Windows 10: Understanding the CBS log & repairing corrupt files

Discus and support Understanding the CBS log & repairing corrupt files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've been getting some event errors lately, in particular 2 errors. Date: 10/21/2019 8:54:17 AM Type: ErrorEvent: 1020Source:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by phrab, Oct 22, 2019.

1. phrab Win User

Understanding the CBS log & repairing corrupt files

I've been getting some event errors lately, in particular 2 errors.

Date: 10/21/2019 8:54:17 AM
    Type: ErrorEvent: 1020Source: Microsoft-Windows-Perflib

The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect function of the "C:\Windows\System32\perfts.dll" Extensible Counter DLL for the "LSM" service. The given buffer size was 34008 and the required size was 45368.

Date: 10/21/2019 2:07:45 PM
    Type: WarningEvent: 1008Source: Microsoft-Windows-Perflib

The Open procedure for service ".NETFramework" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscoree.dll" failed with error code The system cannot find the file specified.. Performance data for this service will not be available.

So I went to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rrupted-system and ran

sfc /scannow

I got the message:
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

I tried to follow the rest of the steps listed on the support page, but got lost in the details.

1. When I used an elevated Powershell & ran the suggested command, I got:

PS C:\> findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

out-file : Could not find a part of the path 'C:\%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt'.At line:1 char:1+ findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\s ...+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : OpenError: Understanding the CBS log & repairing corrupt files :)) [Out-File], DirectoryNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : FileOpenFailure,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.OutFileCommand

2. I manually went to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS & opened CBS.log.There was so much detail that I couldn't follow what was corrupt. I've attached the log.

I would appreciate anyone telling me what files are corrupt & how to replace them. Thank you in advance!

:)

phrab, Oct 22, 2019

2. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Oct 22, 2019
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    SFC reports corrupt files that cannot be repaired

Hi Jay,

For to better assist you with the SFC reports issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Have you installed any Windows updates prior to this issue?
    • Please provide us a CBS logs for us to determine what is the file that cannot be repaired.
    To get the logs, please follow the steps below:

• Open a Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >”%userprofile%\Desktop\sfclogs.txt”, then hit
      Enter. (This will create a sfclogs.txt file on your desktop).
    • Open the sfclogs.txt and check the result of SFC scan.
    Note: SFC cannot always fix corrupted files.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Oct 22, 2019
  4. Understanding the CBS log & repairing corrupt files

SFC Corrupt Files

Nope, ran sfc /scannow and it stopped at 72%. The log file is attached.

Max0101010, Oct 22, 2019
Thema:

Understanding the CBS log & repairing corrupt files

1. Understanding the CBS log & repairing corrupt files - Similar Threads - Understanding CBS log

2. corrupted cbs files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    corrupted cbs files: My PC keeps getting the bsod. I ran the scan health, restore health & scansfx code to fix the problem and it turns out like this How can I fix the corrupted files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupted-cbs-files/fc98b420-8618-48cc-8866-c7af1cc867ec
  3. corrupted cbs files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    corrupted cbs files: My PC keeps getting the bsod. I ran the scan health, restore health & scansfx code to fix the problem and it turns out like this How can I fix the corrupted files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupted-cbs-files/fc98b420-8618-48cc-8866-c7af1cc867ec
  4. CBS log corrupted files- Weird Windows 10 issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CBS log corrupted files- Weird Windows 10 issue.: Hello,I kept having an issue with my current Windows 10 pro version 19044.1899.After 30 minutes the computer starts lagging visually and it is really annoying.I know now it is not a hardware issue because I am using a brand new GPU.I have run DSIM and I got this files that...
  5. CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.: Hi,I run a C: backup about once a week. But before the backup, I run SFC /scannow. Sometimes I get "found corrupted files and they were repaired.So looking as the CBS Log file and can not find any repairs listed. I do a search in the CBS file for "corrupted" and it does not...
  6. CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.

CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.: Hi,I run a C: backup about once a week. But before the backup, I run SFC /scannow. Sometimes I get "found corrupted files and they were repaired.So looking as the CBS Log file and can not find any repairs listed. I do a search in the CBS file for "corrupted" and it does not...
  7. SFC not repairing file. HRESULT = 0x80070002 In CBS Log

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC not repairing file. HRESULT = 0x80070002 In CBS Log: Hey, I have been having problems updating my computer for awhile pushing them off thinking nothing of it but just recently I was trying to install apps on MC Store and it would not download as well as my Windows Updates, giving me the error 0x800703f1. I did some research and...
  8. SFC not repairing file. HRESULT = 0x80070002 In CBS Log

SFC not repairing file. HRESULT = 0x80070002 In CBS Log: Hey, I have been having problems updating my computer for awhile pushing them off thinking nothing of it but just recently I was trying to install apps on MC Store and it would not download as well as my Windows Updates, giving me the error 0x800703f1. I did some research and...
  9. SFC not repairing file. HRESULT = 0x80070002 In CBS Log

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. CBS log file translation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CBS log file translation: I am having issues with some log files that was created after i performed a sfc /scannow. It gave me an error stating that I had some corrupted files. I then performed Deployment Imaging Service Management scan (DISM /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth) which ran 100%...