Windows 10: Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns

Discus and support Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My laptopis getting unexpected shutdowns, totally out of the blue when left idle. I have ran HP Hardware Diagnostics, Memory Diagnostics, Monitored CPU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GauravPrakash1, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns

My laptopis getting unexpected shutdowns, totally out of the blue when left idle. I have ran HP Hardware Diagnostics, Memory Diagnostics, Monitored CPU Temperatures, Updated Windows, Created Custom Power Plans but unable to pinpoint what is causing the shut downs. On checking the event viewer I found the following Critical Errors just about the time it shuts down.

Event 142, Kernel Power: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. The error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset.
    Event 41, Kernel Power: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. The error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed or lost power unexpectedly.

Also, in the Error List, I can also find Event 13, HAL: The system watchdog time was triggered, happening just at the same time.

Here's my Administrative Log: Administrative Log Please let me know if you need any more information to help me troubleshoot.

:)

GauravPrakash1, Aug 20, 2019

2. Unexpected Shutdown

Hi

Please see response to your questions below

• Did you make any changes on the computer prior to this issue?
    No changes other than about a month ago reinstalling W10.

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    Other than checking updates have successfully installed, none as not sure approach to take.

• What was the exact error code/message you have received?
    No error code or message received. On the first occasion I was looking at outlook and without any warning the PC shutdown. It was almost as if it was a desktop (it is a laptop) and the power stopped. The laptop was plugged into the mains and in addition
    the battery had a full a full charge.

On restarting the laptop no error message came up and I only noted a small difference in boot up, that for a short period a blue screen was displayed (not normally seen on boot up) and then the start screen appeared for me to log in.

As mentioned previously the only reference to this is from the log which in the summary states that there was an unexpected shutdown.

GrahamDavies571, Aug 20, 2019
  3. R-T-B Win User
    PC is Suffering Unexpected Shutdowns

Most important detail to me would be whether these shutdowns are sudden, in which case it's likely a short or PSU issue (capacitor aging maybe?) or graceful windows style shutdowns, which suggests software interference.

It could also be overheating components if it's a sudden shutdown. What are your thermals like?

R-T-B, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns

unexpected shutdown

Pavan N

the shutdown has only happened once I will take steps you suggested if it happens again thanks for your help

brianduggan, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns

1. Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns - Similar Threads - Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns

2. Somthing causing random unexpected shutdowns

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Somthing causing random unexpected shutdowns: I have a PC running windows 10 64bit running the latest version with all drivers up to date (I just checked) My PC randomly crashes/shutsdown unexpectedly. I first though this was emory related so I run Memtest which shown 0 errors in all 4 of my RAM dimms When I took a...
  3. unexpected shutdowns in windows 10!!!!!!!!!!!!

unexpected shutdowns in windows 10!!!!!!!!!!!!: I bought an HP tower in 2015 with windows 8. I upgraded to windows 10 in probably 2016. Ever since I did a large windows update in late 2017, or early 2018 my computer will randomly shut down. Very annoying. I am pretty good with tech, and there seems no reason why this...
  4. Unexpected shutdown of system

Unexpected shutdown of system: My computer constantly switches off when playing certain games. In the past I was able to play the game in full and have not problem. But for a few months now when playing Civilization 6 i am able to play about 10 turns then my computer switches off completely. It does not...
  5. Windows Problem Shutdown Unexpectedly

Windows Problem Shutdown Unexpectedly: Problem signature Problem Event Name: BlueScreen Code: 139 Parameter 1: 2 Parameter 2: ffffaf09644c6520 Parameter 3: ffffaf09644c6478 Parameter 4: 0 OS version: 10_0_17134 Service Pack: 0_0 Product: 256_1 OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.121 Locale ID: 1033 Files that help...
  6. Windows 10 PC shutdown unexpectedly.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 PC shutdown unexpectedly.: Hi so today I had decided to download a game on Steam and I have decided to step away for a few minutes about 5 minutes. When I came back to my computer it was on sleep and I had no idea why it was since it had not been 30 minutes. So I turned it back on and my monitor was...
  7. BSOD system shutdown unexpected

BSOD system shutdown unexpected: the system shutdown was unexpected,the computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. 78611
  8. Unexpected shutdown in evnt log

Unexpected shutdown in evnt log: Not much to go on but this morning around 10am I tried to get my main machine out of the lock screen but no response. I ended up doing a hard reset and it booted normally. Checking the event log at 10am it says the computer unexpectedly shutdown at 03.24 but scrolling back...
  9. Unexpected Shutdown Event ID 109

in Windows 10 Support
    Unexpected Shutdown Event ID 109: Several times over the last few weeks, I noticed that my computer (Dell Optiplex 9020) had rebooted while left on overnight. Then today, without warning, the light blue (not BSOD) WIn 10 Restarting screen appeared while I was doing something noninvasive, like checking email....
  10. Help with Unexpected Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with Unexpected Shutdown: Hi, I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my laptop (Dell 7720). While running Fallout 4, I encountered sudden power-off for my system. The power button did not turn back on for a couple of minutes and the bottom of the laptop was quite hot. How can I ensure...