Windows 10: Unable to use Search in start menu since 1709 feature update

Discus and support Unable to use Search in start menu since 1709 feature update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am pretty stumped. Since the latest feature update on my laptop only ( my other computer is ok) I cannot use the search function in the start menu I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drekko, Dec 18, 2017.

1. drekko Win User

Unable to use Search in start menu since 1709 feature update

I am pretty stumped. Since the latest feature update on my laptop only ( my other computer is ok) I cannot use the search function in the start menu
    I start typing and it freezes and I cannot click any of the search results
    the only way I can open software is my manually looking for it in the start menu through folders etc

Here is a video the issue:
    Recording #2 - YouTube
    Ive got latest drivers and I tried doing a system restore but it wont let me, keeps saying it didnt work because my AV ( Windows defender) is blocking it.... The OS's native AV is blocking its own features... ok awesome Microsoft

:)

drekko, Dec 18, 2017

2. Unable to sign in using Hello since the feature update 1709

Thanks for the quick reply. There were no updates pending or requiring restart. Interestingly, when I wake my laptop up from sleep or hibernation, it unlocks using Hello fine. The problem seems to only be there when I am starting up after shutting down.
    Although the disabled options message is still there in the windows hello settings.

Here is what I copied:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Biometrics/Operational

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Biometrics

Date: 30/10/2017 9:44:05 PM

Event ID: 1702

Task Category: WBioSrvc

Level: Information

Keywords:

User: LOCAL SERVICE

Computer: Jane-SurfacePro4

Description:

The Windows Biometric Service successfully unprotected data for user JANE-SURFACEPRO\jclar (S-1-5-21-3074371009-1858481789-548484332-1001).
    Type: Software.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Biometrics" Guid="{A0E3D8EA-C34F-4419-A1DB-90435B8B21D0}" />

<EventID>1702</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>1</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-10-30T08:44:05.092664800Z" />

<EventRecordID>107</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="7816" ThreadID="10520" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Biometrics/Operational</Channel>

<Computer>Jane-SurfacePro4</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="SID">S-1-5-21-3074371009-1858481789-548484332-1001</Data>

<Data Name="Username">JANE-SURFACEPRO\jclar</Data>

<Data Name="Type">1</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

JaneAudrey, Dec 18, 2017
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Unable to sign in using Hello since the feature update 1709

Just let us know if facial recognition works once you've performed a system restore, or if you have any other concerns about your computer while waiting for the bug fix. We'll be here to help.

Regards.

Yolvi Ell, Dec 18, 2017
  4. Unable to use Search in start menu since 1709 feature update

Lots of issues with the updates causing problems with the Start menu. In my experience it happens when updating, but clean installs dont seem to have issues. Some things that have worked for me are as follows: if all else you should be able to Reset from Win 10 install disk that can be downloaded online.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

• Open Windows PowerShell as Administrator
      • Right click Start button
      • Choose Command prompt (Admin)
      • Type in Powershell in the black window and hit Enter
    • Paste in the Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:
      Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    Disable Fast Startup

Techjourney, Dec 19, 2017
Thema:

Unable to use Search in start menu since 1709 feature update

1. Unable to use Search in start menu since 1709 feature update - Similar Threads - Unable Search start

2. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  3. Unable to use Start or Search

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to use Start or Search: I've lost all files, unable to use Start and Search function. Have tried Ctrl, Alt. Delete and Task funtion won't work either. All this happened with Microsoft"s last update months ago....
  4. Unable to use Start or Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to use Start or Search: I've lost all files, unable to use Start and Search function. Have tried Ctrl, Alt. Delete and Task funtion won't work either. All this happened with Microsoft"s last update months ago....
  5. Unable to use Start or Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Features and How to use it

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Features and How to use it: [ATTACH]Windows 10 Start Menu Search has evolved year, and it is integrated with the Windows 10 Timeline with the Windows 10 v2004 Feature update. In […] This article Windows 10 Start Menu Search Features and How to use it first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Unable to search from start menu after latest update

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to search from start menu after latest update: I updated windows 2 days ago, and now when I press flag and start typing nothing happens. just stays blank. [img] 139868
  8. Start menu's search box is dislocation since latest update (1903).

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu's search box is dislocation since latest update (1903).: The search box is dislocation to more right side when you set the search button to "Hide", which is some kind uncomfortable. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menus-search-box-is-dislocation-since-latest/4b0512e2-bc72-44f5-a32f-0baef1768544
  9. After updating to build 1809 I can't use Start menu search feature

in Windows 10 Customization
    After updating to build 1809 I can't use Start menu search feature: I just installed the build 1809 over my existing Windows 10 Enterprise install and after that the Start menu search feature (and also the brightness function keys) stopped working. I've already tried to re-register Windows apps using Get-Appxpackage, run sfc /scannow,...
  10. Autostart Features Ignored since last Features Update (1709)

in Windows 10 Support
    Autostart Features Ignored since last Features Update (1709): Since I upgraded to Version 1709, I can disable Autostart Features via Task Manager but they are Ignored and the Program is started even though it is disabled. In Version 1703 I did not have that Bug. Program in Question: Send To OneNote Tool (OneNote 2013 installed) In...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. {a0e3d8ea-c34f-4419-a1db-90435b8b21d0}

2. Unable to use Search in start menu since 1709 feature update