Windows 10: understanding IP and NAT firewall

Discus and support understanding IP and NAT firewall in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This article says: Not sure if your wifi router has a NAT firewall enabled? Try connecting two devices to the same wifi network, such as a laptop and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LewG, Jan 9, 2021.

1. LewG Win User

understanding IP and NAT firewall

This article says:

Not sure if your wifi router has a NAT firewall enabled? Try connecting two devices to the same wifi network, such as a laptop and smartphone.

Now, on each of them, run a Google search for whats my IP?

If you see the same IP address for both devices, youre probably behind a NAT firewall.
    I ran the search, and the addresses were each 38 characters long (including colons). The first 19 characters (including colons) were the same, but the last ones were different.

I've only dealt with ip addresses in format ##.#.#.###. What do my googl results mean?

:)

LewG, Jan 9, 2021
  2. xerojer Win User

can't get NAT type 2

I just got a Netgear N600 and I replaced my modem recently.

I've opened up the ports

I've set the static IP on my PS3

I've set the DMZ server

I've opened the NAT filtering on my router and turned off every firewall I could.

-----------

With all that I still have NAT type 3. Is it possible/probable that having my DSL fed through a switch is causing this?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

xerojer, Jan 9, 2021
  3. PS3 Nat Type problem

NAT 2 is just another name for PAT (i think). port address translation, which assigns a port for each connection going out to the internet, so the router knows where to send it back.

Some suggestions: disable any firewall on the laptop
    Try forwarding the PSN ports to the laptops IP, Im guessing the PS3 is on a different network than the router? Maybe a little IP diagram to confirm that info.

PSN ports:
    TCP: 80, 443, 5223
    UDP: 3478-3479, 3658

Hybrid_theory, Jan 9, 2021
  4. mike1127 Win User

firewall rule to block addresses NOT on an IP list?

I am just starting to learn the Windows Firewall (working on both Windows 7 and 10) and I'm not impressed with the inflexibility of its rules. I would like to know if

1. Is there is a way to do what I want with Windows Firewall?
    2. Is there is a third-party firewall that would do it?

What I want to do is create a rule that blocks outgoing connections, for program X, that are to a destination **NOT** in an IP list.

Windows Firewall is not very flexible in how you specify IP list rules. When you give an IP list, your rule will match that list... you can't say "trigger the rule for non-matching IP addresses." Therefore to allow outgoing connections to a list, you have to

1. Change the entire firewall policy to block outgoing connections by default so that you can create an "allow rule" matching your list. This will mess up the rest of your programs.

2. Somehow combine a block rule and allow rule. Create a block rule for most traffic, with the "allow" rule overriding it when appropriate. However, this doesn't appear to be possible in general. It **may** be possible for connections that use IPSec, I'm not sure. And I'm not sure if I can use IPSec in my application.

And is there a third-party firewall that can do it? Most 3rd-party firewalls are LESS sophisticated than Windows Firewall, because the use case they are addressing is providing an interface that doesn't require much comprehension. I need one that's actually MORE sophisticated than Windows Firewall.

mike1127, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

1. understanding IP and NAT firewall - Similar Threads - understanding NAT firewall

2. windows store ip whitelisting in firewall

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows store ip whitelisting in firewall: I have created an outbound rule in my windows defender to block ports 443 and 80. How can i allow windows store access in that device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-store-ip-whitelisting-in-firewall/9348054b-a95b-4d34-b595-45cfee03d8be
  3. Multiple NAT

Multiple NAT: I don't know how to fix this. Please help Multiple NAT devices can cause connectivity problems and prevent other computers and devices on your home network or on the Internet from connecting to your computer. Multiple NAT devices usually don’t prevent you from reaching...
  4. Understanding Windows firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Understanding Windows firewall: Hi there, I used to use third-party software to interface with Windows built-in firewall (I tried Tinywall and BiniSoft) Now, I'm wondering if I can simply use Windows Firewall and skip those utilities altogether. I think I get how Windows Firewall works, it seems pretty...
  5. IP security/firewall service fees

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    IP security/firewall service fees: I am getting several calls a week stating that my Microsoft Security contract is expiring and they are calling to renew for $1500. a year. Every time I hang up...the call comes from either Missouri, Texas, or Ohio. The phone connection is very scratchy and muted with a voice...
  6. Nat troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Nat troubleshooting: Everything looks right & I can connect to Internet but Microsoft Troubleshooter says I have more then 1 NAT device I can't figure out how to fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nat-troubleshooting/df4fec89-6baa-4bce-a220-7e064006ba6e
  7. Dedicated IP for VM with NAT for VPN at router level?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Dedicated IP for VM with NAT for VPN at router level?: Hi, I hope someone can be kind enough to help me with suggestions on my VM setup. What I have: Windows 10 host. (Motherboard has two LAN ports) Virtualization through Hyper-V or Virtualbox 1 main router (192.168.1.1) 1 potential secondary router. What I want: NAT "type"...
  8. Double NAT

Double NAT: On my main desktop I am receiving an error for Double NAT. However, none of my other devices have reported this issue. Is there a setting I turned on or off by accident that would cause this? I can't play any online games with my desktop with this error going on....
  9. NAT Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NAT Problems: Hi, I have a problem with my Xbox Server Connectivity as my NAT is Moderate and the servers are blocked, I think that this problem affects my game doom as every time i connect to the multiplayer lobby it outcomes that it is not connected and dropping packet 4 times and then...
  10. firewall rule to block addresses NOT on an IP list?

firewall rule to block addresses NOT on an IP list?: I am just starting to learn the Windows Firewall (working on both Windows 7 and 10) and I'm not impressed with the inflexibility of its rules. I would like to know if 1. Is there is a way to do what I want with Windows Firewall? 2. Is there is a third-party firewall...