Windows 10: Undoing the installing and upgrade of Windows 10 with an external hard drive

Discus and support Undoing the installing and upgrade of Windows 10 with an external hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I thought I should update my old Windows 10 computer before I used some heavy applications on it. I didn't have the disk space on the internal hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by georgiakielbaska, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Undoing the installing and upgrade of Windows 10 with an external hard drive

So I thought I should update my old Windows 10 computer before I used some heavy applications on it. I didn't have the disk space on the internal hard drive for the update so I used an external hard drive. While the update was happening it was suck on 0% in terms of updating for a few hours and then again on 18% and after 5 hours I decided it wasn't going to fully complete/ the computer is probably too old for the update. So I turned the computer off whilst stuck on 18%. Now I have the hard drive still connected and it is "undoing changes made to your computer". This message has been on the co

:)

georgiakielbaska, Aug 2, 2021
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Aug 2, 2021
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Aug 2, 2021
  4. Undoing the installing and upgrade of Windows 10 with an external hard drive

External hard drive is not working after upgrade to Windows 10

Hi Muataz,

Thank you for positing your query in Microsoft community.

I understand your concern that external drive is not working after Windows 10 upgrade.

This issue might have occurred due to the corrupted or outdated drivers in the system.

1. What is the make and model of the system?

2. Do you get any error message while external hard drive is connected?

Try to connect the external hard drive in the different USB port of the system and also connect external drive to different computer to see if it works.

Let’s try the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Hardware and Devices. I suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your
    Devices.

Refer these steps:

a. Press Windows key +X, select
    Control panel.

b. Change the view by option on the top
    right to Large icons.

c. Click on troubleshooting and click on the
    view all option on the left panel.

d.Run the Hardware and Devices.

Method 2: Try to update driver’s hard disk and chipset and check if it helps.

Please refer the section Install drivers using Device Manager
    from theWiki Article created by Andre Da Costa (MVP, Community Moderator & Wiki Author).

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Hope this helps. If issue persists, please reply with information for further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Suvarna Govinda, Aug 2, 2021
Thema:

Undoing the installing and upgrade of Windows 10 with an external hard drive

1. Undoing the installing and upgrade of Windows 10 with an external hard drive - Similar Threads - Undoing installing upgrade

2. Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive: This morning, Windows 10 updated. Last night, the external hard drive was working.PROBLEM: After the update, I cannot access the external hard drive.I tried other USB ports in the non-working Windows 10 computer. The hard drive is not recognized in any port.I moved the...
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive: This morning, Windows 10 updated. Last night, the external hard drive was working.PROBLEM: After the update, I cannot access the external hard drive.I tried other USB ports in the non-working Windows 10 computer. The hard drive is not recognized in any port.I moved the...
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. installation media with external hard drive windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installation media with external hard drive windows 10: Hi can anyone give me instructions on how to create installation media with an external hard drive for windows 10? i broke my laptop and now im trying to fix it, i have usb flash drives but they all dont have enough storage for the installation so im hoping anyone can help...
  6. Installing windows 10 to and from external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing windows 10 to and from external hard drive?: Having trouble figuring out how to do this. I'm building a new PC and I have everything for it other than it's hard drive. I have an external hard drive that I want to use as a temporary hard drive for the computer just to test that everything is working properly. Thing is,...
  7. External hard drive installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive installation: I am using Windows 10 and am trying to get my computer recognize my external hard drive via a USB port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-installation/5fbf5c54-03af-4c0a-95aa-c2d0f473c5ec
  8. Is it possible to upgrade Windows 10 on an external hard drive?

Is it possible to upgrade Windows 10 on an external hard drive?: I have a "Windows To Go" hard drive (in other words, a Windows 10 Pro installion that is installed directly into an external USB hard drive), and I want to upgrade from version 1803 (RS4) to version 1809 (RS5). But when I try to update it says that I can't upgrade/install...
  9. Windows 10 upgrades using external hard drive

Windows 10 upgrades using external hard drive: I am unable to use the latest upgrades due to lack of storage. My SD drive won't accept the new upgrades. Can I use the Seagate - Expansion 1TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive to accept the new upgrades? 97202
  10. Installing Windows 10 from External Hard Drive

Installing Windows 10 from External Hard Drive: I have a laptop that has Linux on it. I want Windows 10 Pro. I have the iso, but can't find my usb sticks. Is there an easy way to install from an external hard drive reader? I have one that I can read drives from and was wondering how it can be done if possible? Thanks...