Windows 10: Understanding disk partition window cloning Win 7: what does it revea?

Discus and support Understanding disk partition window cloning Win 7: what does it revea? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; High folks, In my effort to learn as I go I have the following question about my Disk Mgt Window on Win 7 Home Premium Ver 6.1. But first the context:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Shel7, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Shel7 Win User

Understanding disk partition window cloning Win 7: what does it revea?

High folks,

In my effort to learn as I go I have the following question about my Disk Mgt Window on Win 7 Home Premium Ver 6.1. But first the context:

I've listed as many specs as I could in my machine profile and here are some more about the background of the issue.

I need to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. I use a number of software apps that will not run on Win 10 and the upgrades for these programs are not on the table. This software was one time purchase licsence and is now a subscription or not available. I neither need the subscription nor want to pay the much higher cost for something that has been working fine for me on Win 7. Thus, I want to Dual Boot so I can continue to use some of my older software when needed.

I purchased a new SSD (Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB) and cloned my old HDD (WD Caviar Blue 500 GB) onto the SSD using EaseUS Todo Backup optimizing for an SSD. The old is an MBR file protocol and the new for the SSD is GPT. It was a complete clone of the whole C drive, all its partitions. I reset the Asus Bios to boot the SSD on default. When all is done I'll clean the 500 GB WD HDD, maybe reformat it and use it only for data. Everything works much faster, the added 8 Gb RAM (2x4Gb + 2x4Gb) and the new SSD are great.

My next step is to partition the SSD for a custom install of Win 10 so I can Dual boot. I can use EaseUS Partition software but think I'll use Windows own Disk Mgt utility (any comments on which to use? there is also Samsung's Disk Magician but think this would be my last choice). However, before I do this the instructions I was following did not show the same, or close to the same, Disk Mgt window. I am unclear if I should just rename the partitions or if something more sinister is at work that I need to pay attention to.

To start if you folk would be so kind and comment on what you see on my Disk Mgt window that may help me understand if there is a problem, how serious it migh t be and how I should proceed. I am also quite happy to provide more detail if requested, just ask. Please see the attached screen capture of the Disk Mgt window.

Notes for attached image:
    In my understanding Disk 0 (the SSD) should show it as the C: drive and Disk 1 should be an exact clone. However, you can see Disk 0 has 4 partitions including the C drive and Disk 1 has 3 partitions including the E and F drive. Can anyone describe or explain what I see? The other disks and volumes are part of three external HDDs (1 x 3 TB, + 2 x 8 TB) that I use as a quasi raid set-up for bups and data storage. They are working fine.

:)

Shel7, Dec 25, 2019
  2. Darkmind Win User

partition cloning help!

Well I just bought a SATA seagate 320gb 7200.10 hard drive. I had to get a power adapter, but anyway. It's in as Drive F (did disk management). Now all I want to do is clone the partition from my old hard drive to my new hard drive. Copy windows and everything else over on my new hard drive, take out my old drive and then use the new drive as the primary C drive. I have norton ghost, and partition magic. I heard ghost is much better. Could someone tell me step by step how to accomplish this? I think I know how, but I do NOT wanna take any chances here..

Darkmind, Dec 25, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 25, 2019
  4. Understanding disk partition window cloning Win 7: what does it revea?

Static~Charge, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

Understanding disk partition window cloning Win 7: what does it revea?

1. Understanding disk partition window cloning Win 7: what does it revea? - Similar Threads - Understanding disk partition

2. Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.: I want to migrate my windows to a new ssd and I have watched multiple videos and read blogs but there is not a single piece of information on how to do it for hdd with multiple drives, I am trying to use macrium reflect for the process so what I am trying to do is to not...
  3. Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.: I want to migrate my windows to a new ssd and I have watched multiple videos and read blogs but there is not a single piece of information on how to do it for hdd with multiple drives, I am trying to use macrium reflect for the process so what I am trying to do is to not...
  4. Understanding partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Understanding partitions: The following image is from Macrium Reflect showing my boot drive. This is a 237 GB SSD. I don't quite follow how (or why) there's 4 partitions, one of which is grayed out showing as 455 MB and another 521MB showing as red, suggesting it's near full. Thanks for any advice....
  5. Understanding partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Understanding partitions: The following image is from Macrium Reflect showing my boot drive. This is a 237 GB SSD. I don't quite follow how (or why) there's 4 partitions, one of which is grayed out showing as 455 MB and another 521MB showing as red, suggesting it's near full. Thanks for any advice....
  6. Help understanding Windows 10 System Disk layout, for reliable cloning

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Help understanding Windows 10 System Disk layout, for reliable cloning: Shortly after porting a few major apps and data groups to my Win-10 (pro, 64 bit) machine, I wanted to make sure I could clone my hard drive. I did so successfully with a very powerful tool I'll recommend everyone have, especially since you can do most operations with the...
  7. Help understanding Windows 10 System Disk layout, for reliable cloning

in Windows 10 Support
    Help understanding Windows 10 System Disk layout, for reliable cloning: Shortly after porting a few major apps and data groups to my Win-10 (pro, 64 bit) machine, I wanted to make sure I could clone my hard drive. I did so successfully with a very powerful tool I'll recommend everyone have, especially since you can do most operations with the...
  8. Disk partition issue after cloning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk partition issue after cloning: Here is my problem. I bought a larger SSD drive to upgrade my main storage on my laptop. I had a 120GB SSD and I went up to a 256GB SDD. On Windows 10 64-bit, I used EaseUS software to clone the disks with the option sector by sector. Something weird has happened. The visual...
  9. cloning win 10 os disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    cloning win 10 os disk: Evening folks. I have a win 7 pc which I clone with Norton Ghost 15 on boot cd which gets me out of trouble regularly especially when trying new software out. I also have a win 10 laptop which does not work with NGhost, presumably because of the UEFI file system or...
  10. Does Ms understand what SERVERS are

in Windows 10 Support
    Does Ms understand what SERVERS are: Hi there Playing around with Ms 2016 SERVER What on earth is Ms playing at -- there's no minimal GUI on basic version but on the "GUI" versions why are there rediculous features such as XBOX, ONLINE, Airplane mode, Blue tooth etc --IT's A SERVER for goodness sake...