Windows 10: Unable to use recovery usb after error 0x000000e following attempt to repair windows 10 boot

Discus and support Unable to use recovery usb after error 0x000000e following attempt to repair windows 10 boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've got an old machine that's seen lots of incremental changes, including an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 that resulted in Windows 10 getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BoneExMachina, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Unable to use recovery usb after error 0x000000e following attempt to repair windows 10 boot

I've got an old machine that's seen lots of incremental changes, including an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 that resulted in Windows 10 getting installed over disks 0 and 1 C: and D: drive respectively. Drive C is a Samsung SSD and was partitioned as Healthy Boot, Crash Dump, Page File, Primary Partition. Drive D is an older WD HDD, and was partitioned as Healthy System, Active, Primary, I assume because it was the original drive that Windows 7 was installed on.

Unfortunately, I think I followed some bad advice and removed the HDD D drive and rebooted my machine with a Windows Recovery USB in an attempt to repair the boot and get everything on my SSD C drive so I could scrap the HDD. At first this appeared to work, and I was able to use my recovery USB to initiate the startup repairs, but it failed at 51% complete and notified me that no changes were made. I reconnected the old HDD drive D and attempted to boot, but now I am getting an error of 0x000000e indicating that I cannot boot anymore. I attempted to get into my BIOS/Boot menu as indicated by ASRock ASRock Z97 but now even that is only resulting in a black screen whenever I use F2 or F11 as indicated. I'm unsure if I can recover my Windows installation at all at this point, and I would settle for simply being able to start from scratch.

Anyway, long question and I'm at the edge of my knowledge right now. Anyone have a possible solution?

:)

BoneExMachina, Jan 3, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jan 3, 2020
  3. "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" Error 0x000000e on Windows 10

I wanted to install an SSD in a Laptop with 2 HDDs, one of which is not used. I took out the HDD which was not used, replacing it with the SSD and leaving the HDD with the
    current Windows 10 Operating system. I then installed Windows 10 from media creation on the new SSD. But I receive the error : "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" - "Error 0x000000e", when I select the new
    Windows installation from the Boot Manager.

Steps followed:

1. Replace HDD with new SSD. (Still with 1 OS HDD installed)
    2. Create Windows 10 installation media with the Media Creation tool from Microsoft.
    3. Boot from Windows 10 installation media.
    4. Install Windows 10 on the new SSD. (no volume exists)
    5. Installation Completes.
    6. Re-boot.
    7. Windows Boot Manager shows the 2 Windows 10 Installations.
    8. Select the new installation.
    9. Receive the error : "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" - "Error 0x000000e"

After some research I have found the following two options:

Option 1: This seems like a simple solution, but will I be able to boot from both Operation Systems (OS) after this?

1. Reformat the Partition created on the SSD for Windows 10
    2. Remove the old HDD from the Laptop
    3. Reinstall Windows 10 from the installation media

Option 2: This is the most common suggestion but the information around this fix is fairly limited, I don't understand why this simple installation would cause issues here? I did run bootrec /scanos and no OS was listed.

1. bootrec /fixmbr
    2. bootrec /fixboot
    3. bootrec /scanos <--- If no OS is found run the following
      1. bcdedit /export C:\bcdbackup
      2. C:
      3. cd boot
      4. attrib bcd -s -h –r
      5. ren C:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    4. bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Option 2 found from sources such as, Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 / FIX: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed 0x000000E on Windows 10/8/8.1 - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos

DanAdrenaline, Jan 3, 2020
  4. Unable to use recovery usb after error 0x000000e following attempt to repair windows 10 boot

Windows 10 Boot Error

Hi Max,

The error code 0x000000e may occur due to the following issues:

• Program lock-ups.
    • Slow PC performance.
    • System freezes.
    • Startup and shut down issue.
    • Installation and hardware failure.

To resolve the boot error code 0x000000e, we suggest that you follow the Startup Repair steps below:

• Turn off your computer.
    • Turn on your computer. As soon as you see the Windows logo with the spinning dots, press and hold down the power button until your computer turns off. Do this process
      twice.
    • Turn on your computer for the third time, and let it load.
    • It should give you the message: Preparing Automatic Repair.
    • On the next screen that would appear, click on Advanced Options.
    • Select Troubleshoot.
    • Go to Advanced Options.
    • Click on Startup Repair.
    • Wait for the repair to finish.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jan 3, 2020
Thema:

Unable to use recovery usb after error 0x000000e following attempt to repair windows 10 boot

1. Unable to use recovery usb after error 0x000000e following attempt to repair windows 10 boot - Similar Threads - Unable recovery usb

2. Unable to boot windows after attempting drive transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot windows after attempting drive transfer: I was recently trying to transfer windows from an HDD to an SSD that I had bought but seem to have run into all sorts of issues. I ensured everything was prepared and made a backup with system image as well as formatted the new SSD and all the steps I read online I needed to...
  3. Unable to Start Tablet following Attempt to Install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to Start Tablet following Attempt to Install Windows 10: Hi - Please can you help me? I ran a scan and tried to free up space on my tablet - it was then removing out of date drivers etc. I now can not get the tablet started. It does switch on but will not start. The Auto Repair does not solve it. Nor do any of the Advanced...
  4. BSOD even after Windows 10 reset, 0x000000e

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD even after Windows 10 reset, 0x000000e: (Note: I've also posted my question to the microsoft forums because I'm really desperate at this point). Windows Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Hello guys, I'm coming to you as my last resort. I have no idea what's wrong with my computer, and I don't know how to fix it....
  5. Getting Windows Error 0x000000e when trying to multi boot Windows

Getting Windows Error 0x000000e when trying to multi boot Windows: Hey, recently I bought this laptop which unfortunately doesn't support m.2 Sata ssd as a bootdrive either HDD or NVME. So I decided to keep the pre-installed Windows 10 OEM in HDD and install another Windows 10 on my ssd without formatting the old one. As I was expecting that...
  6. Unable to repair Windows 10 using USB drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to repair Windows 10 using USB drive: I tried to repair my installation of Windows 10 but could not do so. I even tried to recover my system but that also was of no use. I have dual boot in my lapotp. The ubuntu installation is booting normally, but windows is not booting up. Please help....
  7. Windows 10 unable to boot even after using usb recovery,i just have 3 versions of windows...

Windows 10 unable to boot even after using usb recovery,i just have 3 versions of windows...: As per title all help appreciated.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-unable-to-boot-even-after-using-usb/d93f2c4b-901f-4204-81b1-ca18018b7291
  8. Error file: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc0000098 after attempted repair to Windows 10

Error file: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc0000098 after attempted repair to Windows 10: Hi A few days ago my PC (Acer Aspire x3950 upgraded to Windows 10) started a disk repair, reason unknown. After this the screen went black and was like that for some hours. I switched the PC off and back on again. Now it boots to a blue recovery screen stating “your...
  9. Freezing and Error 0x000000e

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Freezing and Error 0x000000e: Hi all, I have a dual boot system with windows 10 (Main boot sector) on the SSD and windows 7 on the 1Tb HDD. So my PC freezes up (seemingly randomly), with my mouse move-able but nothing will work. It will sit like this for a few minutes, then reboot. After reboot, I...
  10. "your pc needs to be repaired 0x000000e" after cloning in acronis

"your pc needs to be repaired 0x000000e" after cloning in acronis: Hi, I have recently cloned my windows 10 in the C drive to a new F drive using Acronis True Image 2016. after attempting booting to the new F drive I get this blue screen: [img] I tried repair with a fresh copy of windows 10 on bootable USB but it didn't work....
Tags: