Windows 10: undoing the choice of how to open files

Discus and support undoing the choice of how to open files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I downloaded and have previously downloaded sewing files with the extension .exp for my bernina sewing machine. Last night when I was opening zipped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LoriCasey, Feb 25, 2020.

1. LoriCasey Win User

undoing the choice of how to open files

I downloaded and have previously downloaded sewing files with the extension .exp for my bernina sewing machine. Last night when I was opening zipped files a box opened up asking how to "open the files." I went to the Microsoft store to see what was available but ended up choosing "media player" as you can tell, I am not computer literate.... all of a sudden all my files in downloads and in my documents files all changed to say open with Media player. I don't know why I thought I had to open them when I have a purchased software program I send them too that allows me to edit. My question is how do I undo choosing media player to open my downloaded files and have I ruined them??? Thank you for your help

:)

LoriCasey, Feb 25, 2020
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Feb 25, 2020
  3. Undo option in File Explorer

Hi Helena,

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us.

Try the following steps and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + E keys from the Keyboard to open the
      File Explorer.

• Click on the drop down of Customize Quick Access Toolbar beside
      File Explorer.

• Click on Undo.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Feb 25, 2020
  4. Kevin_KK Win User

How to undo "always open with" option in Windows 10 (1803 build)

I accidentally click "always open with" a particular application on a BibTeX file and now the icons of all such files change to the icon of that app and I cannot find a way to undo the operation. In fact, I want Windows to always ask me how to open
    a BibTeX file
    instead of sticking to a specific program. Thanks for any suggestions!

Here I found some related posts but none of them seem to solve my problem:

Here are what I've tried, but none of them works:

• Execute "assoc .bib= && assoc .bibtex=" in cmd.exe as Administrator.
      Nothing happens.
    • In Settings under "choose default apps by file type", remove the default app at ".bib" entry.
      However, there's no such entry.

Kevin_KK, Feb 25, 2020
Thema:

1. undoing the choice of how to open files - Similar Threads - undoing choice open

2. Opening a file with an .exe choice.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening a file with an .exe choice.: Ok, this is driving me nuts.Windows 10 will not let me open certain files with my executable of choice, even if I try to change default for an extension.For example. I want to open a pdf with libre writter. I can't select the file and say open with, nor can I go to change the...
  3. Opening a file with an .exe choice.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening a file with an .exe choice.: Ok, this is driving me nuts.Windows 10 will not let me open certain files with my executable of choice, even if I try to change default for an extension.For example. I want to open a pdf with libre writter. I can't select the file and say open with, nor can I go to change the...
  4. Opening a file with an .exe choice.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. undoing an open file type by default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    undoing an open file type by default: I'm a gamer and I like to sometimes download mods for Half-life 2, when the Team Fortress 2 Classic mod was available for download again I wanted to download it but I had never downloaded a mod of a multiplayer game like TF2 only Half life 2, a single-player game, then I...
  6. undoing an open file type by default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    undoing an open file type by default: I'm a gamer and I like to sometimes download mods for Half-life 2, when the Team Fortress 2 Classic mod was available for download again I wanted to download it but I had never downloaded a mod of a multiplayer game like TF2 only Half life 2, a single-player game, then I...
  7. How to undo "always open files with" files in Windows 10 File explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to undo "always open files with" files in Windows 10 File explorer.: In Windows 10 Windows or File Explored I selected a file with an extension that I didn't have a program to open it with. So I selected Media player to open it BUT I DIDN'T NOTICE THAT "Always open with" was selected. So now I have all files associated with this program and...
  8. How do I Undo "always open file with"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I Undo "always open file with": I have a problem. I have been using sims 4 mods, which uses .package files that need to be downloaded, copied, then moved into a different folder. I am familiar with downloading these, but I clicked an option I thought would make it easier. When I downloaded that file, I...
  9. Choice of how to open a file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Choice of how to open a file.: On some of my Microsoft Win. 10 Computers when i try opening a file, i get a pop up choice of what program i want to open the file. I have Microsoft Word and Libre Office on this computer, but the other Win 10 computers when i want to open a file i don't get a choice and it...
  10. "Open With" choice at start up.

in Windows 10 Support
    "Open With" choice at start up.: Since the fall update I am greeted with a choice dialog at start up. It doesn't say what it wants to open but lists a dozen programs. I tried a browser but all it said before loads of code was that this program could not be run in dos mode. If I click off the box it vanishes....