Windows 10: unallocated partition

Discus and support unallocated partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Not often I look in disk management, but now I see that I have an unallocated partition on my SSD. I am certain that in the past there was not such a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PiKo, Oct 30, 2017.

1. PiKo Win User

unallocated partition

Not often I look in disk management, but now I see that I have an unallocated partition on my SSD.
    I am certain that in the past there was not such a thing.
    My question is what might be a possible reason that such a partition develops?

:)

2. Unallocated Partition

I have a 16mb unallocated partition on my system drive. I want to merge it to the main (Cunallocated partition :) drive but the merge option is not available in the right-click menu. The drop down menu only shows "new simple volume." How do I merge this space to the main drive?

unallocated partition [​IMG]

Matthew Hoban, Oct 30, 2017
  3. Unallocated Partition

Hello Matthew,

The issue that you are facing is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Community. We suggest posting your question in TechNet
    Forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well-equipped with the knowledge on such issues.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to share them with us here. Your input is very much welcome in our Community.

Michelle Vil, Oct 30, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

unallocated partition

Can you post a screen shot of your disk management window.

Plankton, Oct 30, 2017
  5. PiKo Win User

6. Plankton Win User
    The whole window please.

Plankton, Oct 30, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    It looks like it used to be a manufacturer's recovery partition at one time. It could also have been left unallocated for overprovisioning and when you did a Windows upgrade, the upgrade process stuck a new recovery partition at the end of the drive. I would delete the first recovery partition, then expand C: drive into the resulting consolidated free space, then if needed fix the Windows recovery environment with the reagentc /setreimage command.

NavyLCDR, Oct 30, 2017
  8. miata54 Win User

unallocated partition

Is there a tutorial on how to do this?

miata54, Oct 30, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    @miata54

Real easy. Once you have the unallocated space available, right click the partition you want to expand, and click Extend Volume. Choose all available space it says you can. Apply.

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  10. miata54 Win User
    Easy indeed.

Thanks

miata54, Oct 30, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    You're welcome. Not sure there is a formal tutorial for that. Probably is. TF has a tutorial for everything under the sun! Written by very sharp people.

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I recommend for less experienced users to use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free:
    MiniTool Free Partition Manager for Window 8/7/vista/xp | Partition Wizard Free Edition

The reason is that it will let you delete, move and expand partitions in ways that Windows either won't do, or will complain about doing. You would right click on the recovery partition to the right of your C: drive partition and delete it. Then resize the C: drive partition to fill all the empty space that gets created next to it. Don't forget to click apply in Partition Manager.

After that, restart the computer. Then open a Command Prompt (admin) or Powershell (Admin) and run the command:
    reagentc /info

that will tell us if you need to reset your Advanced Recovery options menu. Even if we can't reset it, there is very little that you lose, everything on that menu (you get that menu holding down shift when you click on restart on the power button icon) can also be found by booting from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD.

NavyLCDR, Oct 30, 2017
  13. Steve C Win User

unallocated partition

+1 for NavyLCDR advice above. I can recommend MiniTool Partition Wizard free which also lets you peruse the contents of hidden partitions.

Steve C, Oct 31, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    I agree, MiniTool is an excellent partition manager and manipulator and exploring tool. It can do many, many things. In this particular case, all the OP needs to do is extend the volume, and the native Windows Disk Management is quick, easy, doesn't involve downloading, installing, and learning a new app just to do that. But, Minitool is great as a deeper tech tool.

f14tomcat, Oct 31, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Using disk management, where would the OP extend the C: drive volume to? There is a recovery partition directly to the right of it in the way.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

unallocated partition

1. unallocated partition - Similar Threads - unallocated partition

2. There are unallocated spaces where there should be ufi partition and recovery partitions...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There are unallocated spaces where there should be ufi partition and recovery partitions...: So I reinstalled windows as there was corruption with my previous install in disk 0 but after reinstall there are no ufi and recovery partitions...
  3. There are unallocated spaces where there should be ufi partition and recovery partitions...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There are unallocated spaces where there should be ufi partition and recovery partitions...: So I reinstalled windows as there was corruption with my previous install in disk 0 but after reinstall there are no ufi and recovery partitions...
  4. There are unallocated spaces where there should be ufi partition and recovery partitions...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent: I have 4 partitions on my C: drive, in order left-to-right on Disk Management: 579M Recovery Partition, 99.33G Boot, 100M EFI, 50G Unallocated. I want to merge the Boot partition with the Unallocated, but they are not adjacent. I've read several posts on this but I find them...
  6. Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent: I have 4 partitions on my C: drive, in order left-to-right on Disk Management: 579M Recovery Partition, 99.33G Boot, 100M EFI, 50G Unallocated. I want to merge the Boot partition with the Unallocated, but they are not adjacent. I've read several posts on this but I find them...
  7. Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent

8. How can I merge the OS C: partition and the "116.21 GB Unallocated" partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I merge the OS C: partition and the "116.21 GB Unallocated" partition?: Hi,How can I merge the OS partition on Disk 1 with the Unallocated partition on Disk 1? They are separated by the "Healthy EFI System Partition", and I am unable to merge them because of this.This is a link to the Disk Manager app. How can I merge the "OS C:" and the...
  9. How can I merge the OS C: partition and the "116.21 GB Unallocated" partition?

How can I merge the OS C: partition and the "116.21 GB Unallocated" partition?: Hi,How can I merge the OS partition on Disk 1 with the Unallocated partition on Disk 1? They are separated by the "Healthy EFI System Partition", and I am unable to merge them because of this.This is a link to the Disk Manager app. How can I merge the "OS C:" and the...
  10. Deleted Ubuntu partition. Now the space shows as "unallocated". Unable to create a new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted Ubuntu partition. Now the space shows as "unallocated". Unable to create a new...: When I try to right click and create a "new simple volume" , I get an error that says there is not enough disk space. I also tried reinstalling Ubuntu to check if I can install again on this disk space. How can I get back this disk space/reinstall on this unallocated space?...