Windows 10: Understanding Windows 10 backup

Discus and support Understanding Windows 10 backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Anticipating some significant changes to my desktop PC, I did a backup to my networked (if that's the correct term?) QNAP NAS. However, this left me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dogfonos, Sep 27, 2020.

1. dogfonos Win User

Understanding Windows 10 backup

Anticipating some significant changes to my desktop PC, I did a backup to my networked (if that's the correct term?) QNAP NAS. However, this left me with a few questions so I'd really appreciate some explanations.

I've backed up several times already to my NAS when using Windows 7 and this was my first 'proper' backup using W10 Pro (v1909) 32bit. When I opened Backup>More Options>Backup Options>Backup these folders, the first folder that appeared in the long list to be backed up was Users C:\ (why not C:\Users?). Great, that's what I wanted, but why then list lots more of my other folders that are all subfolders of C:\Users. What's the point in that? And note that not every subfolder of C:\Users was listed. In fact, no subfolders for the second PC user were listed at all and only some of the C:\Users\Public folders were listed. I guess I'm missing something here? Is there an explanation?

During the backup process, the long list of subfolders remained visible under the Backup these folders heading except for the first entry in the list, User C:\, which had disappeared?!? Got me thinking that maybe not every subfolder of C:\Users had been backed up after all. After backup had run it's course, I checked the backed up folders on my NAS and found that none of the second user's folders had been backed up, neither had all the Public folders.

I had logged on to my PC using my administrators account but I hadn't logged in to my Microsoft account - maybe that was the issue? Did I misunderstand something?

Finally, I couldn't see any on-screen indication to inform me that a backup was in progress. Is there not some visual indicator or anything at all to show a backup is in progress?

Apologies for the long post and thanks for your consideration.

:)

dogfonos, Sep 27, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 27, 2020
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Sep 27, 2020
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Understanding Windows 10 backup - Similar Threads - Understanding backup

2. Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences: So it's been brought to my attention that there's "two different microsoft anti-virus programs". One is free, and come pre-installed, and one comes with the Microsoft Office 365 pack, which is payed. I noticed this due to me being able to open microsoft through settings on my...
  3. Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences: So it's been brought to my attention that there's "two different microsoft anti-virus programs". One is free, and come pre-installed, and one comes with the Microsoft Office 365 pack, which is payed. I noticed this due to me being able to open microsoft through settings on my...
  4. Asking help understanding the Windows Backup & Restore.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Asking help understanding the Windows Backup & Restore.: I have a Windows 10 PC with all the updates. I started using Windows Backup & Restore. I am wording my query on Google every way I can but it doesn't seem to answer anything that I understand right away. I have the B&R scheduled every night at 12am. Now does this erase the...
  5. Need help understanding system backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help understanding system backup: I really have no knowledge of this but I want to make sure I get it right. This is what I understand so far. Please correct me 1. Installing the macrium reflect in the laptop 2. Run the programme to make a clone. What is the image making option though? 3. Backup and save 4....
  6. Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium: I've spent countless hours trying to research this so I can understand it and I'm still having issues. If I use software such as Macrium, I can clone my C drive to an SSD so that if my C drive were to fail, I could pop in the SSD and that's it. It's basically like nothing...
  7. Help me understand Windows 10 backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help me understand Windows 10 backup: If I abandon my long-standing method of using Windows 7 system image backup for my five PCs, it is not clear to me exactly what happens with Windows 10 backup. I have searched all over for a full explanation. For a worst case example: Suppose my hard drive completely bites...
  8. Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration)

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration): Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point yet. By chance I was looking at my account settings > data files and clicked on a few of my emailname.ost files. Each returned...
  9. Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration): Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point yet. By chance I was looking at my account settings > data files and clicked on a few of my emailname.ost files. Each returned...
  10. Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options: New to Windows 10, wanting to set up my backup routine(s). Although I have had Windows systems in the past( 95, XP, Vista, 8.1) still not quite understanding what the various backup options provide. What I have done: Activated File History to an external hard drive. Created...