Windows 10: Unbootable 1TB SSD. Need Help

Discus and support Unbootable 1TB SSD. Need Help in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all, I recently ran into a bit of trouble with my MSI GT70 2PC Dominator. Last week I tried to turn it on, but it would only boot to bios, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tpayne22, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Tpayne22 Win User

Unbootable 1TB SSD. Need Help

Hello all,
    I recently ran into a bit of trouble with my MSI GT70 2PC Dominator. Last week I tried to turn it on, but it would only boot to bios, and would not recognize any ports. After a few days of fiddling with the boot order in bios, and changing to Legacy I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it with a can of air and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. I also replaced the thermal paste while I was in there. After putting it back together, I found that it would recognize an HDD, but not the SSD. I tried the SSD on different computers with a USB to SATA cable but would not show up in Windows or Linux. I lost all of my data (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ (T..T) ... Deep breath... and exhale...
    After getting Windows reinstalled and running on the HDD, I opened up the SSD from its protective case, removed all the plastic, and placed it in a Pyrex container and blasted it with my heat gun for 10-15 minutes chip side up dispersing the heat evenly and slowly throughout the board of the SSD. This made all the solder connections reflow, and fix any plausible shorts on the drive. After letting it cool for about an hour or two, I connected it to my laptop with the USB to SATA cable, and I am now able to see all the data that was stored on it. I quickly made a backup of all the data I could get my hands on. However, I am left with only one problem that I am trying to solve. (tl;dr): I need the SSD to be bootable again. It will not boot. Somehow during the process of data recovery Windows is not being seen. I would really like to make this drive bootable so that I don't have to buy another version of Windows, and so that I can make a proper clone of it on the HDD.

Thanks in advance,
    Tara Nicole Payne

:)

Tpayne22, Jul 8, 2017
  2. sro1234 Win User

Free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 -- Dual Boot

Put the SSD drive in the computer, temporarily remove the 1Tb drive, install Win7 to the SSD, upgrade to Win10, reinstall the 1Tb drive. Or if you're trying to keep all the programs that were installed on the 1Tb drive, clone it to the SSD using clonezilla
    or something, remove the 1Tb drive, and upgrade the SSD to Win10.

sro1234, Jul 8, 2017
  3. The "New apps will save to:" option is grayed out under Save Locations (Storage <- Settings)

If you have 1TB SSD D: drive, what is your C: drive? Can you instead use the 1TB SSD as the C: drive?

Don Cuthbert, Jul 8, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

I am impressed you managed to recover the data. You would not have to buy a new licence to reinstall windows 10 on pc.

I cannot say if it is possible to make SSD bootable again - I had one glitch and I could read data, and no matter what I tried everything wiping drive etc, it would never reboot again. I assume something had failed eg in mbr boot sector.

cereberus, Jul 8, 2017
  5. Tpayne22 Win User
    Also, I am wondering if it is possible to recover the product key from the SSD.

Tpayne22, Jul 8, 2017
  6. Tpayne22 Win User
    Thank you for your comment. 3 years in an EET (Electrical Engineering Tech) major in College, and a Electronics Technician certificate. Pretty good at reviving hardware. Not so much at software. Still, tho... what I did to revive the drive is the last resort; all or nothing effort. Could I make the drive mountable somehow?

Tpayne22, Jul 8, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Amazing recovery.
    Where did you learn those techniques?
    Has anyone done that on youtube?

With your digital license if you removed the SSD and replaced it with a HD you should be able to install windows on the HD. How come you need to make the SSD bootable if you have all of the files already backed up?

Does your computer only have a primary bay or does it have a secondary bay? Or is there a way to have the operating system on the SSD and use the HD as a storage drive at the same time? Or vice a versa?

zbook, Jul 8, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 8, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Most installs of windows have a digital licence tied to mobo id, and upon reintall, it activates automatically,

How did you install windows 10 originally?

cereberus, Jul 8, 2017
  10. Tpayne22 Win User
    " Where did you learn those techniques?"

-Valencia Community College
    "Has anyone done that on youtube?"

Linus Tech Tips, but he failed because he did not do it the right way."How come you need to make the SSD bootable if you have all of the files already backed up?"

1. I want the version of windows that I upgraded to from 8.1.

2. I want to make sure that I recover 100% of the data, and I only have the 1TB SSD and the 1TB HDD.

If I can make the SSD bootable, then I can accomplish those two objectives, and use the HDD to run a RAID 1 system to ensure this does not happen again.
    "Does your computer only have a primary bay or does it have a secondary bay?"

-It has two bays.

"Or is there a way to have the operating system on the SSD and use the HD as a storage drive at the same time? Or vice a versa?"

I can clone the HDD to the SSD, but it would delete all the data on the SSD. I want to bring that back to life.

Tpayne22, Jul 8, 2017
  11. Tpayne22 Win User
    Free upgrade from 8.1

Tpayne22, Jul 8, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Wouldn't a Raid 1 array with an SSD and HDD run at the speed of the HDD, thus negative the speed advantage of the SSD? I would stick with the SSD as the single primary drive and just save regularly scheduled image backups of it to the HDD.

NavyLCDR, Jul 8, 2017
  13. Tpayne22 Win User

Yes, it would create a bottleneck effect in the system. However, my data would be safe. This is only a temp solution until I can afford 2 2TB SATA III SSD's.
    Amazon.com: Crucial MX300 2TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT2050MX300SSD1: Computers Accessories
    I am going to wait until after Black Friday to make the purchase.

Tpayne22, Jul 8, 2017
  14. Tpayne22 Win User
    Somehow the solution has presented itself. I plopped the SSD into the secondary bay and it boots now. Not sure how it happened. Could be one of two or a combo of what I did to it last night. 1. I checked the drive for errors on my desktop. 2. I left it plugged in overnight in the USB port. Who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Going to make a copy with EZ GIG on the HDD and take NavyLCDR's advice and update the backup on the HDD periodically. I don't want to trust this SSD. Getting 2 new SSD's as soon as Black Friday rolls around.

Thanks to all who commented on this post. I valued your input. Unbootable 1TB SSD. Need Help :)

-Tara Nicole Payne

Tpayne22, Jul 8, 2017
  15. spunk Win User
    As stated, you don't want to run the SSD in a RAID unless you are using 2 or more SSD's not mixing it with a HDD which will slow it down.
    Did you change the Boot option back to UEFI Bios from Legacy? Do that, and if that doesn't boot the SSD, then Reinstall Windows from USB or DVD using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
    Since this computer has UEFI Bios, the Windows Product key is stored there so you don't have to retype it in to reinstall.
    When Booting to Windows installer, Be sure to Delete all of the previous partitions on the SSD and let Windows create new partitions and format them during the install

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unbootable 1TB SSD. Need Help - Similar Threads - Unbootable 1TB SSD

2. Recovery data from a unbootable SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery data from a unbootable SSD drive: My laptop randomly stopped booting up. It say no bootable device found. It is Windows 11 with TPM2.0 enabled. I am trying to recover the data off of the drive I have made a bootable USB drive and scanned the non-bootable SSD drive but no files are showing. Is there a way to...
  3. Recovery data from a unbootable SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery data from a unbootable SSD drive: My laptop randomly stopped booting up. It say no bootable device found. It is Windows 11 with TPM2.0 enabled. I am trying to recover the data off of the drive I have made a bootable USB drive and scanned the non-bootable SSD drive but no files are showing. Is there a way to...
  4. 1tb ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1tb ssd: I have bought A 1TB SSD recently for my custom pc and I put it in and i see it only says 478gb and drive C i have been trying to find the other drives and find out where my other half went did anyone have this? and if you had fixed it can you tell me how?...
  5. Need help with SSD and TRIM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need help with SSD and TRIM: I've read this tutorial here: Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10 | Tutorials. After checking my SSD according to the tutorial, I had this: [img] Yesterday I installed O&O Defrag Professional Edition 23, which I got from a giveaway...
  6. 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD

500GB SSD to 1TB SSD: I have a 500GB SSD working in my laptop. I have a 1TB SSD in an external case. I have used EaseUS to clone them However, now my 1TB is 500GB. How do I reclaim the other 500GB? 161362
  7. 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    500GB SSD to 1TB SSD: I have a 500GB SSD working in my laptop. I have a 1TB SSD in an external case. I have used EaseUS to clone them However, now my 1TB is 500GB. How do I reclaim the other 500GB? 161362
  8. Upgraded from 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded from 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD: Just finished swapping out my Samsung EVO 860 500GB SSD for a new Samsung QVO 860 1TB SSD on my Lenovo Ideacenter K450. Took about 1.5 hours start to finish. 1. Macrium incremental backup of existing 500GB SSD. 2. Swapped drives. 3. Clean install to 1TB SSD (to get new...
  9. questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD

questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD: I have a fairly new Dell 8900 and want to swap its 1TB HDD with a new Crucial 1TB SSD I plan to clone the existing HDD using Macrium7 to the new SSD, then remove the HDD and install the new SSD in its place. Would this work? Would the currently existing SATA cable work with...
  10. new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed: Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following. Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ? Next I need help on...