Windows 10: "Unable to write to this location" error

Discus and support "Unable to write to this location" error in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have been using Kodak Imaging (last provided by MS with windows XP) successfully on every operating system since XP. The program files are saved... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kevvyb, Jul 9, 2017.

1. kevvyb Win User

"Unable to write to this location" error

Hi
    I have been using Kodak Imaging (last provided by MS with windows XP) successfully on every operating system since XP. The program files are saved in Programs (x86), the ocx files are registered using the command prompt and hey presto, it works fine.

On windows 10 too until I get this error today on trying to save output from the program (an appended page to existing tif file):

"Unable to write to this location. Possible causes may be low disk space, write protection or invalid filename."

I have just reregistered all the ocx files and made sure that the program is still running with administrator privileges. No go. I can find nothing on google that matches an error like this..so far.

Can anyone with more knowledge than I give me a pointer as to where to start. (I have already restarted machine - first thing I did).

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Is only happening with existing files when trying to append a page - something I have been doing for years. Creating a new file saves ok in the same location as the problematic existing file.

:)

kevvyb, Jul 9, 2017

2. " Nokia Simple " theme - where it this theme?

hi,

Some days ago on page
    http://ea.mobile.nokia.com/content/spin/ea/6120c/en/theme/index.xhtml
    or in phone (nokia 6120c) themes/general/download themes/ was very cool theme (light cream white, black fonts) " Nokia Simple ", now its dissapear from this site. Where i can get it?
    or maybe somebody has it and could send to me.

thx

szympek123, Jul 9, 2017
  3. 93tid Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Jul 9, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

It's probably that you have to have complete Ownership of that folder, so Windows would write to it.
    Windows 10 uses a different folder to save program files' data to.
    In XP, it used to write at: C:\Program Files & C:\Program Files (x86)
    But in Windows 10, whenever files need to get saved to "Program Files", Windows 10 writes those files at somewhere in: C:\Users\Admin\AppData

Yet if you have COMPLETE ownership of that folder in Program Files, then Windows 10 will write there.

pepanee, Jul 10, 2017
  5. kevvyb Win User
    Hi thanks. Not actually writing to the program files folder, unless the program is writing something there when I save a file elsewhere. But will check on ownership of folder locations to see if that works. Thanks again.

kevvyb, Jul 10, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    There's a possibility that the program is trying to write some files there, like updating its settings every time the program runs.

One thing you can try is to make a copy the whole program's directory on the Desktop or something, and run the program from that folder. Does it say the same thing?

pepanee, Jul 10, 2017
  7. kevvyb Win User
    • Hmmmm, I wonder if I should have done this. I took ownership of complete "Program Files (x86)" folder. And still does not allow save. Might have been better to just limit it to the folder that this program may be writing too....? Are there any down sides to what I have done and can it be reversed?
    • The program does not appear to have a folder in any of the appdata folders.

This was working ok the week before on this machine as it has done for years.

UPDATE:
    Copying the file to desktop, appending page works there and allows saving. So you are right it looks like something to do with location permissions. Should a restart required after applying 'take ownership' registry entry?

kevvyb, Jul 10, 2017
  8. pepanee Win User

1) Hmm. It's best not to have ownership of the whole Program Files folder. See if you can do a System Restore to the last one. Search for System Restore.

2) There is no appdata folder for it because what I understood was that you said it's a really old app, which means that the data that gets saved for the app wasn't programmed to have a folder in the appdata folder.

If it was working well just a week before, then try uninstalling/reinstalling the program instead.

pepanee, Jul 10, 2017
  9. kevvyb Win User
    Thanks but as stated previously there is no installation routine. Files are just saved on the hard drive and the ocx files registered manually using command prompt, which I have already tried.

kevvyb, Jul 10, 2017
  10. kevvyb Win User
    kevvyb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "Unable to write to this location" error - Similar Threads - Unable write location

2. "error writing to the temporary location"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "error writing to the temporary location": Hi, I have windows 10 pro 22h2 and I have downloaded application running java environment and its files but when I click app it occurs "error writing to the temporary location" by the way, I saw "error writing temporary file. Make sure your temp folder is valid". my friends...
  3. "error writing to the temporary location"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "error writing to the temporary location": Hi, I have windows 10 pro 22h2 and I have downloaded application running java environment and its files but when I click app it occurs "error writing to the temporary location" by the way, I saw "error writing temporary file. Make sure your temp folder is valid". my friends...
  4. "error writing to the temporary location"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to change the writing location for programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change the writing location for programs: I am trying to save space for my steam games and I was doing a routine clean up when I noticed that in my hard drive E, there were programs saving and installing there. I intentionally do not install programs there and never save data there other than steam games. What...
  6. How to change the writing location for programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the writing location for programs: I am trying to save space for my steam games and I was doing a routine clean up when I noticed that in my hard drive E, there were programs saving and installing there. I intentionally do not install programs there and never save data there other than steam games. What...
  7. How to change the writing location for programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unable to remove write protection

Unable to remove write protection: I'm not able to delete some files in my pc. They're actually in my phone and I'm not able to see them even if I "enable show hidden files" in my phone.So I plugged in the USB cable, went to my phone downloads, and then tried to delete it. But it shows unable to delete because...
  9. "no write permission to specific location" issues

"no write permission to specific location" issues: have windows 10 unfortunately, and using Kodak printer to scan docs and pics-getting message "no write permission to specific location". NOTHING has been changed by me to my system, but seems EVERY time windows sneaks in to do an upgrade I have another annoying problem. How...
  10. Unable to write on HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to write on HDD?: I have Recently upgraded to Window 10 and transferred my computer to a new case. I used this opportunity to get a new SSD and HDD. My plan was to Have only windows 10 on my SSD and use the HDD as storage and for software that has frequent updates. Windows 10 recognizes...