Windows 10: Undoing Desktop, Documents, et al Move to OneDrive

Discus and support Undoing Desktop, Documents, et al Move to OneDrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I go about restoring all my desktop/documents/pictures/etc files and folders to my user folder on my PC? I mistakenly accepted a rather badly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Barbara McHugh, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Undoing Desktop, Documents, et al Move to OneDrive

How do I go about restoring all my desktop/documents/pictures/etc files and folders to my user folder on my PC? I mistakenly accepted a rather badly worded offer from Microsoft while installing a recent update to move all those files to OneDrive. But I don't want them on OneDrive! I want them where they've been ever since I first started using Windows -- on the PC I work at I only have the one.I tried right-clicking Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc. , in a folder window sidebar, picking the Location tab, and clicking Restore Default. That immediately changes the path for the fo

:)

Barbara McHugh, Jun 17, 2021
  2. KeithM Win User

documents and desktop folders mixed up

• Doube-check OneDrive settings to make susre it isn't set to "backup" Desktop.
    • Copy & psate each of the following into the Explorer Address bar and see what folder opens:
      • shell:ThisPCDesktopFolder
      • shellUndoing Desktop, Documents, et al Move to OneDrive :personal
      • shell:Local Documents
      • shell:::{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

• The first one should open your Desktop folder
    • The next two should open This PC > Documents ( which should be displaying the content of ...\OneDrive\Documents )
    • The last one should also show the contents of ...\OneDrive\Documents, but with the full path in the Address bar.

KeithM, Jun 17, 2021
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jun 17, 2021
  4. Undoing Desktop, Documents, et al Move to OneDrive

Save images/documents to my computer WITHOUT OneDrive being in the link

We suggest that you change the Auto Save location to This PC only in OneDrive settings. To do so, follow these steps:

If the OneDrive available in the taskbar, follow these steps:

• On the right-hand corner at the bottom part beside time and date, click the up arrow to get the OneDrive icon and then right-click on it and then select
      Settings. Like the image shown below:
    • Go to the Auto Save tab, Change the Documents
      and Pictures location to This PC only and then make sure there no tick for
      Photos and videos and also for Screenshots. Like what’s shown below:
    • Click OK to apply the changes.
    • Go back to step 1, go to the Account tab and click the
      Unlink OneDrive
    • Follow the step 1 once again and select Exit.

If the OneDrive is no longer available in the taskbar, follow these steps:

• Click the Start menu and type in OneDrive and then select the first result.
    • Sign in with your Microsoft account associated with your OneDrive and then follow the instructions to complete the login.
    • On the right-hand corner at the bottom part beside time and date, click the up arrow to get the OneDrive icon and then right-click on it and then select
      Settings. Like the image shown below:
    • Go to the Auto Save tab, Change the Documents
      and Pictures location to This PC only and then make sure there no tick for
      Photos and videos and also for Screenshots. Like what’s shown below:
    • Click OK to apply the changes.
    • Go back to step 1, go to the Account tab and click the
      Unlink OneDrive
    • Follow the step 1 once again and select Exit.

Let us know the result of your troubleshooting.

Genevieve Cri, Jun 17, 2021
Thema:

Undoing Desktop, Documents, et al Move to OneDrive

1. Undoing Desktop, Documents, et al Move to OneDrive - Similar Threads - Undoing Desktop Documents

2. Desktop, Documents and Pictures all located inside OneDrive. How to undo this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop, Documents and Pictures all located inside OneDrive. How to undo this?: I initially setup my computer so that everything backed up onto OneDrive, however, the more I used OneDrive, the more I realised that it is not setup for managing large amounts of files like this. I now want to uncouple my Desktop, Documents and Pictures from OneDrive,...
  3. Desktop, Documents and Pictures all located inside OneDrive. How to undo this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop, Documents and Pictures all located inside OneDrive. How to undo this?: I initially setup my computer so that everything backed up onto OneDrive, however, the more I used OneDrive, the more I realised that it is not setup for managing large amounts of files like this. I now want to uncouple my Desktop, Documents and Pictures from OneDrive,...
  4. Confused by BSODS - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED et al.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confused by BSODS - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED et al.: My computer has been plagued by BSODs lately. They are varying in frequency from ~10 minutes after startup to 2 months since last BSOD, but the most often received stop code is KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I have tried many solutions and tried to find potential drivers that...
  5. Help Removing OneDrive and Displaying My Own 'Documents' et al Folder under This PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help Removing OneDrive and Displaying My Own 'Documents' et al Folder under This PC: I am frustrated beyond belief and need help! I do not want OneDrive or any cloud storage on my brand new computer that is connected to a network with automatic network backups.The computer is a Surface Pro 9 running Windows 11.As it is new, I currently have only one data...
  6. Help Removing OneDrive and Displaying My Own 'Documents' et al Folder under This PC

Help Removing OneDrive and Displaying My Own 'Documents' et al Folder under This PC: I am frustrated beyond belief and need help! I do not want OneDrive or any cloud storage on my brand new computer that is connected to a network with automatic network backups.The computer is a Surface Pro 9 running Windows 11.As it is new, I currently have only one data...
  7. Onedrive Documents folder moved

Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  8. Not seeing properties et al on this window

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not seeing properties et al on this window: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ClintJohnMitchell [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l0r8io/not_seeing_properties_et_al_on_this_window/
  9. How to get Documents, Multimedia et al folders moved.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get Documents, Multimedia et al folders moved.: OK, I understand the Windows Folk have given us Users the ability to move our predefined folders around, like Documents or pictures. I've discovered a Documents folder, not on C drive, that is read-only and not where I've moved the Documents folder I generally access for...
  10. undo move to desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    undo move to desktop: I highlighted about 200 video files, then right-clicked. I thought I was pointing to send 'compressed' zip file, instead I clicked on desktop. Now I have 200+ video icons on my desktop. Want them off desktop. What could I do ?...