Windows 10: Unable to virtualize Linux on Windows 10 using raw hard disk access of VirtualBox.

Discus and support Unable to virtualize Linux on Windows 10 using raw hard disk access of VirtualBox. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10.I have a second physical disk with Ubuntu that I can also boot into if I want to. This is a separate physical disk.I want to boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by C.E. Coppola, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Unable to virtualize Linux on Windows 10 using raw hard disk access of VirtualBox.

I am using Windows 10.I have a second physical disk with Ubuntu that I can also boot into if I want to. This is a separate physical disk.I want to boot from this entire physical disk using VirtualBox from inside Windows 10.I have followed the VirtualBox instructions for creating the *.vmdk file, but when I do this, I get "Fatal Error 18," which doesn't boot anything and doesn't even give a shell prompt. I cannot find any information about how to fix this error.I need advice from someone who is already familiar with Windows disk permissions and virtualization about how to make this work. I can

:)

C.E. Coppola, Sep 15, 2021

2. Can I access a real Mac hard drive in VirtualBox?

Well you need a .vdi file generated from a RAW disk.

To accomplish this I'd use the linux utility "dd" which is incredibly useful when working with virtual machines and disks (but there are several alternatives). It's very powerful so be careful that you don't accidentally run it on the wrong drive (as it will delete it!!).

Here's a small (incredibly small) tutorial:
    KVM 80 on CentOS 5.2

The two commands:
    The location "/dev/hda" may be different when you're running linux and if you're not sure try running "df -h" to list your HDDs.

If you don't have a system with linux installed you can use a live CD but you'll need two HDDs. One that is big enough to hold the "hda.img" and "hda.vdi" files and your original OS X HDD.

If you're not at least casually acquainted with Linux I'd recommend getting help from one of your friend's who is.

You'll may also need a copy of the Empire EFI disc image which you'll load into the virtual CD-ROM drive so that it is executed as the first boot device in the virtual machine. VirtualBox does have an option for EFI that may work but I've never tried it.

As I said earlier, even if you do all the right things I sincerely doubt you'll get it running in VirtualBox.

streetfighter 2, Sep 15, 2021
  3. Aquinus Win User
    Recomended Linux Distros

VirtualBox is a free virtualization platform. You can "install" linux or most other operating systems into a virtual machine on your PC and use it inside of Windows. This lets you install Linux on a virtual disk image and not burn away a disk to do it.

VirtualBox 4.3.26 for Windows download link

Aquinus, Sep 15, 2021
  4. Mr Morgan Win User

Unable to virtualize Linux on Windows 10 using raw hard disk access of VirtualBox.

Windows 10 unable to access external hard disk

Hello

I wonder if anyone can assist at all?

I use external hard disks for storing music and other media multimedia content, as well as for moving data between PCs. Earlier today though, all of a sudden, Windows was unable to access the drive the PC in question referred to as G:\.

Numerous attempts to use G:\ on the PC failed, and I was also unable to have another machine access the drive. The icon for the drive would simply not appear in Windows File Manager. Consequently, I was unable to run CHKDSK in any PC mode because Windows could not access G:\.

Checking the logs of the PC in question, I did find this message:

Unable to virtualize Linux on Windows 10 using raw hard disk access of VirtualBox. [​IMG]

Presuming the on-line scan referred to is Windows Defender, I tried an on-line scan but it seems that these only look at the C:\ of a PC.

So, I either have to replace the disk in question, or can anyone suggest what might be a way forward?

Thanks

Mr Morgan, Sep 15, 2021
Thema:

Unable to virtualize Linux on Windows 10 using raw hard disk access of VirtualBox.

1. Unable to virtualize Linux on Windows 10 using raw hard disk access of VirtualBox. - Similar Threads - Unable virtualize Linux

2. HARD DISK IS SHOWING RAW

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HARD DISK IS SHOWING RAW: Hard disk showing raw message https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-is-showing-raw/e64ed05b-48bb-4594-a226-2914a72ea49a
  3. HARD DISK IS SHOWING RAW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HARD DISK IS SHOWING RAW: Hard disk showing raw message https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-is-showing-raw/e64ed05b-48bb-4594-a226-2914a72ea49a
  4. HARD DISK IS SHOWING RAW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??: I don't understand, I thought download a file into a VHD means the file takes space from VHD, but, when I download a file it takes space both 2 hard disk with a same file size it takesExample: Download 1GB file = C: disk minus 1GB and the VHD minus 1GB.Now my question is: How...
  6. Windows 10 unable to access external hard disk

Windows 10 unable to access external hard disk: Hello I wonder if anyone can assist at all? I use external hard disks for storing music and other media multimedia content, as well as for moving data between PCs. Earlier today though, all of a sudden, Windows was unable to access the drive the PC in question referred to as...
  7. Raw Hard disk with blue screen

Raw Hard disk with blue screen: Hey guys.. How are ya all I hope you're doing well... Lately, I have been facing a problem on my hp laptop which is running in windows 10 os. First of all, I have a 320 GB hard disk divided to 3 partitions. C partition is running fine but D and E are not. Both D...
  8. Kali Linux on hard disk?

Kali Linux on hard disk?: Good morning I have 2 hard disks in my PC both HDD hard disks one is 1TB big and the other one has Windows on it. And the other one is 3TB big and so far only games on it. My question, can I install Kali Linux on my 3TB hard drive? Will all games still remain on the hard...
  9. Compacting virtual hard disks

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Compacting virtual hard disks: Compressing a vhdx file in Hyper-V Well I have had fun today trying to compress some vhdx files used in Hyper-V. My VHDXs only had around 15GB of files (10 pro Insider 15061) including hidden files after disk cleanup when in Hyper-V but the vhdx files were around 40 GB/...
  10. Hard drive to RAW and unknown disk

Hard drive to RAW and unknown disk: my hard drive changed to raw, and now do not look in windows! In the data manager, I can see that it exists. unknown disk no initiated! I can not format it and can not change partition or do anything else? I have tried many programs, mini tools two but it's coming nowhere! is...