Windows 10: Unable to use Open > Browse for XLSX, PPTX or DOCX files

Discus and support Unable to use Open > Browse for XLSX, PPTX or DOCX files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Each time I attempt to Open with 'Browse' function, the application crashes when selecting xlsx, docx and pptx files even before clicking the 'Open'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CharlesLynam, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Unable to use Open > Browse for XLSX, PPTX or DOCX files

Each time I attempt to Open with 'Browse' function, the application crashes when selecting xlsx, docx and pptx files even before clicking the 'Open' button.

The same when I try to open from any Office apps, or when using the 'browse' window to upload to Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.

I do not have the same issues when selecting CSV or XLS files. I do not have the issue opening XLSX files directly from the Excel Open page without using Browse.

I am running latest of everything.

Example in this Loom for opening a CSV successfully and crashing when trying to open an XLSX file:

https://www.loom.com/share/bf77e89687364aedb5b262ca47e358b5

:)

CharlesLynam, Sep 25, 2020
  2. satyam384 Win User
    satyam384, Sep 25, 2020
  3. windows 10 displays "ms-resourceStrings/FtaDisplayName.xlsx" and .docx in file type and no icon.

Thanks -- I am able to open the files just fine, and get no error messages. It seems to be a display problem affecting .xls, .xlsx, .doc .docx., pptx, ,pptm

No problem with .pdf, or .jpg.

I will try the link.

LMartinson, Sep 25, 2020
  4. Unable to use Open > Browse for XLSX, PPTX or DOCX files

xlsx files can't open

Hello Donald,

.XLSX is a file extension for an open XML spreadsheet used by Microsoft Excel. For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Is Microsoft Excel installed on your computer? If yes, which version of Microsoft Excel are you using?
    • Are you getting any error messages when opening the .xlsx files?
    • Did you create the said file or was it downloaded from a certain source?

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

Unable to use Open > Browse for XLSX, PPTX or DOCX files

1. Unable to use Open > Browse for XLSX, PPTX or DOCX files - Similar Threads - Unable Open Browse

2. unable to browse and use cortana

in Cortana
    unable to browse and use cortana: I face a problem with using Cortana and browsing on the internet. When I try to use the search options, the keyboard gets stuck and I can not type anything. I have Windows 10 Education installed, version KB4073543...
  3. Preview Pane, doc, docx, xlsx - by other than MS Office?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preview Pane, doc, docx, xlsx - by other than MS Office?: Hi, in order to see a preview of document formats other than the default types supported by Windows, a preview handler is needed. PDF readers often supply one for .pdf's; MS Office does for office document types. Do you know of any other office-type program that provides a...
  4. Worried about a .docx file I opened

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Worried about a .docx file I opened: Recently I opened a .docx file that I probably shouldn't have. I've done scans with Bitdefender, Malwarebytes and full Windows defender scans, they all came up clean. I permanently deleted the file before I could check if there was a .exe extension. I wasn't prompted to...
  5. Opening .docx and .xlsx

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening .docx and .xlsx: If I click on one of these files types in Windows Explorer is crashes and goes to 'Not Responding' every time. I have repaired, reset, reinstalled, sfc /scannow. Nothing works. Come on Microsoft, what is the issue here. I have seen many, many people asking for a solution...
  6. Warning on default app opening docx file

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Warning on default app opening docx file: I upgraded my 8.1 laptop to 10 about 2 weeks ago now. Basically all is OK, but I do run in to quirks here and there. The latest one is that whenever I dbl-click a .docx (or a .doc) on the desktop or in filemanager, I get the warning below. It nonetheless opens the file...
  7. xlsx, docx wmv ... doesn't work in MS Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    xlsx, docx wmv ... doesn't work in MS Edge: This link: http://lebinca.com/trgovsko-poslovanje/_private/KRIZANKE/kazalci_ucinkovitosti_poslovanja.xlsx doesn't work in MS Edge. Is problem server which i use or something else. In other Browser work. But work pdf, html from this server. Any help would be greatly...
  8. can not open an xlsx file on an email attatchment

in Windows 10 Customization
    can not open an xlsx file on an email attatchment: I have been sent in my email, an xlsx attatchment and it wont open, how can i open this attatchment, i am on Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-open-an-xlsx-file-on-an-email-attatchment/fffe2778-8bf2-46c5-bc6a-ab4e65f21113
  9. File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf: Lately (I don't know how long, just noticed recently) Win 10 File Explorer won't show a preview of .docx or xlsx files. I have found a weird workaround: Open File Explorer, Highlight (click on) the file I want to preview. Nothing but a ding sound indicating a little window...
  10. Word .doc and .docx files open minimized and will not maximize

in Windows 10 Support
    Word .doc and .docx files open minimized and will not maximize: I'm wondering if someone has seen this problem. I've been running MS Office 2007 on Windows 10 for over six months with no problems. Now all of a sudden, Word will not open to full screen, but remains minimized on the task bar. And there is nothing that I can to to maximize...