Windows 10: Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

Discus and support Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I’m using Windows 10 Home V.1607 OS Build 14393.1593. I recently installed Boxcryptor but later decided against it and uninstalled it, but I notice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AussieMike, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

I’m using Windows 10 Home V.1607 OS Build 14393.1593. I recently installed Boxcryptor but later decided against it and uninstalled it, but I notice that a Boxcryptor icon is still shown in File Explorer (the 1st item after Desktop) in the Navigation Pane. It also appears in the file details pane. It doesn’t show on the computer desktop. While it’s not causing any problems I’m aware of it it’s irritating to continually see it there when I know I’ve uninstalled the program.

When I right-click the icon there’s no option to delete it. Left-clicking tells me “X: is unavailable. Etc etc. If the location still can’t be found, it might have been moved or deleted.” The Properties box gives the location as X. It shows 0 bytes. What makes it a bit annoying is that I have a USB thumb drive which is designated “X” so when that’s plugged in the files on it also appear in the Boxcryptor entry.

I’ve run CClean and Glary Utilities Registry Repair without success. The program doesn’t appear in Windows Control Panel’s Programs & Features, or when I run Revo Uninstaller.

A search of the Registry reveals only one entry at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\AppModel\Package Repository\Packages\SecombaGmbH.Boxcryptor_1.2.0.16_neutral_e2fa1ta5wba3m
    In the right hand pane it shows:
    Name Type Data
    (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    Path REG_SZ C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\SecombaGmbH.BoxCryptor_1.2.0.16_neutral_e3fa1ta5wba3m

My question is; how do I get rid of the item in File Explorer? An internet search doesn’t address this as far as I can see. In the Registry I don’t want to just delete the items in the right hand pane in case I wreck my registry.

Any help you can give me in dealing with this would be much appreciated. I’m a bit wary of touching the Registry so detailed instructions would be great. Thanks in advance.

:)

AussieMike, Sep 17, 2017

2. Recovering deleted folders containing important emails in Windows Live Mail (Windows 10 64 Bit)

Hi,

I looked at this but it only seems to undelete files if the folder is still in place. If I'm wrong and it can undelete complete folders and their contents please let me know and I'd willingly give it a whirl!

Cheers,

Ian

IanMaynard, Sep 17, 2017
  3. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Sep 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

Hi, suggest you try this - in this order. Running Revo after uninstalling a program is only useful if its Forced Uninstall option can browse to a remaining exe file belonging to that program.
    a. Reinstall the program (yes, seems counter-intuitive)
    b. Run Revo uninstaller - I guess that's what you have.
    (As the free version does not monitor program installation that option isn't available to you)
    c. Select your program in Revo
    d. Click the Uninstall button in Revo

Follow and accept all prompts.
    The normal uninstaller will run, then scans for leftovers.

Report the result. Good luck.

dalchina, Sep 17, 2017
  5. Many thanks. Reinstalling certainly makes sense. I tried, as you suggested, and then uninstalled Boxcryptor again, but unfortunately without success as the icon is still there. I checked with Revo to make sure that it had uninstalled it, and it's not listed. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

AussieMike, Sep 17, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    Often these issues need you to be sat in front of the PC to try stuff......

This might sound totally nutz but if you can see the problem item in file explorer then see if you can still see the problem item via this forums attach images button which will open file explorer.

If so, will it delete from there.

Totally totally nutz I know but I once had a folder that sort of fits your description of no delete option and by chance I found this worked and the option appeared by doing this.

For ten seconds work its worth a look.

Mooly, Sep 17, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    You could try the fully functional Revo Pro trial uninstaller, monitor the installation of Boxcrypt, then uninstall it using the monitored data. That should be more complete.

Otherwise as you suggested (but back up the registry first) search and delete any occurrence of Boxcrypt remaining.

Searching the registry is most conveniently done with a 3rd party tool that searches the whole registry and lists finds, unlike regedit which stops after each find.
    E.g. OO regedit (free) - which includes an address bar (path)

Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer [​IMG]

You can also use a freeware program such as
    Locate32
    Everything (void tools)
    Ultrasearch

- these quickly index every file and folder so you can do an instant search of your file system for Boxcrypt.
    I'd not know how to cope without these. (I prefer Locate32). Note- they don't index content.

dalchina, Sep 17, 2017
  8. Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

Thanks for your suggestion Mooly, but I don't understand what I need to do. I've had a good look at the various options on the forum but can't find anything matching your suggestion. Will you give me a bit more info? Thanks.

AussieMike, Sep 17, 2017
  9. Thanks Dalchina. I'll have a look at the Registry editor O&O RegEditor tomorrow (it's getting late downunder). I'll certainly backup the Registry before I start, in fact I think I'll do a full backup image as well (belt and braces!)

AussieMike, Sep 17, 2017
  10. Mooly Win User
    If you click this (attach images) then you can browse your PC and locate stuff. You should have all the normal options to delete and work with files and folders, just as if you were using explorer. I know it sounds crazy but it really did work for me some years ago when I had a folder that wouldn't delete.

Mooly, Sep 17, 2017
  11. I tried Mooly's suggestion without success. I still get the same error message.

I then downloaded the O&O RegEditor suggested by Dalchina. After a full image backup with Macrium and a Registry backup I ran O&O RegEditor. A search for Boxcryptor produced 128 entries! (I've used Boxcryptor in the past so perhaps some of these entries may be left over from then, although I use CClean regularly to clean out the Registry).

On O&O RegEditor both of the 'Edit Value' and 'Delete' buttons were greyed out, no matter if any, or all, of the 'Search results' entries are selected or not, so I'm wondering what my next step should be. I'm in your hands Dalchina. Thanks

AussieMike, Sep 18, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Are you running as a standard or admin user?
    I run as admin (tho' that's not recommended for security reasons but many do of course).
    If as standard, try running as admin.

Or you might try running O&O regedit as admin.

Otherwise, suggests a permissions problem.

To have that many registry entries left after running Revo begins to suggest maybe Revo hasn't got permission access to delete them.

Also try my suggestion with Revo Pro (trial).

Having made backups, you could try Tweaking.com's repair tool, observing its cautious steps and selecting ONLY the appropriate permissions repair.

I would suggest you first make a screenshot of a registry key you can't modify/edit/delete, then run the tool, then try the same operation and see if there's any change.

dalchina, Sep 18, 2017
  13. Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

I always run from a Standard A/C and as Admin as necessary. I ran OORegEdit as Admin, and then logged on as Admin, but both times without success.

I've spent a fair bit of time on this problem in my attempt to make a small change which won't make my PC run any better if I succeed. My PC seems pretty determined to keep this ghost entry, so I think perhaps I'll let this go for now.

I'd just like to thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I've really appreciated your kind help.

AussieMike, Sep 18, 2017
  14. Mooly Win User
    It was worth a try *Sad

Dalchina suggested reinstalling etc. I wonder if there was any delete option available then or whether you could drill into the properties of this item and find its location and so on.

Problems like this are where disk imaging comes into its own as you can try all kinds of stuff without worry.

Mooly, Sep 18, 2017
  15. Thanks for your input. Yes, I’ve already looked at the Properties but it doesn’t help. All it shows is 0 bytes with the Location as X. Apart from a Customize tab, which gives no help, that’s all there is.
    I think the effort needed to get rid of the offending icon by reinstalling is more than it’s worth, especially as the PC is working well, so I’ll leave it for now. Anyway, many thanks for your suggestions.

AussieMike, Sep 19, 2017
Thema:

Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

1. Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Undeletable Folder Icon

2. Undeletable folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Undeletable folders: Hi guys,I have installed Windows 11 and right after that, I set everything to go on another partition so my C: Disk be only for Windows and future updates, nothing else. On my other partition, these 3 folders appeared from nowhere from my new settings in...
  3. Undeletable folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Undeletable folders: Hi guys,I have installed Windows 11 and right after that, I set everything to go on another partition so my C: Disk be only for Windows and future updates, nothing else. On my other partition, these 3 folders appeared from nowhere from my new settings in...
  4. File undeletable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File undeletable: The file I want to delete is undeletable and I don't have any program that uses that folder. I tried to use CMD but doesn't workPlz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-undeletable/e6631877-5062-4719-8689-96a749a001e8
  5. File undeletable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File undeletable: The file I want to delete is undeletable and I don't have any program that uses that folder. I tried to use CMD but doesn't workPlz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-undeletable/e6631877-5062-4719-8689-96a749a001e8
  6. Undeletable Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Undeletable Folder: There are a bunch of folders that have randomly appeared in my file explorer with no name or properties whatsoever. Nothing. Can't delete or rename them and the only options I have are to mark the folders as Read-only, Hidden, or Archive, but even then it just says the path...
  7. Undeletable folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Undeletable folder: Hello. I have been trying to delete a folder that is specifically filled with the file called image share. But no matter what I tried it won't delete and my computer would end up freezing.When I try to delete it, it would simply display...
  8. Undeleted folder!

in Windows 10 Support
    Undeleted folder!: Probably after a chkdsk, a folder has been created in C. It has subfolders (50) and files (85). It's not matter of size, it's only 620KB. I just don't want it to exist! It can be renamed (- resist to delete -), cut, moved (not to a USB) but it can't be deleted. I can't...
  9. Undeleteable folder and files on my external

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Undeleteable folder and files on my external: I store all my files that I work on onto a external drive recently I attempted to open some visual studios solution files but they wouldn't open correctly. I decided to just delete the file, but when I try nothing happens. So far I have tried dragging to the recycle bin,...
  10. The Undeletable Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    The Undeletable Folder: Hi there. Yesterday there popped up a folder on my C: drive that is being absolutely stubborn and I can't get it deleted. Things I've tried so far: Select folder, press delete key Right click folder, select delete option Rebooted into safe mode to try and delete it...