Windows 10: Undeletable folders in C:\, please help

Discus and support Undeletable folders in C:\, please help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm facing this problem: I made a clean re-installation of Windows and everything has gone smoothly so far. I even renamed user accounts and also the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fortitude, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Fortitude Win User

Undeletable folders in C:\, please help

I'm facing this problem:

I made a clean re-installation of Windows and everything has gone smoothly so far. I even renamed user accounts and also the user names, as well as the name of the PC that was given by Windows.

I have a directory (with sub-directories) in C:\ which mostly contains LibreOffice documents, a few Excel spreadsheets and PDF files. This directory and a few others have survived the Windows re-installation. The problem is that I cannot delete these directories even though I try to do so as administrator. The Security tab in the sub-directories properties shows for a few of them in the "Group or user names" section numbers that begin with S-1-15-21-1461528909.... (I cannot read the rest of the string). There are about 12 to 13 such entries for the sub-directories affected. Some entries begin with "Account Unknown" and then the string of numbers.

Windows 10 Pro v.2004.

:)

Fortitude, Aug 1, 2020

2. The Undeletable Folder

Hi there.

Yesterday there popped up a folder on my C: drive that is being absolutely stubborn and I can't get it deleted.

Things I've tried so far:

• Select folder, press delete key
    • Right click folder, select delete option
    • Rebooted into safe mode to try and delete it
    • Tried to take ownership manually
    • Tried to take ownership with script

I still can't get this folder deleted and it's kinda driving me nuts. Anytime I've tried to delete it or look at it (outside of safemode) it says I need permission from SYSTEM.

Image of folder is attached to post.

LovingWindows, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Aug 1, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

You could try the fully functional Revo Pro trial uninstaller, monitor the installation of Boxcrypt, then uninstall it using the monitored data. That should be more complete.

Otherwise as you suggested (but back up the registry first) search and delete any occurrence of Boxcrypt remaining.

Searching the registry is most conveniently done with a 3rd party tool that searches the whole registry and lists finds, unlike regedit which stops after each find.
    E.g. OO regedit (free) - which includes an address bar (path)

Undeletable folders in C:\, please help [​IMG]

You can also use a freeware program such as
    Locate32
    Everything (void tools)
    Ultrasearch

- these quickly index every file and folder so you can do an instant search of your file system for Boxcrypt.
    I'd not know how to cope without these. (I prefer Locate32). Note- they don't index content.

dalchina, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Undeletable folders in C:\, please help - Similar Threads - Undeletable folders please

2. Undeletable folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Undeletable folders: Hi guys,I have installed Windows 11 and right after that, I set everything to go on another partition so my C: Disk be only for Windows and future updates, nothing else. On my other partition, these 3 folders appeared from nowhere from my new settings in...
  3. Undeletable folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Undeletable folders: Hi guys,I have installed Windows 11 and right after that, I set everything to go on another partition so my C: Disk be only for Windows and future updates, nothing else. On my other partition, these 3 folders appeared from nowhere from my new settings in...
  4. Undeletable Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Undeletable Folder: There are a bunch of folders that have randomly appeared in my file explorer with no name or properties whatsoever. Nothing. Can't delete or rename them and the only options I have are to mark the folders as Read-only, Hidden, or Archive, but even then it just says the path...
  5. Undeletable folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Undeletable folder: Hello. I have been trying to delete a folder that is specifically filled with the file called image share. But no matter what I tried it won't delete and my computer would end up freezing.When I try to delete it, it would simply display...
  6. Undeletable Empty File - Help!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Undeletable Empty File - Help!: [ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH] translating: Windows couldnt find the file The item is no longer located at location. Localize the item and try again. type : file Try again Cancel...
  7. Undeleted folder!

in Windows 10 Support
    Undeleted folder!: Probably after a chkdsk, a folder has been created in C. It has subfolders (50) and files (85). It's not matter of size, it's only 620KB. I just don't want it to exist! It can be renamed (- resist to delete -), cut, moved (not to a USB) but it can't be deleted. I can't...
  8. problem with User Folder ins C: please please help

problem with User Folder ins C: please please help: so i want to get into to see and edit stuff in my Games and Documents folders, i open it up C: to behold it isnt there. only things are Perf Logs, Program Files, Program Files x86, Windows, and Windows.old. now....this is not what i am used to in a computer only Saved Games...
  9. problem with User Folder is C: please please help

problem with User Folder is C: please please help: so i want to get into to see and edit stuff in my Games and Documents folders, i open it up C: to behold it isnt there. only things are Perf Logs, Program Files, Program Files x86, Windows, and Windows.old. now....this is not what i am used to in a computer only Saved Games...
  10. The Undeletable Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    The Undeletable Folder: Hi there. Yesterday there popped up a folder on my C: drive that is being absolutely stubborn and I can't get it deleted. Things I've tried so far: Select folder, press delete key Right click folder, select delete option Rebooted into safe mode to try and delete it...