Windows 10: Unexpected folder called updated that is an exact copy of my desktop

Discus and support Unexpected folder called updated that is an exact copy of my desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, My hard drive was unexpectedly full one day. I downloaded Wiztree to analyse what was using up all the space and there was a folder in my user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sbts, Sep 20, 2016.

1. sbts Win User

Unexpected folder called updated that is an exact copy of my desktop

Hi,
    My hard drive was unexpectedly full one day. I downloaded Wiztree to analyse what was using up all the space and there was a folder in my user account called "updated" that was pretty mush an exact copy of my desktop. After taking some advice I renamed the folder to see if it seemed to effect anything - it didn't.
    Today I actually ran out of space on the hard drive so ran Wiztree again and a new folder has appeared called "updated" with everything in it from the date I renamed the old folder. I have now deleted the first folder I renamed but it looks like its gonna happen again. What is this folder "updated" and why is it there ?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Keith

:)

2. auggy Win User

Frequent BSOD Kernel Secy Check Failures on Win 10

Try the following to copy the minidump files to a folder on the Desktop and zip them:

First, create a folder on the Desktop and call it Minidumps

Then open the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and do the following:

Home > Select all > Home > Copy to > Choose location > Minidumps > Copy

Then right-click the Minidumps folder > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder

auggy, Sep 20, 2016
  3. auggy Win User
    BSOD irql_not_less_or_equal error everytime I open a steam game.

Hi,

If you moved the minidump files to the Desktop there will still be a permissions issue.

You have to copy them (not move).

Can you move the minidump files back to the Minidump folder.

Then try copying the minidump files to a folder on the Desktop this way:

First, create a folder on the Desktop and call it Minidumps

Then open the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and do the following:

Home > Select all > Home > Copy to > Choose location > Minidumps > Copy

Then right-click the Minidumps folder > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.

Then upload the newly created compressed (zipped) folder to OneDrive or similar site and then provide a link here.

auggy, Sep 20, 2016
  4. sbts Win User

- see attached jpeg
    Its done it again my e drive is full again

5. RolandJS Win User
    I'm wondering if the computer is running the full monte concerning Windows backup/Windows File History?

RolandJS, Sep 25, 2016
  6. sbts Win User
    I've no idea Roland,
    how do I check if it is and if it is how do I disable it.
    Cheers,
    Keith

7. sbts Win User
    By the way windows is on a separate SSD (C) this is happening on my E: drive

8. RolandJS Win User

Dunno; I never have used Windows' built-in backup/restore nor File History; others here will have to guide you.

RolandJS, Sep 28, 2016
  9. sbts Win User
    OK I think I fixed the problem.
    I noticed a file called " updated.update_in_progress.lock " which has a .LOCK extension.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but tried to delete the .LOCK file anyway using Malwarebytes File Assassin but no joy there.

I used Process Explorer to search for "updated" it found the folder and the LOCK file. I deleted the LOCK file first then the folder using Process Explorer to delete. I also found a suspicious Firefox 32 bit exe file in an odd place and since my computer is 64 bit I deleted that too.
    The way I did this was -

• Note the file name or folder you're trying to delete
    • Run Process Explorer > Find > Find Handle > Enter the file or folder name in "Handle or DLL Substring" Dialogue box
    • Click on Search
    • Right Click on the handle and then click "Close Handle" > Press Yes when promoted.
    Should be done. Hope it works for anyone with the same problem.
    Best wishes,
    Keith

sbts, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unexpected folder called updated that is an exact copy of my desktop - Similar Threads - Unexpected folder called

2. Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CreateThread hr =...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CreateThread hr =...: Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 2023-08-09 17:48:53 Event ID: 8193 Task Category: None Level: ErrorKeywords: Classic User: N/A Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CreateThread.... hr = 0x800705af, The paging file is too...
  3. Desktop Folder Called Downloads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Folder Called Downloads: Hello People,I have a problem, Earlier in the year I was messing around with folders and accidentally made both of my folders called "Downloads". I have tried regedit, Command Prompt, etc. Can someone please help me? It's been bothering me for a long time and I think it's...
  4. Desktop Folder Called Downloads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Folder Called Downloads: Hello People,I have a problem, Earlier in the year I was messing around with folders and accidentally made both of my folders called "Downloads". I have tried regedit, Command Prompt, etc. Can someone please help me? It's been bothering me for a long time and I think it's...
  5. Desktop Folder Called Downloads

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Why is a folder called "installers" showing up on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is a folder called "installers" showing up on my desktop?: Hello,Tonight I noticed that there is a folder on my desktop called "installers". I didn't put it there.Does anyone know why it appeared there, and/or what I should do with it? Do I need to put it back somewhere? If so, where? How did it get on my desktop?Thanks in advance!...
  7. Deleting 2 No219GB Folders exact Copies of same downloaded TV Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting 2 No219GB Folders exact Copies of same downloaded TV Programs: I Found I had 2 exact copies of recorded TV Programs of over 10 years ago. I wish to delete the copies before examining the original recordings. So I put them in the recycle bin, and as I now always examine the recycle Bin folder carefully before I delete anything...
  8. Make exact copy of a disc

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Make exact copy of a disc: I want to find out how to make an exact copy of a disc. This is not for an operating system, or a movie, or music. It came from a medical imaging laboratory and has MRI data on it. It also has an executable file that launches it's own proprietary viewer software. I have made...
  9. Make exact copy of a disc

in Windows 10 Support
    Make exact copy of a disc: I want to find out how to make an exact copy of a disc. This is not for an operating system, or a movie, or music. It came from a medical imaging laboratory and has MRI data on it. It also has an executable file that launches it's own proprietary viewer software. I have made...
  10. My Desktop is now called Temporary Burn Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Desktop is now called Temporary Burn Folder: I was looking for some files on my computer when I noticed that the Desktop folder is called Temporary Burn Folder. I don't know why it's called that. [ATTACH]...