Windows 10: Unable to use seach button, reach start menu and access settings after full reset

Discus and support Unable to use seach button, reach start menu and access settings after full reset in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just did a full reset of my Surface Pro. The computer is therefore completely clean. After the reset, I am unable to use the search function, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MattiasNordin1, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Unable to use seach button, reach start menu and access settings after full reset

I just did a full reset of my Surface Pro. The computer is therefore completely clean. After the reset, I am unable to use the search function, or access the start menu. I can therefore not reach the settings to search for windows updates. Furthermore, if I want to access display settings, an error message comes up saying that

ms-settings: display

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if on is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps settings page.

Basically, at this point I am unable to use the computer. Anyone have any suggestion for what I can do?

:)

MattiasNordin1, Dec 29, 2018

2. Unable to access Start menu and Cortana in Windows 10

Hello Kevin,

As you are unable to access Start menu and Cortana on your device we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know if you are able to see any error message/ error code while trying to access Start menu and Cortana?

This issue might have occurred due to missing/ corrupted system files on your device. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

• Press Windows + R keys, to open
      Run command.
    • Type cmd and hit Enter to open
      Command Prompt.
    • Type the command "sfc /scannow" without the quotes
      and hit Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 29, 2018
  3. Unable to Access Start menu on Windows 10...

I try the same way Shakthi but unable to access Start Menu....Any other suggestions, please let me know.

DVH Chowdary, Dec 29, 2018
  4. Arul_D Win User

Unable to use seach button, reach start menu and access settings after full reset

Settings icon missing from the Start Menu in Windows 10

Hello Venkatesh,

This issue might have occurred if you have disabled the settings icon from the Start Menu. I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Click Start, type
      Start settings and click the Start settings in results

• Click "Choose which folders appear on Start"

• Enable "Settings" toggle button.

Hope this helps. Write back to us with the status of the issue for further assistance.

Arul_D, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

Unable to use seach button, reach start menu and access settings after full reset

1. Unable to use seach button, reach start menu and access settings after full reset - Similar Threads - Unable seach button

2. Unable to access ANY start menu, Cortana, Search, notification access center, or Settings...

in Cortana
    Unable to access ANY start menu, Cortana, Search, notification access center, or Settings...: Since late October 2022, we an IT Help Desk have begun to see This app has been blocked by your system administrator. Contact your system administrator for more info. Having searched for two weeks with every variation we can think of, we haven't found a solution yet. It's...
  3. Unable to access ANY start menu, Cortana, Search, notification access center, or Settings...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access ANY start menu, Cortana, Search, notification access center, or Settings...: Since late October 2022, we an IT Help Desk have begun to see This app has been blocked by your system administrator. Contact your system administrator for more info. Having searched for two weeks with every variation we can think of, we haven't found a solution yet. It's...
  4. Unable to access ANY start menu, Cortana, Search, notification access center, or Settings...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Unable to access Start Menu and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to access Start Menu and Taskbar: I searched for answers to this question on the forum, and found some answers, but none of them worked for me. So I am posting now hoping someone can provide me some sort of assistance. I have an HP touchscreen laptop I bought last year and I upgraded from Windows 7 to...
  6. Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu: Ran into a small problem after upgrading to the Anniversary Update. The update fixed a lot of my problems after I did a clean install so that was very good. I just have one small issue but after that's fixed I should be perfect. The only problem I'm having now is when I...
  7. Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu: Ran into a small problem after upgrading to the Anniversary Update. The update fixed a lot of my problems (listed below) after I did a clean install so that was very good. I just have one small issue but after that's fixed I should be perfect. The only problem I'm having...
  8. Start Menu and seach window will not respond

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu and seach window will not respond: I upgraded to 10 Home yesterday and everything seemed to work fine. Today after deleting several files from my photos the system hung and I had to do a power off reboot. After that the start menu wont come up and the search window won't accept any text. Right click on the...
  9. Start Menu -> Settings -> Grayed Out Buttons

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu -> Settings -> Grayed Out Buttons: My laptop comes up every time with the screen brightness WAY too low for my eyes. I can go to Settings and change it, but the Apply and Cancel buttons are grayed out. Every time I restart, or even when the PC goes into sleep mode, it's right back to the too dark screen....
  10. Start menu discussion: full screen button is gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu discussion: full screen button is gone: Heres what new in Windows 10 build 10122 Start and Continuum improvements: This build introduces some of the changes that were shown off by Joe at Build and Ignite a few weeks ago for both Start and Continuum. We’ve further refined the visual layout of Start by moving...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp pavillion ms-settings:display this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. please install an app or if one is already installed create an association in the default apps settings page