Windows 10: Unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint

Discus and support Unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi, I use Windows Hello Fingerprint to log into my laptop. Recently, whenever I put my finger on the scanner, it would say "Your PIN is required to... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Kai_Yin, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Kai_Yin Win User

Unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint

Hi,

I use Windows Hello Fingerprint to log into my laptop. Recently, whenever I put my finger on the scanner, it would say "Your PIN is required to sign in." I did some digging on the internet, and one source said that I should set Credential Manager vaultsvc to automatic. It worked.

Every time I log out or shut down my laptop, Credential Manager would be disabled again, and the fingerprint scanner would not work. Why is this happening, and how should I fix it?

BTW, I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.870.

Help is much appreciated.

Kai

:)

Kai_Yin, Apr 4, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows Hello Fingerprint issue

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint to sign in to Windows. It would be great if you can reply with the details requested below:

• When you say, “I am not getting the option to log-in into windows using fingerprint.” What login options do you see on the login screen?
    • What happens when you try to use the Windows Hello Fingerprint scanner to login to Windows?
    • Were you able to use the Windows Hello Fingerprint to login to Windows earlier?

Ideally, on the login screen, you will see Sign-in options that allows you to use different sign-in methods to login to Windows.

As you have mentioned that you are able to use the Fingerprint scanner on websites, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. On the login screen, click on Sign-in options.
    2. Click on the Fingerprint icon, scan the Fingerprint, and see if you are able to sign in.

Refer the screenshot below:

Unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint fc087693-5104-47d8-960f-4d6097885918?upload=true.jpg

If the issue persists, try removing the Fingerprint and add it again. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Accounts and click on
      Sign-in options
      on the left pane.
    3. Now, click on Windows Hello Fingerprint and click on
      Remove.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the Fingerprint.
    5. Once done, click on Set up and follow the on-screen instructions to add the Fingerprint.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 4, 2021
  3. Windows Hello Fingerprint issue

Hi Nikhar,

Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday I had a chat discussion with one of the Microsoft tech agents. After much troubleshooting and hit and try, some issues got fixed.

I use HP Client Security for fingerprint login. There I also created 'spare key' which was preventing Windows to show fingerprint login option. When I removed spare key option, I got back the fingerprint login option for me.

Thanks & regards,

Rajesh Pathak

RajeshfromIndia, Apr 4, 2021
  4. Unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint

Windows Hello Fingerprint not working

This is still not working after doing all those steps, please help after the Windows update it stopped working and it says the following : we couldn't find a fingerprint scanner compatible with windows hello fingerprint.

After taking all the steps you suggested on here it says i have the latest update.

MildredMorales2, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

Unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint

1. Unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint - Similar Threads - Unable Hello Fingerprint

2. Using fingerprint WITHOUT Windows Hello on Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using fingerprint WITHOUT Windows Hello on Win11: I would like to use fingerprint login for some apps but don't want to activate Windows Hello which would then require I use that every time I leave my computer. My computer is in my secure home and I only want to use a fingerprint to log into apps. Can this be done?...
  3. Using fingerprint WITHOUT Windows Hello on Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using fingerprint WITHOUT Windows Hello on Win11: I would like to use fingerprint login for some apps but don't want to activate Windows Hello which would then require I use that every time I leave my computer. My computer is in my secure home and I only want to use a fingerprint to log into apps. Can this be done?...
  4. I am unable to use windows hello or the fingerprint scanner on my laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I am unable to use windows hello or the fingerprint scanner on my laptop: I have an ASUS Zenbook pro and it has a finger printscanner. I was able to use it for able a year then it just stopped working, windows hello has never worked. I can't even use a pin. I have to use the image code...I have tried updating the drivers, updating permissions, and...
  5. I am unable to use windows hello or the fingerprint scanner on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to use windows hello or the fingerprint scanner on my laptop: I have an ASUS Zenbook pro and it has a finger printscanner. I was able to use it for able a year then it just stopped working, windows hello has never worked. I can't even use a pin. I have to use the image code...I have tried updating the drivers, updating permissions, and...
  6. I am unable to use windows hello or the fingerprint scanner on my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to Add Additional Fingerprint in Windows Hello

Unable to Add Additional Fingerprint in Windows Hello: There is an issue with Windows Hello Fingerprint. I could add the first fingerprint but when I choose toadd another fingerprint, it shows me the error "Your Device Is Having Trouble Recognizing You. Please Try Again". The weird part is that if I removed my first fingerprint...
  8. Unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint: I am unable to use windows hello fingerprint after installing my new windows 10. I have checked every options and contacted to Microsoft support as well. It was working fine for couple of days after installing the Windows 10. See below for error code. [ATTACH]...
  9. Unable to set up windows hello fingerprint

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to set up windows hello fingerprint: Hi, as seen from the picture it says that windows hello fingerprint is unavailable and I am currently using a Lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon 7th gen. Any idea how to fix this problem? [ATTACH]...
  10. Unable to setup Windows Hello to use Fingerprint sensor

Unable to setup Windows Hello to use Fingerprint sensor: I recently had my laptop fixed (I did something dumb and needed to have a factory reset). I connected my hotmail account to my laptop sign in account and I wanted to set up the fingerprint reader as an option to sign into my laptop... however I cannot for the life of me...