Windows 10: Uncommanded Powershell prompt appears - is this an MS "legit" annoyance? Or an infection?

Discus and support Uncommanded Powershell prompt appears - is this an MS "legit" annoyance? Or an infection? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I suddenly had the following Powershell screen appear - it was uncommanded at least I didn't invoke it. Has anybody else experienced this intrusive... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by S400365, Feb 8, 2021.

1. S400365 Win User

Uncommanded Powershell prompt appears - is this an MS "legit" annoyance? Or an infection?

I suddenly had the following Powershell screen appear - it was uncommanded at least I didn't invoke it.

Has anybody else experienced this intrusive advert? Is it from MS ? Or something else?

I have redacted the user id in the path

Uncommanded Powershell prompt appears - is this an MS "legit" annoyance? Or an infection? [​IMG]

:)

S400365, Feb 8, 2021
  2. Kursah Win User

PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

Interestingly enough my personal laptop just got the update...and still has Command Prompt listed, not PowerShell...

Edit: Not that it matters...I use both regularly. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Feb 8, 2021
  3. bruinator Win User
    steps taken for infected Pc's.

I was hoping someone could give me a list of step by step instructions you use as a guide to clean virus, malware...etc. so I can keep my PC clean if it gets infected.

thx

bruinator, Feb 8, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Uncommanded Powershell prompt appears - is this an MS "legit" annoyance? Or an infection?

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Feb 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Uncommanded Powershell prompt appears - is this an MS "legit" annoyance? Or an infection? - Similar Threads - Uncommanded Powershell prompt

2. Infected ms office

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Infected ms office: Hi allI need help with my laptop. I got a virus on my machine that corrupted the entire office application such that it office was never installed. I tried to reinstall it but it does not even run to show that it’s installing. Please help...
  3. Infected ms office

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Infected ms office: Hi allI need help with my laptop. I got a virus on my machine that corrupted the entire office application such that it office was never installed. I tried to reinstall it but it does not even run to show that it’s installing. Please help...
  4. Infected ms office

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Sign in prompt is annoying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in prompt is annoying: So this sign in required prompt keeps popping up ever since my college classes ended. When I go click on sign in it will only let me sign in with my expired college email that doesn't work and when I do with my personal windows account it says it doesn't accept it. I tried...
  6. Sign in prompt is annoying

Sign in prompt is annoying: So this sign in required prompt keeps popping up ever since my college classes ended. When I go click on sign in it will only let me sign in with my expired college email that doesn't work and when I do with my personal windows account it says it doesn't accept it. I tried...
  7. Powershell or Command prompt !

Powershell or Command prompt !: Good morning, I use SCANNOW occassionally going into Command prompt etc. I have just been reading that using it with Powershell is better because it is a more powerful tool would you agree ? Is there anything else you would suggest using with Powershell to keep my laptop...
  8. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Customization
    Powershell or Command prompt !: Good morning, I use SCANNOW occassionally going into Command prompt etc. I have just been reading that using it with Powershell is better because it is a more powerful tool would you agree ? Is there anything else you would suggest using with Powershell to keep my laptop...
  9. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Annoying error in PowerShell

in Windows 10 Support
    Annoying error in PowerShell: I have a directory E:\Documents\Steve's\New Documents\Tax If I navigate to this directory in explorer, and then use the File->Open Windows Powershell mechanism, then Windows PowerShell opens with the error: The string is missing the terminator: '. + CategoryInfo :...