Windows 10: Underscore not showing in file names

Discus and support Underscore not showing in file names in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I use an underscore in a file name (File_Name) it does not show (File Name) unless renaming the file. Current OS is 21H1 version 1165. 183768 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rdwray, Aug 12, 2021.

1. rdwray Win User

Underscore not showing in file names

If I use an underscore in a file name (File_Name) it does not show (File Name) unless renaming the file. Current OS is 21H1 version 1165.

:)

rdwray, Aug 12, 2021
  2. Ringbeep2 Win User

Underscore problems on the E63

Thanks for that suggestion. Yes I have tried that and it

OK. It seems like I need to do a step by step:

Menu > Installations > Messenger > Open Messenger try to type in my domain name which includes an underscore that I am unable to type. I've tried pressing the Ctrl, Chr, button with the grey and white triangle, with the 'K' which has a dash, and by pressing
    them on there own. Nothing.

Ringbeep2, Aug 12, 2021
  3. File name starts with an underscore ("_") cannot be deleted on the desktop.

Hi,

I was saving an pdf article in Chrome via the print function on my account desktop. After reading that i tried to delete it but the delete function gives me no response, which usually there is a prompt box to confirm whether I wish to put to the recycling
    bin.

The file name is _Act Now to Transition to SORA_ - Keynote Speech by Ms Jacqueline Loh, Deputy Managing Director (Markets & Development), Monetary Authority of Singapore, at The Association of Banks in Singapore’s Roundtable Session on SGD Interest Rate
    Landscape Chan.pdf

What I have tried so far:

1. Default Windows file explorer - I tried to rename it to a shorter name using default Windows file explorer but failed
    2. CMD - Name using the full file name, short file name and wildcard. CMD suggested that it cannot find the directory

Underscore not showing in file names eb5836ec-b4eb-4c37-b48d-b186cb5780cb?upload=true.jpg

Underscore not showing in file names cdd1e1e8-8202-4bd7-afcb-7759d37dad87?upload=true.jpg
    3. CMD - Delete using full file name and short file name. CMD suggested that it cannot locate the file using the short file name. Using long file name, CMD suggested that one of the words ('Development') was not an internal pr external comment,
      executable or batch.

Underscore not showing in file names 43b6c680-fbfb-4c8f-a2cd-19ad8591b433?upload=true.jpg
    4. CMD - Delete using any pdf method. CMD suggested that this cannot locate that pdf.

Underscore not showing in file names 0b631cf2-53ed-476c-9084-7fe32a5b18e7?upload=true.jpg

Let me know if any one or Microsoft Windows Technology Help could assist.

Thanks so much!

Regards,

Albert

mshoalbert, Aug 12, 2021
  4. tfwul Win User

Excel - File open - hover over files - file names do not show up

Office 365 / Windows 10 x64

Excel: File > Open shows a list of filenames.
    Due to the limited space, long file names are cut off, regretfully so.
    (There is a lot of unused empty space on the right of the File - Open dialog)

Problem: in case long file names with almost identical names it sometimes is difficult to select the one: the differences between these files are displayed. See attachment. One file is 02-2021 the other 02-2020, or vice versa?

Now, I suppose..., when hovering over the files, a pop-up would show up displaying the full file name(?)
    Repeat: suppose, as with me it never did.

However, if my assumption is correct and indeed a pop-up should show up, then I wonder what could prevent this from happening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    =

Underscore not showing in file names [​IMG]

tfwul, Aug 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Underscore not showing in file names - Similar Threads - Underscore showing file

2. file names do not show in windows11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file names do not show in windows11: I am using Windows11. When I create files eg an Excel sheet, and give it a name, the file does not show in the folder. How can I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-names-do-not-show-in-windows11/6be78dd3-0e1f-4220-814e-6dab082063eb
  3. Keyboard Underscore

Keyboard Underscore: For some reason my keyboard isnt typing an underscore when i click on underscore , instead its typing nkh and combined with shift NKH , i have no clue on why it does this it has been like this for like 2 weeks now and i have now idea how to fix this...
  4. File names showing, but not icons W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File names showing, but not icons W11: I restarted my pc, and then the desktop icons only show file names, not the actual icons. File explorer is like that too, its acting weird and shows all white when I enter the control panel, and also the desktop is not in the desktop, but i need to click it. Installed OS 2...
  5. File names showing, but not icons W11

File names showing, but not icons W11: I restarted my pc, and then the desktop icons only show file names, not the actual icons. File explorer is like that too, its acting weird and shows all white when I enter the control panel, and also the desktop is not in the desktop, but i need to click it. Installed OS 2...
  6. Folders not showing names of any files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders not showing names of any files: When I open a folder it will not show the names of any of the information in them, such as a sub folder, PDF, Excel, pictures etc. there is just all the icons. Not sure what has changed?...
  7. File name starts with an underscore "_" cannot be deleted on the desktop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File name starts with an underscore "_" cannot be deleted on the desktop.: Hi, I was saving an pdf article in Chrome via the print function on my account desktop. After reading that i tried to delete it but the delete function gives me no response, which usually there is a prompt box to confirm whether I wish to put to the recycling bin. The...
  8. The forbidden Underscore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The forbidden Underscore: Hello. Just bought new pc and and after lots of mess with the shop, i now have it. But the operative system suddenly have prohibited the use of underscore _ in folder names, and therefore when i installed my fave game, it came without the folders containing _ . Which also was...
  9. Underscores.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Underscores.: Hi. I'm having a little trouble typing underscores. I'm currently on desktop and do not know why it wont let me type an underscore. I can type everything but an underscore, plus sign, and whatever the symbols are when you press shift represent for these. [] During typing...
  10. Blinking Underscore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blinking Underscore: So yesterday I unplugged everything from my PC externally to give it a clean. I finish up and I plug everything back in. Powering on the system, I see that there is a blinking underscore in the top-left corner of the screen. I’ve had this issue before and had been able to fix...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msdos file beginning underscore unpack