an account logged into your computer like you are now. In that respect, this would make limited access quite easy. Give the user of that computer the ID and password to access your PC on the network and they'll have access to specific shares. You'll be a mini-network admin in no time! *Big Grin Unable to use network sharing with 2 PCs on Windows 10 :D

You can have access credentials saved on the PC accessing shares, reducing the need to login every time to access the share.

Another option would be to modify the share in Computer Management. Shared Folders > Shares.

Add a $ at the end of the share name to make it invisible, so you must know the location to access it. You will see examples of this as there are some default shares within Windows already setup this way.

With that you may still want to do as suggested above by newtekie1 with permissions and/or with local accounts to restrict access still so you can assign whom has access to that share.

Beyond that I don't believe there is a way to restrict via PC ID's, because each PC is its own identity, and none are registered to a central server like a domain controller, so using the PC name/ID as a network resource on your home network in the method you want isn't realistic. But if you can manage to accept and view extra created accounts (create them in Computer management too btw...then you have one window for creating and managing accounts and shares) as a PC ID, you'll be fine me thinks.

Kursah, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to use network sharing with 2 PCs on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable network sharing

2. Share a Folder on a Network with specific PCs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Share a Folder on a Network with specific PCs: Hi, I want to share a folder from my Computer (PC0) with two other Computers (PC1, PC2) only in my home network. But I don't want other Computers (for example PC3) on the network to be able to access it. (I don't mind if they can see it). Is this possible? I already know...
  3. 2 networks 2 PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 networks 2 PCs: Hii. I have 2 networks in my work place one is for PCs and the other for Machine , this one for machines has an IP cam connected to it now i need to access this cam from PCs on the first network , you have to know that the second pc for machine is connected to the first...
  4. COMPUTER SHARING ON HOME NETWORK WITH WINDOWS 10 PCs

in Windows 10 Customization
    COMPUTER SHARING ON HOME NETWORK WITH WINDOWS 10 PCs: I have 2 windows 10 PCs on my home network. Both appear on the network. However, my wife can access all the files on my computer while I only have access to her media files. I have spent hours on the phone and sharing the computer with Gearhead's Tech Service, our PC tech...
  5. Unable to see Win 10 PCs in the network

Unable to see Win 10 PCs in the network: I just had some windows updates installed (and a Unifi controller update) and for some reason, I cannot see my wireless laptop in Network shares in File Explorer from the wired PC. And from my wireless laptop, I cannot see the wired PC in File Explorer. Previously, I had no...
  6. Share PCs wifi internet with other PCs on the network

Share PCs wifi internet with other PCs on the network: I have an unusual situation as I only have mobile hotspot at the moment, I have 2 PCs which are on a network router, but only one has a wifi dongle to connect to the mobile hotspot. Is that anyway I can share the internet with the other PC on the network through the one...
  7. Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network

Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network: Hello, my name is Davide and I have a problem in sharing a folder between 2 PCs. It seems that I can't do that because my PCs can't find each other on the Wifi network. The 2 PCs are on the same Wi-fi network. I have enabled and turned on all necessary options in...
  8. 2 W10 PCs on home network

2 W10 PCs on home network: Hello all....can't connect over my home network after updating 1 PCs OS from 7 to 10 10 ProN 18363.476 Network... Everything worked prior to updating the OS on PC 1 Cable modem to netgear 7900 7900 to PC 1 7900 to netgear Proline to PC 2 Same workgroup both PCs are on a...
  9. 2 PCs, no Xbox. Cloud saves won't share between PCs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 PCs, no Xbox. Cloud saves won't share between PCs?: I have the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. I have been playing The Outer Worlds on my desktop PC. One day i had to spend some time at my moms house while some renovation work was getting done, so i brought my laptop. When i loaded up the game it synched and i was able to pick up...
  10. Sharing PCs on a network

Sharing PCs on a network: I have 2 Windows 10 PCs on the same network. I have shared both, can see both, but when I try to access the other it tells me I am not authorized to access. What has changed?...