Windows 10: Undeletable File named Con, Aux, etc? Here's some help.

Discus and support Undeletable File named Con, Aux, etc? Here's some help. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Do you have an undeletable file named con, aux, etc.? I have a good piece of advice. I believe this is the whole list of unusable Windows filenames:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WaitingGraph481, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Undeletable File named Con, Aux, etc? Here's some help.

Do you have an undeletable file named con, aux, etc.? I [COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]have[/COLOR] a good piece of advice.

I believe this is the whole list of unusable Windows filenames:

[COLOR=rgba77, 81, 86, 1][COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]CON. PRN. AUX. NUL. COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, COM0. LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, LPT9, LPT0.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Windows reserves these filenames to preserve old DOS hardware mostly printers, I believe, that would use these filenames as directories to send that specific directory or file to the printer. Allowing a user to use these filenames in Windows would be problematic, so they are restricted. Somehow, you have a file named with one of these. Perhaps a Unix user was working on the file and sent it to you. Trying to delete the file with one of these names will cause Windows to not handle it correctly, resulting in an error.

[COLOR=rgba77, 81, 86, 1][COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]The best method I have found is to access your hard drive using Ubuntu without installing, then delete the file from there. This is an easy method that does not require you to mess around with Command Prompt commands. My computer particularly doesn't like handling these files in any way, even in Safe Mode. I know, wacky, right?[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba77, 81, 86, 1][COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Requirements:[/COLOR][/COLOR]Your computer that can't delete a file

[COLOR=rgba77, 81, 86, 1][COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]A USB over 4 GB in size[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba77, 81, 86, 1][COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Good button-mashing ability[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba77, 81, 86, 1][COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Here are the steps:[/COLOR][/COLOR]1. Download Ubuntu from here. An older/weaker computer may not support 20.10, but yours probably will.

2. Download Rufus from here.

3. Plug in your USB.

4. Using Rufus, create the Live USB by adding the Ubuntu ISO to the 'Boot Selection'. I recommend using the MBR partition scheme and targeting the system as 'BIOS or UEFI' [COLOR=rgba215, 57, 0, 1]All data on the USB will be lost.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]5. Once Rufus is done, restart your computer with the USB still inside.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]6. Mash your boot key to enter the one-time boot menu. This could be F1-F12, Del, or ESC. It is different for each computer.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]7. Select your USB disc.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]8. Once booted into Ubuntu, select 'Try Ubuntu' [/COLOR][COLOR=rgba215, 57, 0, 1]Do not install Ubuntu, unless you have plans for dual-booting.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]9. Access your C:\ Local Disc drive, find your file, and delete it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]10. Restart your computer, and you should boot straight into Windows with no problems.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]11. Keep this USB around in case you need to do it again.That should do it. [/COLOR]

:)

WaitingGraph481, Apr 7, 2021
  2. White Win User

List file names than a folder.

Is there a bat file to generate the list of file names that I have inside a folder?
    If possible you can help me to do it or give me suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Please.

White, Apr 7, 2021
  3. List file names than a folder.

Hello @White,

I have just put this together for YOU => List_Folder_Files.bat.

You need to put it in whatever directory you want to produce the list of files.

I hope this helps!

Paul Black, Apr 7, 2021
  4. Undeletable File named Con, Aux, etc? Here's some help.

undeleting files

How do I undelete a file I just deleted?

DaveMeglio, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

Undeletable File named Con, Aux, etc? Here's some help.

1. Undeletable File named Con, Aux, etc? Here's some help. - Similar Threads - Undeletable File named

2. File undeletable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File undeletable: The file I want to delete is undeletable and I don't have any program that uses that folder. I tried to use CMD but doesn't workPlz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-undeletable/e6631877-5062-4719-8689-96a749a001e8
  3. File undeletable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File undeletable: The file I want to delete is undeletable and I don't have any program that uses that folder. I tried to use CMD but doesn't workPlz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-undeletable/e6631877-5062-4719-8689-96a749a001e8
  4. File undeletable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how to delete aux and con folder ?

how to delete aux and con folder ?: with the help of prompt command i made con and aux folder but now i am unable to delete it so kindly give me any suggestion to delete those folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-and-con-folder/bb615470-669b-437b-a678-1c94ea17b391
  6. Deleting Undeletable Files

Deleting Undeletable Files: Let's say you have deleted a file that was present in different locations on your computer and also shows up on your desktop. But for whatever reason, the file won't go away. When you try to delete or send this file to the recycling bin, a message pops up, saying: "This is...
  7. Need some help here

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some help here: So im noticing some issues with performance in games and im really wondering if any of you can help me. So recently I updated windows 10 to whatever build its at now (I dont know what version but it was a recent uodate) and ever since then I've been having these weird issues...
  8. Undeletable Empty File - Help!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Undeletable Empty File - Help!: [ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH] translating: Windows couldnt find the file The item is no longer located at location. Localize the item and try again. type : file Try again Cancel...
  9. I have some annoying undeletable files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have some annoying undeletable files: I found this file How to delete it? BethesdaSoftworks.LiluDallas-Multipass_1.11.7.0_x64__3275kfvn8vcwc https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/BPE7tsTnP8RrTnuVjZHv8_rYda1cHLuLZK0RJtHOApODYFty50pU_McUVDbUzKeitkxvn9hndI0rJRngX19RQpR4J2QWgwWFqDQKRcc5=s815 submitted by /u/hassan71_0...
  10. undelete a file

undelete a file: I deleted a file while I was trying to move it to a different folder. Is it possible to recover it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/undelete-a-file/26990f6f-3499-41b8-9ef3-5d57cab56ff9"