Windows 10: Understanding different memtest86 results with same memory modules

Discus and support Understanding different memtest86 results with same memory modules in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, First of all, I'm sorry in case this is not the right forum. I thought "general" was the best fit because the one with bsods requieres other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RonAshman, Jul 31, 2020.

1. RonAshman Win User

Understanding different memtest86 results with same memory modules

Hi,

First of all, I'm sorry in case this is not the right forum. I thought "general" was the best fit because the one with bsods requieres other information.

I've had this PC since 2012 and never had a problem.
    I had 2 memory sticks same brand same speed (1333), 2gb each.

For reasons, I exchanged one stick for a 4gb stick, different brand same speed.
    For 3 weeks I didn't have a problem, up until a bsod memory management showed up on Windows 10 2004 x64. That's when I decided to run memtest86.

These are my results. I'll call the slots in the mobo "A" and "B". "X" means empty slot.

*try 1-> A: 2 - B: 4 - failed (8,5hrs)

*try 2-> A: X - B: 4 - failed (8hrs)

*try 3-> A: 2 - B: X - pass (4hrs)

*try 4-> A: 4 - B: X - pass (13hrs)

*try 5-> A: X - B: 4 - failed (10hrs, 1st error 5hrs)

*try 6-> A: X - B: 2 - pass (17hrs)

*try 7-> A: 2 - B: X - pass (19hrs)

*try 8-> A: 4 - B: 2 - failed (1hr)

So... I was ready to conclude that the 4gb stick is failing but it was ok for 11 passes (13 hours). But it failed in one slot and not in the other.

Can I conclude both sticks work ok but not together?

At this point I don't know what to do with the little money I have, if the case is that the 4gb stick is ok and I can't use them together.
    Buy another 2gb same brand and speed and go back to square 0.
    Sell my 2gb and buy another 4gb same brand and speed and have 8gb like I'd like.
    Sell both and buy one 8gb stick and be done with it.

Also, is it ok to have different cache speeds shown every time I boot memtest86?

Mobo is Gigabyte h61m-usb3-b3 for reference.

Thanks in advance for any help someone can provide me.
    I attach images with the tests for reference.

Regards!

Tries 1, 2 and 3
    Tries 4, 5 and 6
    Tries 7 and 8

:)

RonAshman, Jul 31, 2020
  2. Kursah Win User

is the memory test in windows the same program as memtest86?

I dunno if it's the same or not, I personally prefer to run good ol' memtest86 in dos none-the-less. I have had memory that errored in memtest86 that didn't in Windows Vista Memory Test. Could've been a fluke though.

Kursah, Jul 31, 2020
  3. is the memory test in windows the same program as memtest86?

i was told that memtest86 is the same program that windows uses to test the memory and the some in linux to. is this true?

skellattarr, Jul 31, 2020
  4. zbook Win User

BSOD, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and ATTEMPTED_EXICUTE_OF_NONEXICUTE_MEM

Please use a camera or smart phone camera to post images of all of the test results into the thread.

Initially you had reported that you were not able to use Memtest86+ version 5.01.
    Troubleshooting steps were suggested and then you were able to use Memtest86+ version 5.01.

Please post into the thread each step that you made to get Memtest86+ version to work as this may be helpful to others reading the thread.

Initially you had used different software: Memtest86 and got errors when testing all of the RAM modules at one time.
    Have you tested all of the RAM modules at one time using Memtest86+ version 5.01?

zbook, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Understanding different memtest86 results with same memory modules - Similar Threads - Understanding different memtest86

2. BSoD codes: d1, 1e, 50 with new PC Provided Minidumps, Memory Diagnostics + MemTest86 Results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD codes: d1, 1e, 50 with new PC Provided Minidumps, Memory Diagnostics + MemTest86 Results: Hello, I've been having issues with my new PC that I built Blue screens + randomly shutting off. I've done my best to find solutions by googling the codes code: d1, 1e, 50 and I've narrowed down the issue to some type of faulty drivers, faulty RAM, or faulty RAM slots on my...
  3. BSoD codes: d1, 1e, 50 with new PC Provided Minidumps, Memory Diagnostics + MemTest86 Results

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSoD codes: d1, 1e, 50 with new PC Provided Minidumps, Memory Diagnostics + MemTest86 Results: Hello, I've been having issues with my new PC that I built Blue screens + randomly shutting off. I've done my best to find solutions by googling the codes code: d1, 1e, 50 and I've narrowed down the issue to some type of faulty drivers, faulty RAM, or faulty RAM slots on my...
  4. 2 "tests", same PC, different results...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 "tests", same PC, different results...: If I want windows 11, How can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-tests-same-pc-different-results/264d9564-5134-4c5e-af64-edee3447b4f9
  5. 2 "tests", same PC, different results...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 "tests", same PC, different results...: If I want windows 11, How can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-tests-same-pc-different-results/264d9564-5134-4c5e-af64-edee3447b4f9
  6. 2 "tests", same PC, different results...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Help with MemTest86 Result

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with MemTest86 Result: Hello and greetings to everyone, I can't think of any site to ask about this except Microsoft but here it is. So a little background, I purchased a ram online for my laptop, my laptop was currently sluggish at 4gb and decided to get 4gb to get 8gb. So the problem is, I get...
  8. Help Understanding MiniToolBox Results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help Understanding MiniToolBox Results: I am having some problems and I guess we can start here with the results of this scan... thank you, I really appreciate all help. 129125
  9. File explorer not returning the same results on different computer

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer not returning the same results on different computer: Hi, maybe somebody will be able to point me in the right direction. I have the following files in a folder: 123abcdef.txt 456abcdef.txt 789abcdef.txt abcdef.txt On my own computer, I can open this folder in the file explorer and enter abc in the search box. All those files...
  10. Understanding Memory Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Understanding Memory Question: Hello all! I'm new here . I've been a lurker for a year now, but now it's time to create an account, and it's great to be here! but I have a question regarding the memory tab in Windows Task Manager. If I open it up it says 19%, but when I go to the advance tab it says...