Windows 10: Under "Storage" on my laptop the "Other" folder has a lot of space that is unaccounted for,...

Discus and support Under "Storage" on my laptop the "Other" folder has a lot of space that is unaccounted for,... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; What do they mean by "we couldn't characterize?" and where are the other 70+ GB worth of files? Can someone please help me find those files? [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MatthewMatthew6, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Under "Storage" on my laptop the "Other" folder has a lot of space that is unaccounted for,...

What do they mean by "we couldn't characterize?" and where are the other 70+ GB worth of files? Can someone please help me find those files?

Under "Storage" on my laptop the "Other" folder has a lot of space that is unaccounted for,... b9f99cdd-f705-4407-a602-4697bf498a28?upload=true.png

:)

MatthewMatthew6, Oct 26, 2020

2. Unaccounted for Dell Laptop Hard Drive space on C: drive SSD

I have a Dell Inspiron 3793 running Windows 10 Home version 1909. The C drive is a 256GB SSD, and I am noticing a bunch of unaccounted for hard drive space (see pictures below). Drive properties show 163GB used, but when I select all the files they only total to 94GB (69GB unaccounted for). If you look on the WinDirStat listing below, there is a 32GB file labelled "<Unknown>". What is going on? What can I do to free up the space?

Under "Storage" on my laptop the "Other" folder has a lot of space that is unaccounted for,... [​IMG]

Under "Storage" on my laptop the "Other" folder has a lot of space that is unaccounted for,... [​IMG]

amorphous999, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Storage Space Unaccounted For - Nokia Lumia 521

Hi all,

I have a Nokia Lumia 521 and am running desperately low on storage space.

Here are my storage space stats:

apps + games - 0 bytes

music + videos - 0 bytes

pictures - 48.33 MB

documents - 0 bytes

maps - 0 bytes

email + messaging - 0 bytes

system - 1.96 GB

temp. files - 0 bytes

The problem is that my phone says 6.38 GB are used and that I only have 868.78 MB free. Obviously, the numbers don't add up. Where is this unaccounted space and how can I retrieve it?

Also, I don't seem to understand why apps+games; email+messaging both show 0 bytes, when I am clearly using those features of my phone...someone please help!

Thanks!

arielcraze, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Under "Storage" on my laptop the "Other" folder has a lot of space that is unaccounted for,...

I have an HP Stream Laptop and I keep running out of storage space

Hi Jay,

If a category can't show the folders that it contains, there is a possibility that the folders are somehow hidden. To maximize your PC's storage, follow the suggested steps in these links:

If further help is needed, let us know.

Darleen Pen, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

Under "Storage" on my laptop the "Other" folder has a lot of space that is unaccounted for,...

1. Under "Storage" on my laptop the "Other" folder has a lot of space that is unaccounted for,... - Similar Threads - Under Storage laptop

2. "There is not enough space on [folder name]" error - lots of unused space on drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "There is not enough space on [folder name]" error - lots of unused space on drive: Hi, I am getting an error message when trying to copy files to my main storage drive. The error reads "There is not enough space on [folder name]", eg: [ATTACH] When trying to copy to the drive directly, not to a folder within the drive, I get a similar error, which also...
  3. LOTS of Ram usage unaccounted for

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    LOTS of Ram usage unaccounted for: So, I've got 32GB of RAM, and I'm currently, with Chrome(4tabs) and Discord open, no games running, sitting at around 20GB of RAM being used(In Use in task manager). I called bs on that and decided to just start adding the numbers up from what i see in task manager's...
  4. Unaccounted for Dell Laptop Hard Drive space on C: drive SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unaccounted for Dell Laptop Hard Drive space on C: drive SSD: I have a Dell Inspiron 3793 running Windows 10 Home version 1909. The C drive is a 256GB SSD, and I am noticing a bunch of unaccounted for hard drive space (see pictures below). Drive properties show 163GB used, but when I select all the files they only total to 94GB (69GB...
  5. 'Others' folder taking up space

'Others' folder taking up space: My others folder is taking up around 5GB space. I don't know how to free it. Need help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/others-folder-taking-up-space/7a515088-401f-4bf1-b424-a8ce47ac36cb
  6. Other people under storage take up large space

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Other people under storage take up large space: On the 20h1 builds in the fast lane, under settings-system-storage the "Other people" category takes up a large amount of disk space and increasing at a rapid rate. I have only one account (administrator) on this PC. You can turn all sync options off - nothing happens. I...
  7. the 'other' folder in storage

the 'other' folder in storage: I suddenly found that folder "other" full (or nearly full) this impairs the storage of my computer, how do I delete all that volume (402GB in my case) so I regain my computer use...
  8. Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?: It's been probably about a year or more since I've played with Storage Spaces. Back when I was experimenting with it, it was simply horrendous, especially trying to recover from situations where I purposely "failed" a disk. I actually played with it extensively at the time...
  9. Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?

in Windows 10 Support
    Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?: It's been probably about a year or more since I've played with Storage Spaces. Back when I was experimenting with it, it was simply horrendous, especially trying to recover from situations where I purposely "failed" a disk. I actually played with it extensively at the time...
  10. 'Other' files taking up storage space

'Other' files taking up storage space: Alright, so I have a Windows 10 laptop with 29.1 gigabytes on the C drive. Now, sometimes when I go to settings, system, storage, and see how much space's taken up by the system files, sometimes it'll say about 17 GB while other times it'll say 19 GB. Because the system files...