Windows 10: Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

Discus and support Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; You could try a live version of Linux. It's an operation system that runs off of a flash drive or DVD. No files are written to your hard drive. Boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AussieMike, Sep 17, 2017.

1. TrustMe Win User

Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

You could try a live version of Linux. It's an operation system that runs off of a flash drive or DVD. No files are written to your hard drive. Boot from the flash drive or DVD and delete any file you want. If you decide to try it, right click the file and choose
    "Permanently Delete". Otherwise empty the Trash (Recycle Bin) before you shutdown.

I like Linux Mint because it's very similar to Windows 7. You will find it easy to use. I made one a few years ago and used it many times. It's also great if you have a system will not boot. You can use it to copy all your personal files to a flash drive or portable hard drive.

This is the guide I used to make mine.

How To Create A UEFI Bootable Linux Mint USB Drive

TrustMe, Sep 19, 2017

2. Thanks TrustMe. I've run out of available time to follow this up just now, but I'll keep your suggestion for a bit when time is a bit more free. Thanks.

AussieMike, Sep 19, 2017
  3. dalchina New Member
    Reinstalling -the program, not the OS, using Revo Pro to monitor. Then use Revo Pro to uninstall. That's what the reference was to in my post.

Or try deleting from outside Windows (use a boot disk - Kyhi's from the top of the Software and Apps section here.

But your posts as I said have suggested you might have a permissions problem and things are not being removed as they should.

dalchina, Sep 19, 2017
  4. Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

I'll have a go with Revo Pro and/or my boot disk and will get back to you. Thanks

AussieMike, Sep 19, 2017
  5. I tried installing and uninstalling Boxcryptor with Revo Pro, but unsuccessfully as the folder icon was still there. I ran OORegEdit and still found 116, down from the previous 128, Boxcryptor entries. The Delete button is still grayed out.

I then used my boot disk to start the PC. I found what I think was the Boxcryptor folder icon X and deleted it. On restarting the PC it then began to do a repair job before eventually starting Windows. And guess what?......... Yes……... The Boxcryptor folder icon was still there! (You have to give it 10 out of 10 for persistence!)

As I mentioned earlier I think it’s time for me to stop my efforts to get rid of this minor nuisance. I’m really out of time to get rid of something that I won’t lose sleep over. Thanks for your determined efforts on my behalf to solve it. I really do appreciate it.

AussieMike, Sep 19, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I suggested you try repairing permissions. There seems to be some other underlying problem where you aren't able to modify registry entries. Anyway, good luck with it.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

1. Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Undeletable Folder Icon

2. Undeletable folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Undeletable folders: Hi guys,I have installed Windows 11 and right after that, I set everything to go on another partition so my C: Disk be only for Windows and future updates, nothing else. On my other partition, these 3 folders appeared from nowhere from my new settings in...
  3. Undeletable folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Undeletable folders: Hi guys,I have installed Windows 11 and right after that, I set everything to go on another partition so my C: Disk be only for Windows and future updates, nothing else. On my other partition, these 3 folders appeared from nowhere from my new settings in...
  4. File undeletable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File undeletable: The file I want to delete is undeletable and I don't have any program that uses that folder. I tried to use CMD but doesn't workPlz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-undeletable/e6631877-5062-4719-8689-96a749a001e8
  5. File undeletable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File undeletable: The file I want to delete is undeletable and I don't have any program that uses that folder. I tried to use CMD but doesn't workPlz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-undeletable/e6631877-5062-4719-8689-96a749a001e8
  6. Undeletable Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Undeletable Folder: There are a bunch of folders that have randomly appeared in my file explorer with no name or properties whatsoever. Nothing. Can't delete or rename them and the only options I have are to mark the folders as Read-only, Hidden, or Archive, but even then it just says the path...
  7. Undeletable folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Undeletable folder: Hello. I have been trying to delete a folder that is specifically filled with the file called image share. But no matter what I tried it won't delete and my computer would end up freezing.When I try to delete it, it would simply display...
  8. Undeleted folder!

in Windows 10 Support
    Undeleted folder!: Probably after a chkdsk, a folder has been created in C. It has subfolders (50) and files (85). It's not matter of size, it's only 620KB. I just don't want it to exist! It can be renamed (- resist to delete -), cut, moved (not to a USB) but it can't be deleted. I can't...
  9. Undeleteable folder and files on my external

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Undeleteable folder and files on my external: I store all my files that I work on onto a external drive recently I attempted to open some visual studios solution files but they wouldn't open correctly. I decided to just delete the file, but when I try nothing happens. So far I have tried dragging to the recycle bin,...
  10. The Undeletable Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    The Undeletable Folder: Hi there. Yesterday there popped up a folder on my C: drive that is being absolutely stubborn and I can't get it deleted. Things I've tried so far: Select folder, press delete key Right click folder, select delete option Rebooted into safe mode to try and delete it...