Windows 10: Unable to view JPG's in specfic folders

Discus and support Unable to view JPG's in specfic folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running clean install Windows 10 pro, I did add a reg fix to enable photo viewer, which worked fine. I have a many picture folders, which I was able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by exasperated, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Unable to view JPG's in specfic folders

Running clean install Windows 10 pro, I did add a reg fix to enable photo viewer, which worked fine.

I have a many picture folders, which I was able to view all fine. Suddenly only on a few folders (approx 3 from 40) I started getting "windows photo viewer can't open this picture because either photo viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to photo viewer, error. I tried to view the same jpg's using Win10 photo and get the error "it appears we don't support this file format"... One folder has a BMP image which also won't open with any app, including paint.

Went to my backup copies, same issue. I can eliminate any malware or virus issue as I regularly scan my PC. I'm concerned because I could view these jpg's previously, I am thinking some sort of registry issue. I copied folder to USB and tried to open on another Win10 PC, with the same result. I then tried to open the jpg's on a Win 7 machine, same result. Have moved file from folder still won't open, check attributes of folder/files, I have full rights.

Now I'm concerned that the 40 or so "precious" files have become corrupt which would include my backup copies. The fact I've tried to access these files on three devices without success.

One Win10 device has the following event log entry;

"Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information."

Copying un-effective JPEGS into the effective folders open, copying singles files from other folders to affective folder won't open.

I tried to upload a file that won't open, it returns the message photo1.jpg this is not a valid image file.

At a loss as I can't open these files on three devices, advice gratefully appreciated.

:)

exasperated, Sep 20, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Can I select the Getty Images photo from 3 days ago as my Lock Screen background?

Hu Jennifer,

Open Windows File Explorer

On the View Ribbon, check the box marked 'Hidden Items' and 'File name Extensions'

In theFile Explorer's address bar, paste this:

%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Assets

Inside that folder you will see a lot of files with long alpha numeric names

They are jpg image files without the file extension

Copy them into a new folder

In the new folder, append .jpg to the name of each of those files, so that Windows recognises them as jpg image files

Then set the folder view to large thiumbnails so you can find the image of the Eiffel tower

DaveM121, Sep 20, 2015
  3. garym123 Win User
    groove music

On your PC, go to the folder the music is in. at the top, select 'view', then 'content'.

This lets you see what is actually in the tag for album art. It should be the complete art you expect.

Other views use the jpg that is in the folder.

garym123, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Unable to view JPG's in specfic folders

Some sort of file corruption occurred when copying 29GB of photographs and movies from one drive to another, I used the tool recurva to recover the majority of corrupted files.

exasperated, Sep 20, 2015
  5. wfbw Win User
    Hello Exasperated,

I had a similar problem. I downloaded photos from my Canon Rebel EOS T5 camera to a laptop running Windows 7. Photos saved fine and I could open on this laptop. I then moved the files from the laptop to an external hard drive (WD Passport). When I try to open the files on a different laptop running Windows 10, I get the same error message you got. I've tried several different photo viewing programs (Photoshop Express, Windows Phot Viewer, Photo Gallery etc.) to open the files and none work. This sounds similar to your issue but files are not corrupted as I can still open them on the Windows 7 laptop - any ideas before I try recurve? Thanks

wfbw, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Unable to view JPG's in specfic folders

1. Unable to view JPG's in specfic folders - Similar Threads - Unable view JPG's

2. Unable to view any JPG JPEG files on my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to view any JPG JPEG files on my PC: Hi all,Quite literally, yesterday morning I was able to see my photos that I had downloaded and saved to my hard drive. I would be able to view these in the default picture app in windows.Then after lunch, I get a pop window saying that "The application has not been...
  3. Unable to view any JPG JPEG files on my PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to view any JPG JPEG files on my PC: Hi all,Quite literally, yesterday morning I was able to see my photos that I had downloaded and saved to my hard drive. I would be able to view these in the default picture app in windows.Then after lunch, I get a pop window saying that "The application has not been...
  4. Unable to view any JPG JPEG files on my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to view all pictures in a folder on OneDrive

Unable to view all pictures in a folder on OneDrive: I have about 100 pictures in a folder on Onedrive via Outlook.com. I can view about 60-70 by using the arrow key. Then it stalls. It doesn't matter whether I am on Win 10 or 11 pro. It's frustrating. At first, I thought the folder was too big but reducing the number of...
  6. Unable to view folders/files in encrypted drive

Unable to view folders/files in encrypted drive: After much pain trying to fix Windows Update using several tutorials, I reset Windows on C: partition. That worked nicely, and Update is working perfectly, as is everything else on C:My problem is with partition D: which is encrypted with bitlocker. After entering the...
  7. .jpg unable to view

.jpg unable to view: A few months ago when I was trying to look at some old pics that I have saved on my computer decided not to work. The icon changed and when I click on it, it will open but has an error telling me it can't open this file. I have changed the default app viewer and that did not...
  8. Picture jpg views as icons

Picture jpg views as icons: When I moved my picture files to a new computer, the views were all changed and mixed, and I can't change them all to actual picture icons as I had before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/picture-jpg-views-as-icons/9af10df9-aee3-4a29-9b4e-95c19d6b64d1"
  9. Unable to view old style jpg compression 6 photos on windows 10

Unable to view old style jpg compression 6 photos on windows 10: I have backed up photos taken with Sony DSC camera on a DVD using Roxio on windows XP desktop. I am now trying to open the photos using photo viewer on windows 10 laptop and notice files can not be open. Error file format is not supported, either files are damaged,...
  10. Viewing jpg pictures

Viewing jpg pictures: New W10. In W7 I would simply click on a picture to enlarge it. Some of mine are cartoon drawings with the punch line or caption running along the bottom. Just one left click was needed to view the whole thing. Can such a simple procedure be found in W10? When I click on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I received this message viewing a picture file The remote procedure call failed. was a hacker accessing my PC system?