Windows 10: Understanding Windows firewall

Discus and support Understanding Windows firewall in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi there, I used to use third-party software to interface with Windows built-in firewall (I tried Tinywall and BiniSoft) Now, I'm wondering if I can... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by verysame, Sep 13, 2020.

1. verysame Win User

Understanding Windows firewall

Hi there,

I used to use third-party software to interface with Windows built-in firewall (I tried Tinywall and BiniSoft)
    Now, I'm wondering if I can simply use Windows Firewall and skip those utilities altogether.

I think I get how Windows Firewall works, it seems pretty straightforward: I click on "Allow an app through firewall" from the Windows Security screen which opens the old-style Windows Control Panel Firewall.
    Here, I click on Change Settings and now I can either block or add another app and decide whether to block it or allow it through the firewall.

The one thing I'm not sure about which I always felt comfortable with when I used one of those utilities is, what happens to newly installed software? If something doesn't show up in the old-style Windows Control Panel Firewall how do I know if the new software is going through the network or not? Of course, I could simply open the software and try, but I'd like to know how the firewall works.

With the utility, I know it wouldn't go through because they block basically everything unless I manually unblock it. In fact, it's due to their quite aggressive approach that I'm now considering avoiding them (they even block some Windows functionalities).

:)

verysame, Sep 13, 2020

2. Best free AV and firewall

Can Windows Firewall block outgoing connections yet? If not, it's one step above useless.

Look into Online Armor for a free firewall.

Deusxmachina, Sep 13, 2020
  3. windows firewall question

yes i am sure i am having no issues with a router. this is at my work. and i only have issues with the windows 7 firewall.

as for adding ports, i do it the same as what is listed in your picture.

THRiLL KiLL, Sep 13, 2020
  4. Understanding Windows firewall

Good Antivirus + Firewall

I would never put anything Norton on my computer.

Nod32 is arguably the best antivirus. AVG is likely not as good, but it's free and at least pretty good.

Firewalls, I'd put Comodo and whatever "Tiny Personal Firewall" is named nowadays on your short list. I think Kerio might have sold it now and it's named something else. Otherwise, just put Comodo on your short list. I think the current version's ease of use has taken a step backwards, seems a bit counter-intuitive when trying to do certain things with it, but overall it does a good job and the price is right.

Deusxmachina, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

Understanding Windows firewall

1. Understanding Windows firewall - Similar Threads - Understanding firewall

2. I Need In Understanding Why I Have 100% Disk Usage With a 32 GB Laptopn HP Victus 16?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Need In Understanding Why I Have 100% Disk Usage With a 32 GB Laptopn HP Victus 16?: Hi, my name is Wilson. I tell you some background about my HP laptop. I bought this computer in March 2022. I remember buying this computer for the first time and it had some weird harsh noises inside the fans somewhere. However, the issue got resolve after months. I don't...
  3. I Need In Understanding Why I Have 100% Disk Usage With a 32 GB Laptopn HP Victus 16?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Need In Understanding Why I Have 100% Disk Usage With a 32 GB Laptopn HP Victus 16?: Hi, my name is Wilson. I tell you some background about my HP laptop. I bought this computer in March 2022. I remember buying this computer for the first time and it had some weird harsh noises inside the fans somewhere. However, the issue got resolve after months. I don't...
  4. I Need In Understanding Why I Have 100% Disk Usage With a 32 GB Laptopn HP Victus 16?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I Need In Understanding Why I Have 100% Disk Usage With a 32 GB Laptopn HP Victus 16?

6. Understanding event viewer details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Understanding event viewer details: Can anyone help me interupt the information? I've looked at a few locations for how to read details of the event viewer with not much luck.Log Name: SystemSource: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PowerDate: 5/1/2024 2:50:05 PMEvent ID: 41Task Category:...
  7. Understanding event viewer details

Understanding event viewer details: Can anyone help me interupt the information? I've looked at a few locations for how to read details of the event viewer with not much luck.Log Name: SystemSource: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PowerDate: 5/1/2024 2:50:05 PMEvent ID: 41Task Category:...
  8. Understanding event viewer details

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. I understand these are optional updates but these dates appear sketchy. I just wanted to...

I understand these are optional updates but these dates appear sketchy. I just wanted to...: Dell laptop XPS 15 9575...Advanced options > Optional updatesDriver updates 5If you have a specific problem, one of these drivers might help. Otherwise, automatic updates will keep yourdrivers up to date.Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Extension - 12/19/2017 12:00:00 AM -...
  10. understanding IP and NAT firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    understanding IP and NAT firewall: This article says: Not sure if your wifi router has a NAT firewall enabled? Try connecting two devices to the same wifi network, such as a laptop and smartphone. Now, on each of them, run a Google search for whats my IP? If you see the same IP address for both devices,...