Windows 10: Understanding OneDrive - are there 2 copies on C drive?

Discus and support Understanding OneDrive - are there 2 copies on C drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently bought my first Windows 10 laptop and Office 365 Personal. OneDrive has been uploading my documents automatically (it's taking days). This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NelsonP_NZ, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Understanding OneDrive - are there 2 copies on C drive?

I recently bought my first Windows 10 laptop and Office 365 Personal. OneDrive has been uploading my documents automatically (it's taking days). This is fine but I'm trying to understand the storage details. In fileexplorer the files on the C drive seem duplicated in both in users>me>documents, and also in users>me>onedrive. I suppose these are "physically" the same files or are they indeed duplicated? It would seem a waste of storage.

:)

NelsonP_NZ, Aug 20, 2019
  2. ElissaBB Win User

C Drive doubled after copying music files to OneDrive!

This is puzzling and frustrating. I moved my 30,000 (approx. 270G) of music files from OneDrive to Music folder recently. Then I decided to keep a copy on OneDrive, so copied them over there. All of a sudden my C Drive shows 607G full, which is about double
    what it was before. I can't see any temp files or anything extra that would explain the additional size. My Carbonite app is also showing almost double the number of files backed up. And to make it all even more confusing, my OneDrive only shows 3.42G full
    while listing all my music files, which makes no sense. HELP!

I am 70 years old, not as sharp as I used to be although I've used PCs since 1983. I can't understand all the instructions and lingo on support sites anymore. Please help me with simple step-by-step directions if you have a clue what might be going on. Thanks
    in advance for kind and helpful replies Understanding OneDrive - are there 2 copies on C drive? :)

ElissaBB, Aug 20, 2019
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 20, 2019
  4. ElissaBB Win User

Understanding OneDrive - are there 2 copies on C drive?

C Drive doubled after copying music files to OneDrive!

Thank you so much! I think I'm getting a clue of what the problem is. Looks like my C Drive includes OneDrive files in its storage info so it has doubled when I copied the files to OneDrive.

One more question if you don't mind: If I chose just one place to keep my music files, should it be on my OneDrive or in the Music folder on my C drive? Does it make any difference?

ElissaBB, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Understanding OneDrive - are there 2 copies on C drive?

1. Understanding OneDrive - are there 2 copies on C drive? - Similar Threads - Understanding OneDrive are

2. 2 installs of windows in C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 installs of windows in C drive: Hey everyone, My neighbour has recently updated his acer laptop, and now has 2 installs of windows on his computer. In his C drive there is a folder called "jb" that has a now unused version of windows in it, I have tried to delete it by giving myself permissions but it...
  3. copy c:\....\onedrive using cmd line?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy c:\....\onedrive using cmd line?: my laptop will not start Windows. (I get a message "not enough memory resources are available to process this command.") I am trying to copy all files from the hard drive to an external hard drive (so I can clear the computer and start all over again). I can get to the cmd...
  4. Replace present C drive with larger 2 Tb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace present C drive with larger 2 Tb drive: My C drive is only 118 Gb. with 23.8 Gb free space. I have a 2 Tb. external Hard drive that I would like to make my C drive with Macrium Reflect image back-up on the 2Tb disk. Should I proceed with putting the 2 Tb Hd in the place of my existing C drive & boot with the boot...
  5. 2 copies of Windows on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    2 copies of Windows on separate drives?: I have a laptop and would like to install a "clean" copy of Windows for my recording studio application. Thus when I want to run regular PC apps I load the Windows that came with the PC. When I want to record, I load the "clean" copy. I know its possible to install two but...
  6. 2 Off "C" drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2 Off "C" drives: I have two SSDs both of which are mounted on separate "C" Drives.....W8.1 on one and W10 on the other. To create extra space on W10 have decided to format the W8.1. Have tried changing the drive letter in W8.1 so that I can open with W10 in order to format W8.1....drive...
  7. Lag/Stutter When Copying Files to C Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lag/Stutter When Copying Files to C Drive: I recently experience a very weird issue when I copy large folder to my C drive. Basically, I have a high-end PC, with a 4770K @ 4.3Ghz, 16GB 2133Mhz RAM, 240GB SSD (C Drive), and 2 x 500GB WD Black in RAID 0 (D Drive). When I copy a game folder from D to C, the whole system...
  8. Understanding the OneDrive Engineering Process

in Windows 10 News
    Understanding the OneDrive Engineering Process: Today we take a deep dive into what drives the engineering process. How we balance evolutionary features with truly revolutionary ones and how sometimes a cool kitchen gadget can lead to great engineering and design ideas in OneDrive. Join us and learn how Omar Shahine –...
  9. Copy bootmgr to C:\

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Copy bootmgr to C:\: Some of you may remember my tutorial on this subject from the sevenforums tutorial section. I have just tested this tutorial for Windows 10TP and it works here too. You may be asked to download a later version of EasyBCD. I recommend you use that. You will also be prompted to...
  10. Unable to move/copy etc. files within C: drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to move/copy etc. files within C: drive?: Hi, I've newly installed W10 Pro and am constantly being pestered with permission nags (see attached) while attempting to reorganise files within the Local Disk. I've tried changing the User permissions via "Properties>Security" but encounter nothing but a load of...