Windows 10: understanding reading and writing on SSD

Discus and support understanding reading and writing on SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Good day. I was wondering if someone could answer the following. Whenever I copy from my C partition on an SSD and paste into a different storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by justtesting, Jun 9, 2021.

1. understanding reading and writing on SSD

Good day. I was wondering if someone could answer the following. Whenever I copy from my C partition on an SSD and paste into a different storage device (HDD, USB flash drive, RAMdisk), am I reading and / or writing on the original SSD? More generally, what actions constitute writing on an SSD that can be reduced to lengthen its lifespan? Thank you for your attention.

:)

justtesting, Jun 9, 2021

2. help understanding ssd's

Is a ssd with a higher iops read and write and a lower read and write megabytes faster then one with higher read and write iops and and higher read and write megabytes?

Sorry I am trying to understand. I want to buy a new one soon. And I notice that one of Samsung's ssd had a read and write iops of 100,000 / 90,000. A read and write of 540 mbs / 520 mbs. I also was looking at Intel's ssd's. There's had a 41,000 / 80,000 iops. And read and write 540 mbs / 490 mbs. So which one is faster? And better? longer lasting?

Thank you for any help.

Airbrushkid, Jun 9, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 9, 2021
  4. Carlo Fer Win User

understanding reading and writing on SSD

wed can reformatting ssd

Hello Allen,

It seems that you're SSD is in a read-only state. Read-only is the same as write-protected.

As an initial troubleshooting, I suggest that you follow the steps provided by Angela Pun which helped a lot of community members in this
    thread.
    Make sure to select the SSD drive.

If the issue still persists, please follow these steps on how to format a write-protected SSD using Command Prompt.

1. Press the Windows key + R. A run dialog box will open.
    2. Type CMD then press Enter.
    3. Type diskpart
    4. Type list volume
    5. Type select volume # ( # is the number of USB HDD you've plugged in)
    6. Type attributes disk clear
      read-only
    7. Type clean

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Carlo Fer, Jun 9, 2021
Thema:

understanding reading and writing on SSD

1. understanding reading and writing on SSD - Similar Threads - understanding reading writing

2. 100% usage on SSD with no read or write

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    100% usage on SSD with no read or write: One day I shut down my PC and the next morning my drive was at 100% usage and every time I tried to open the drive on the file explorer it freezes up and restarts. I tried formatting the drive but was unable to since it was "in use". I've tried all I can to resolve the issue...
  3. 100% usage on SSD with no read or write

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% usage on SSD with no read or write: One day I shut down my PC and the next morning my drive was at 100% usage and every time I tried to open the drive on the file explorer it freezes up and restarts. I tried formatting the drive but was unable to since it was "in use". I've tried all I can to resolve the issue...
  4. 100% usage on SSD with no read or write

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Understanding Write-Verbose and Write-Debug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Understanding Write-Verbose and Write-Debug: Hi, [CmdletBinding] Param $CurrentVerbosePreference = $VerbosePreference $CurrentDebugPreference = $DebugPreference Write-Host "$VerbosePreference" Write-Host "$DebugPreference" $VerbosePreference = "Continue" $DebugPreference = "Continue" Write-Host "$VerbosePreference"...
  6. Understanding Write-Verbose and Write-Debug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Understanding Write-Verbose and Write-Debug: Hi, [CmdletBinding] Param $CurrentVerbosePreference = $VerbosePreference $CurrentDebugPreference = $DebugPreference Write-Host "$VerbosePreference" Write-Host "$DebugPreference" $VerbosePreference = "Continue" $DebugPreference = "Continue" Write-Host "$VerbosePreference"...
  7. Understanding SSD Positioning and Endurance - a good read!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Understanding SSD Positioning and Endurance - a good read!: Hi all - Just wanted to share this article by Western Digital as it is well written and not too technical: Understanding SSD Endurance Hope that this is a useful resource. *Smile 175181
  8. SSD disk active time at 100 with no read/write

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD disk active time at 100 with no read/write: Hi. So ever since the 20H2 update, my computer randomly freezes with disk active time sitting at 100 with no read and write. I can move my mouse and I can move Windows around, but I can't click on anything or alt+tab. It happens while navigating different windows and...
  9. New External SSD, Low Read/Write

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New External SSD, Low Read/Write: Okay so, I just got a brand new Samsung 860 EVO SSD today. I decided to go with an external setup as it requires less hassle, and while I don't expect the fastest performance in doing so, I am getting absolutely ABYSMAL speeds. Not even half of the Seq Read/Write of my 4 year...
  10. SSD read write concern

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD read write concern: I have a 512gb ssd from Samsung. I sometimes record with FBX game recorder. But then the recordings dont meet my standards and i delete the files. Does this do read writes to my ssd? Will this damage my ssd? the files are a bit big, like 500mb-2gb sometimes. 115631