Windows 10: Unbootable Rescue media -- a VM to the rescue

Discus and support Unbootable Rescue media -- a VM to the rescue in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks I needed to restore a "broken" Windows SSD - normally I use Macrium bootable rescue media - but I'd lost my set of 3 USB drives I had the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 28, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Unbootable Rescue media -- a VM to the rescue

Hi folks

I needed to restore a "broken" Windows SSD - normally I use Macrium bootable rescue media - but I'd lost my set of 3 USB drives I had the rescue media on. !!!!!

However I had a Windows Virtual machine on a Linux system from an external SSD.

So attaching the "Broken system SSD" as an external RAW physical drive (you must add the whole drive as one unit - not as a partition) and the backup image (on another external USB - just attached normally to the VM) I could run the restore from within the VM to the "Broken Disk". Linux systems boot easily from external devices so I could run the Windows VM too.

After restore - system booted from the internal Windows SSD with no problems at all --I couldn't create the bootable rescue media from within the VM as I'd lost 3 USB sticks !! so didn't have anything to store it on.

So even if all seems lost don't give up --there's always plenty of ways of recovering a system.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

I needed to restore a "broken" Windows SSD on a laptop - normally I use Macrium bootable rescue media - but I'd lost my set of 3 USB sticks I had the rescue media on. !!!!! (Or I'd left them at home).

However I had a Windows Virtual machine on a Linux system from an external SSD.

So attaching the "Broken system SSD" as an internal RAW physical drive (you must add the whole drive as one unit - not as a partition) and the backup image (on another external USB - just attached normally to the VM) I could run the restore from within the VM to the "Broken Disk". Linux systems boot easily from external devices so I could run the Windows VM too.

After restore - system booted from the internal Windows SSD with no problems at all --I couldn't create the bootable rescue media from within the VM as I'd lost / left at home my 3 USB sticks !! so didn't have anything to store it on.

So even if all seems lost don't give up --there's always plenty of ways of recovering a system.

Note --you need to attach the internal HDD/SSD to the VM as a RAW physical device -- otherwise the system will use the "default Virtual disk format" for the Virtual machine software you are using -- and the result is that the device after restoring won't be bootable. Using a RAW device means the file system of the OS --in this case Windows -- will be used so the boot rec and windows partition(s) are restored successfully from the image.

For EXTERNAL devices attached via a USB device the VM will use the HOST USB driver which detects the relevant file system.

Maybe people don't (or hopefully will not) need this method -- but was it the Boy Scouts motto "Be Prepared" -- used to love the Boy Scouts when I was young -- I suppose too many people these days are on Social media to even be aware of what the Scouts were !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
  3. LesG_571 Win User
    My Rescue Media

Can I use my Win 10 Rescue media (flash drive) to locate my admin password
    that I must have created when I set up Windows 10 the last time? I have lost that password and I'm told that Microsoft cannot help with my Win 10 Admin password.

I tried to do a "Restore" but it keeps failing and I keep getting an error message. Then somewhere on line I learned that I should boot up in the "Safe Mode" to try the "Restore Function" but as I am going through the process of of opening in the Safe Mode,
    I am asked for my Admin Password. I lost every record of that in a mishap. Today, I ran across a thumb-drive with my WIN 10 Rescue Info on it. If I reboot with the Rescue media, will I be able to locate my password or find the reason for my problem of not
    being able to Restore to another earlier date.

LesG_571, May 28, 2020
  4. Cliff S Win User

Macrium Reflect /rescue media

Creating rescue media - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Cliff S, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Unbootable Rescue media -- a VM to the rescue - Similar Threads - Unbootable Rescue media

2. Lost rescue media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost rescue media: I lost the USB dongle I used for Repairing Windows 10. What should I do to create a new one? 179204
  3. Macrium rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium rescue media: Hows everybody? I solved this in the past and cant recall exactly how I did it. The macrium rescue media tool cant detect the correct drivers for a usb 3.0 device. And this is win 7 era hardware. It says that winRE has built in support. Not. I had to install the drivers for...
  4. Rescue Media Error

Rescue Media Error: While creating Rescue Disc for Macrium Reflect with a DVD containing the previous version rescue data always produces an error message on this Laptop, as opposed to my Desktop running the same version of MR containing the previous version's rescue data and Win10 x64 Pro....
  5. Booting from Rescue media

Booting from Rescue media: Hello All, -I use HP Compaq 8300 SFF as a second machine W 10 x64 Version10.0.19041 Build 19041 running in Legacy BIOS mode, the EUFI is missing. Checking the MR Rescue DVD was possible, booting F9 selecting SATA2 (HP forum advice). -This method however assumes a functioning...
  6. Unable to create Rescue Media

Unable to create Rescue Media: I'm trying to migrate my OS to an SSD as a boot drive using Macrium Reflect. Before I touch anything I decided to create a rescue media on a formatted 8GB USB drive and a disk image on an external HDD I have in case things go wrong. Of course, on the very first and...
  7. All rescue media not recognized

All rescue media not recognized: Created a CD as well as a thumbdrive in Macrium Reflect free ver 7. Each time it says successfully created rescue media but I cannot get my system to recognize either. Have to use F12 to tell it where to boot to MR but all the screen ever tells me is 'No OS found' or similar....
  8. macrium rescue media

macrium rescue media: hi, I have installed a new external HDD for my backup image. Do I have to create a new rescue media? 113539
  9. Macrium Reflect /rescue media

Macrium Reflect /rescue media: Hi, Do I have to create a new rescue media (USB) for every Windows 10 machines I have, or is the first I created valid for all the others? 112784
  10. Macrium: Rescue Media

Macrium: Rescue Media: Having turned to Macrium for daily backups, I have created a Rescue Media DVD. When testing to see if it would boot (as Macrium advise). I was unable to choose which of the options offered was correct. Attached is a clip of my boot menu with the DVD in its tray. Oddly, the...