Windows 10: Unable to use taskbar search

Discus and support Unable to use taskbar search in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have the task bar set to display vertically on the right side of the screen. Until this morning, when I clicked the search icon just below the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SweetTasha, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Unable to use taskbar search

I have the task bar set to display vertically on the right side of the screen. Until this morning, when I clicked the search icon just below the Windows Start icon, I could type into the search at the bottom left. For example, I could type "control panel" and it would show a popup where I could select the Control Panel.

Now when I click that same search icon just below the Windows Start icon, it gives me this. I apologize that this screenshot is so small, I wasn't able to make it larger:

Unable to use taskbar search ba3dc395-9d24-472d-b562-a903c06c0dc2?upload=true.png

Also and I can't explain how this could be related, the power options for turning OFF the display after a certain time isn't working. I set it to 2 minutes to trouobleshoot and it stays on much longer than 2 minutes. Indeed, this has only been going on about 45 minutes now, so I don't know how long it will stay ON.

Unable to use taskbar search 3b7478f4-91e4-4588-8bb1-c4a8f17de21c?upload=true.png

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

SweetTasha.

:)

SweetTasha, Sep 12, 2020

2. Taskbar search

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly send us a screenshot and provide more details by answering the following questions:

• When you say "taskbar search function", do you mean the Start menu search field?
    • Are you getting any error messages upon accessing the taskbar search?
    Meanwhile, to help resolve your concern, we suggest that you run the System file checker and DISM tool to fix issues with corrupted system files that may be causing the issue. To do this, follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + X on your keyboard.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type or copy these commands followed by hitting Enter:

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Do let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Sep 12, 2020
  3. I_askYou Win User
    Windows 10: how to restore search bar in the taskbar?

When I right click on Taskbar, there is no "Search" in the list.

I_askYou, Sep 12, 2020
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

Unable to use taskbar search

Search box on taskbar missing.

Hi John,

This issue with search box may happen if it's hidden from the taskbar.

To resolve the issue, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the taskbar and select Search.
    • Select Show search box.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Unable to use taskbar search

1. Unable to use taskbar search - Similar Threads - Unable taskbar search

2. Unable to use Start or Search

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to use Start or Search: I've lost all files, unable to use Start and Search function. Have tried Ctrl, Alt. Delete and Task funtion won't work either. All this happened with Microsoft"s last update months ago....
  3. Unable to use Start or Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to use Start or Search: I've lost all files, unable to use Start and Search function. Have tried Ctrl, Alt. Delete and Task funtion won't work either. All this happened with Microsoft"s last update months ago....
  4. Unable to use Start or Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar: Hi,Why i am not able to type anything in Win 10 search box in taskbar. restarted also but doesnt help.Can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-to-type-anything-in-search-box-in/20a3e6d4-4702-442a-acd7-311a9e43f7d1
  6. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar: Hi,Why i am not able to type anything in Win 10 search box in taskbar. restarted also but doesnt help.Can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-to-type-anything-in-search-box-in/20a3e6d4-4702-442a-acd7-311a9e43f7d1
  7. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Cortana
  8. unable to use search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to use search bar: Search bar does not work after windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-use-search-bar/9cc6374a-a5fb-417d-b97d-c369b732db06
  9. Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.

in Cortana
    Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.: After the latest updates I am unable to type in the search box on the taskbar. I have tried all the solutions on the internet. Powershell commands, the ctfmon fix, restarting windows explorer, all of it. No matter what I try, the search box won't respond. The latest updates...
  10. Unable to use Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to use Taskbar: I am unable to use the Task Bar at the bottom of the screen, Locked up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-use-taskbar/1bfe7d8e-b6f1-4953-b871-090c7eebfd90