Windows 10: Unable to wake up the pc from sleep through an event/task.

Discus and support Unable to wake up the pc from sleep through an event/task. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [ Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, 19042.867 ] Hello all o/ I created the following task using the task scheduler: [Trigger I used: Begin the task: On an event... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Technewbie, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Unable to wake up the pc from sleep through an event/task.

[ Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, 19042.867 ]

Hello all o/

I created the following task using the task scheduler:
    [Trigger I used:
    Begin the task: On an event
    Log: Microsoft-Windows-NetworkProfile/Operational
    Source: NetworkProfile
    Event ID: 10001

Action when the task is triggered:

run cmd.exe ]
    It's working as it is supposed to when the pc is on, the problem is that I cannot get it to work while the pc is in sleep mode.

I should note that creating a scheduled task on the other hand wakes up the pc from sleep:
    [Trigger I used:
    Begin the task: On a Schedule
    at 11pm

Action when the task is triggered:

run cmd.exe ]

I've tried every combination of settings for the task, and it just won't run/wake up from sleep.

If you are wondering what's the use of the above task,
    I have frequent power outages in my area so I'm using my LAN connection as a trigger & by replacing the action "cmd.exe with shutdown /s" I'm shutting down my pc, until the time I get a new UPS ;-;.
    The issue arises only when the pc sleeps, I can just disable sleep but I frequently go afk so I don't want the pc to stay on the whole time, attached some screenshots for more info, I would appreciate any help/solution thank you Unable to wake up the pc from sleep through an event/task. :D.

:)

Technewbie, Mar 25, 2021
  2. Valantar Win User

Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

First off: I tried disabling wake-up by the mouse on both PCs and disabling USB Selective Suspend too, to no avail.
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into that. Good to know that powercfg can list all wake-enabled devices, 'cause when I went through all ... eight-ish PCI-to-PCI bridge devices in Device Manager, none of them had wake events listed (in the "events" tab under Properties), which doesn't quite add up with one/more of them waking the PC a dozen or so times over the last few days. Of course, they don't even have the option to enable/disable waking the PC in the properties menu. I'll take a look at disabling a bunch of stuff through powercfg once I get home from work.

Sorry if I came across as rude, but honestly, your reply did not at all indicate that you'd read my post in the first place. I said I'd been looking at wake-up history in the Windows event log, and I listed several of the devices cited there as having woken up the PC. If you came away with the impression that I hadn't investigated this thoroughly, I suppose I might not have been clear enough, but it's all there in the post. While powercfg does give out some more detail (device IDs and such) than Event Viewer, it only lists the last wake-up, and as such doesn't really help in this instance, as it's clearly not a single device at fault, and tracking wake-ups over time seems more useful. Also, figuring out how to view wake-up events in the Event Log is what you do after you've concluded that powercfg isn't giving you enough information *Wink Unable to wake up the pc from sleep through an event/task. ;)

Valantar, Mar 25, 2021
  3. noneterry Win User
    Unable to wake from sleep from time to time

Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my CPU from i7 860 to i7 4790k with MSI's Z97S Krait Edition mobo.
    I have experienced some anomaly when putting my PC into sleep mode from time to time.
    First, the PC sometimes go into Sleep mode without cutting off the power to my peripherals (ie, keyboard and mouse are still glowing even though the tower was powered off).
    Second, in some occasion, when I pushed the power button to wake the PC (I set the power button for sleep/wake event), I got no response to my monitor, keyboard and mouse even though the tower is powered on with its fans and everything running inside. The only fix is to do a hard reset. (push reset button on the case)
    However, Windows 7 did not recognize the hard reset as an "unsuccessful shutdown" (no error) and entered the OS normally with all my progress intact before the sleep (as if it was just woke up from Sleep).

This phenomenon only occurs randomly and I am unable to replicate it at will. I suspect motherboard malfunction. What do you guys think?

noneterry, Mar 25, 2021
  4. Unable to wake up the pc from sleep through an event/task.

Sleep / Wake Function, malfunctions after waking

Hi,

Issues that arise after waking up the PC from sleep mode might have been caused by a software conflict or system file corruption. For us to clarify the issue, we would like to ask these questions:

• What is the exact issue that you are experiencing?
    • Did you notice any recent system changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you encountered any error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

If you are having issues waking your PC from sleep, we suggest running the
    Power troubleshooter
    as an initial troubleshooting. Kindly follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Troubleshoot, and then press Enter.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, click on Power.
    • Click on Run the troubleshooter button.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.

We will wait for your response.

Janeane Cru, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

Unable to wake up the pc from sleep through an event/task.

1. Unable to wake up the pc from sleep through an event/task. - Similar Threads - Unable wake sleep

2. PC not waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not waking up from sleep: I have an HP Pavilion All in One running Windows 11. It is set to go to sleep after 20 minutes of non use - setting as delivered. It has suddenly started to not wake up when pressing a keyboard key and I have to resort to forced power off and power up again. I have checked in...
  3. PC not waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not waking up from sleep: I have an HP Pavilion All in One running Windows 11. It is set to go to sleep after 20 minutes of non use - setting as delivered. It has suddenly started to not wake up when pressing a keyboard key and I have to resort to forced power off and power up again. I have checked in...
  4. Windows 11 unable to wake up from sleep

Windows 11 unable to wake up from sleep: Started about a week ago, my computer stopped waking up from sleep. Whenever I uses mouse, keyboard, or the power button to "wake" it up, the fan revvs up for a couple of seconds, but then it dies down, and the power LED remains blinking and the screen remains black. Nothing...
  5. PC wakes up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC wakes up from sleep mode: I put PC to sleep, it usually only stays asleep for a few minutes and wakes back up.I Googled online and carried out following:In Power & sleep set up in 'allow wake timers'I set to disabled.No difference.Then found that you can see the cause by using CMD and running:...
  6. PC wakes up from sleep mode

PC wakes up from sleep mode: I put PC to sleep, it usually only stays asleep for a few minutes and wakes back up.I Googled online and carried out following:In Power & sleep set up in 'allow wake timers'I set to disabled.No difference.Then found that you can see the cause by using CMD and running:...
  7. PC wakes up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. PC doesn't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC doesn't wake up from sleep: I have an iBuyPower pre-built desktop gaming PC that I bought late last year. Recently it's been having a problem. Whenever it goes to sleep, and when I try waking it up, it will act like it's waking up In the sense that the fan will spin up and the power LED goes steady...
  9. PC waking up by itself from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    PC waking up by itself from sleep: Since installing the 1903 update (running W10 Pro), I've noticed on several occasions that my PC has turned itself on from sleep... I've done some investigating and found the following is waking up the PC: [img] What is "Universal Orchestrator Idle Start" exactly and...
  10. Find "Wake up from sleep" Scheduled Tasks

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Find "Wake up from sleep" Scheduled Tasks: Other than going through each and every task in the task scheduler, is there a way to see those that are allowed to wake the machine while it is sleeping? My PC woke up this morning at 3:30 am. It then went back to sleep about ten minutes later. I've checked all of the normal...