Windows 10: understanding partitions b4 imaging

Discus and support understanding partitions b4 imaging in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I would like to implement an OS backup system like Reflect. Before I can do this I need to better understand what's going on with my main drive. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Philr, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Philr Win User

understanding partitions b4 imaging

I would like to implement an OS backup system like Reflect. Before I can do this I need to better understand what's going on with my main drive. This is likely simple for you.

My computer as 2 SSDs installed (each 1TB). My E: (2nd) I keep for documents. My C: (1st) I use for the OS and programs/applications.

understanding partitions b4 imaging [​IMG]
    This 1TB C: drive says about 40% full.

When I look at this same drive using Reflect it gives me numbers I don't understand.

understanding partitions b4 imaging [​IMG]

I have a red bar for the NTFS Prmary that says max capacity is 500MB (~90% full). The 4th section also says NTFS Primary but gives a capacity of 930MB with ~40% full.

I don't understand the distinction. I would like to add more programs to my C: drive as needed then image but don't know if I have hit my upper limit on C:. (I usually accept the default location when adding new applications, generally C:.)

Should I get another 1TB SSD w/o partitions and image what I have then use that as my primary C: drive?
    Is there a better strategy?

Thank you,

:)

Philr, Dec 17, 2020

2. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Dec 17, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 17, 2020
  4. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

1. understanding partitions b4 imaging - Similar Threads - understanding partitions imaging

2. How shall one understand this partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How shall one understand this partition?: I did "Disk Management" on WIndows 10 PC and I gothttps://imgur.com/a/Uikp1bUIn this setup,1 Why is it that Windows is D: and not in C:?2 is it true that, if I clean install Windows, then, it will clean install D: and not program file in C:?...
  3. How shall one understand this partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How shall one understand this partition?: I did "Disk Management" on WIndows 10 PC and I gothttps://imgur.com/a/Uikp1bUIn this setup,1 Why is it that Windows is D: and not in C:?2 is it true that, if I clean install Windows, then, it will clean install D: and not program file in C:?...
  4. How shall one understand this partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Understanding partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Understanding partitions: The following image is from Macrium Reflect showing my boot drive. This is a 237 GB SSD. I don't quite follow how (or why) there's 4 partitions, one of which is grayed out showing as 455 MB and another 521MB showing as red, suggesting it's near full. Thanks for any advice....
  6. Understanding partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Understanding partitions: The following image is from Macrium Reflect showing my boot drive. This is a 237 GB SSD. I don't quite follow how (or why) there's 4 partitions, one of which is grayed out showing as 455 MB and another 521MB showing as red, suggesting it's near full. Thanks for any advice....
  7. Understanding GPT Partition

Understanding GPT Partition: I just purchased a new PC. My old PC, which I had for more than 10 years had a 1 tb hdd. If I understand drives the the drive is MBR. The new drive is a SSD BPT. When I got this new one home the first thing I did was delete the extra partitions. Needless to say when I tried...
  8. System Image in a partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image in a partition: Hi, Is it possible to create a system image into a partition that is in the same physical hard drive? So if I have Drive C with the OS, and Drive D with nothing in it, can I create a system image and put it into Drive D?...
  9. Imaged partitioned Drive

Imaged partitioned Drive: I Acronised my Hard Drive (boot drive) which is 500 Gig to my SSD. Don't ask me why ASUS had it partitioned (as it does my second 500 Gig Drive). Here's what I see when I go to Windows Explorer. The SSD is obviously a clone of my HD, which SSD (C:\) is now showing 122 Gigs...
  10. Image of two partitions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image of two partitions: I've a SSD with windows 10,other SATA HD with programs. Is it possible to create an single image of both systems for future restoring purposes? Thanks 52679