Windows 10: undeleteable file on memory stick; chkdsk says drive is good

Discus and support undeleteable file on memory stick; chkdsk says drive is good in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a USB memory stick full of music.I discovered a problem when i tried to copy it copy & paste failedIt seems the problem is a fault with the data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by john-errington, Sep 7, 2023.

1. undeleteable file on memory stick; chkdsk says drive is good

I have a USB memory stick full of music.I discovered a problem when i tried to copy it copy & paste failedIt seems the problem is a fault with the data storage on that drive; file explorer shows this: but when I try to delete the file I get "this is no longer located..."chkdsk h: /f /r reports no errors on the drive.OK I could format the drive, or run one of the "diagnostic tools" that would overwrite my data, but I'd like to understand what is happening first.

:)

john-errington, Sep 7, 2023
  2. Try3 Win User

Need solution for automating transferring of files to flash drives

I am wary of jumping straight in at the deep end so I have a couple of questions.

1 How do you know which files to copy to which memory stick? Can you put a list for each one in a text file?
    2 Are you free to give each memory stick a specific label so that it can be detected in order to trigger the specific list that you have written for that memory stick?

I do have a batch file procedure for identifying the drive letter currently being used for a given external drive label. So perhaps you could trigger a common batch file that
    Step 1 - checks each drive in turn to read its label and then find its current drive letter
    Step 2 - for each detected drive, look up the list given in the batch file to identify which [if any] text file to look in to find the files to copy to that memory stick.
    Step 3 - copies the files listed in the relevant text file

Denis

Try3, Sep 7, 2023
  3. lewy90725 Win User
    Chkdsk shows errors after formatting the usb stick

In order to reproduce the problem, I am doing the following steps:

• I put a text file with a single line of text on the usb file.
    • I plug in a USB stick to a PC and in the explorer window I go to the usb stick drive.
    • I double-click on the text file and open it in notepad.
    • I close the notepad.
    • I the explorer I go to the one level up and I click the right button on the USB drive and choose the properties->format.
    • I formatted the disk with default proposed parameters (FAT32).

The disk is empty after formatting. At the command line prompt window, I type the chkdsk and the letter of the USB drive and I am receiving information that errors have been found (Convert lost chains to files (y/n)?).

I checked it with various usb sticks and different systems (Windows 7, 8, 10) and I got the same results.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

lewy90725, Sep 7, 2023
  4. NickToo Win User

undeleteable file on memory stick; chkdsk says drive is good

cyclic redundancy error but chkdsk says all drives are OK

I get a small list of files not backed up every time I run backup in Windows 10.

The system says it is a cyclic redundancy error problem but I have run Chkdsk and scan on all of the drives, both the ones being backed up and the external hard drive being backed up to. All say no errors found.

I have also run an Avast Premier scan of everything, again with no problems found.

For now, I'm just ignoring as the files not backed up are not important ones for me. I'm also planning to buy a new external hard drive and try making a completely new back up set on it to see if that solves the problem.

Any additional suggestions?

NickToo, Sep 7, 2023
Thema:

undeleteable file on memory stick; chkdsk says drive is good

1. undeleteable file on memory stick; chkdsk says drive is good - Similar Threads - undeleteable file memory

2. undeleteable file on memory stick; chkdsk says drive is good

in Windows 10 Gaming
    undeleteable file on memory stick; chkdsk says drive is good: I have a USB memory stick full of music.I discovered a problem when i tried to copy it copy & paste failedIt seems the problem is a fault with the data storage on that drive; file explorer shows this: but when I try to delete the file I get "this is no longer...
  3. undeleteable file on memory stick; chkdsk says drive is good

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    undeleteable file on memory stick; chkdsk says drive is good: I have a USB memory stick full of music.I discovered a problem when i tried to copy it copy & paste failedIt seems the problem is a fault with the data storage on that drive; file explorer shows this: but when I try to delete the file I get "this is no longer...
  4. File undeletable

File undeletable: The file I want to delete is undeletable and I don't have any program that uses that folder. I tried to use CMD but doesn't workPlz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-undeletable/e6631877-5062-4719-8689-96a749a001e8
  5. File undeletable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File undeletable: The file I want to delete is undeletable and I don't have any program that uses that folder. I tried to use CMD but doesn't workPlz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-undeletable/e6631877-5062-4719-8689-96a749a001e8
  6. File undeletable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. memory stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    memory stick: i have put multiple different memory sticks into my hard drive, and each one says it cannot open i need to download an app.. what app do i download it doesnt tell me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-stick/c41586ed-1f69-42e6-b50c-ad430a8df84b
  8. memory stick

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    memory stick: i have put multiple different memory sticks into my hard drive, and each one says it cannot open i need to download an app.. what app do i download it doesnt tell me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/memory-stick/c41586ed-1f69-42e6-b50c-ad430a8df84b
  9. undelete a file

undelete a file: I deleted a file while I was trying to move it to a different folder. Is it possible to recover it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/undelete-a-file/26990f6f-3499-41b8-9ef3-5d57cab56ff9"
  10. memory stick

in Windows 10 Customization
    memory stick: my memory stick is encrypted on my new computer how do I un encrypted it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-stick/43828c14-f6e4-448f-b6fd-7043aea766fc