Windows 10: Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns

Discus and support Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My laptopis getting unexpected shutdowns, totally out of the blue when left idle. I have ran HP Hardware Diagnostics, Memory Diagnostics, Monitored CPU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GauravPrakash1, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns

My laptopis getting unexpected shutdowns, totally out of the blue when left idle. I have ran HP Hardware Diagnostics, Memory Diagnostics, Monitored CPU Temperatures, Updated Windows, Created Custom Power Plans but unable to pinpoint what is causing the shut downs. On checking the event viewer I found the following Critical Errors just about the time it shuts down.

Event 142, Kernel Power: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. The error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset.
    Event 41, Kernel Power: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. The error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed or lost power unexpectedly.

Also, in the Error List, I can also find Event 13, HAL: The system watchdog time was triggered, happening just at the same time.

Here's my Administrative Log: Administrative Log Please let me know if you need any more information to help me troubleshoot.

:)

GauravPrakash1, Aug 20, 2019

2. Unexpected Shutdown

Hi

Please see response to your questions below

• Did you make any changes on the computer prior to this issue?
    No changes other than about a month ago reinstalling W10.

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    Other than checking updates have successfully installed, none as not sure approach to take.

• What was the exact error code/message you have received?
    No error code or message received. On the first occasion I was looking at outlook and without any warning the PC shutdown. It was almost as if it was a desktop (it is a laptop) and the power stopped. The laptop was plugged into the mains and in addition
    the battery had a full a full charge.

On restarting the laptop no error message came up and I only noted a small difference in boot up, that for a short period a blue screen was displayed (not normally seen on boot up) and then the start screen appeared for me to log in.

As mentioned previously the only reference to this is from the log which in the summary states that there was an unexpected shutdown.

GrahamDavies571, Aug 20, 2019
  3. R-T-B Win User
    PC is Suffering Unexpected Shutdowns

Most important detail to me would be whether these shutdowns are sudden, in which case it's likely a short or PSU issue (capacitor aging maybe?) or graceful windows style shutdowns, which suggests software interference.

It could also be overheating components if it's a sudden shutdown. What are your thermals like?

R-T-B, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns

unexpected shutdown

Pavan N

the shutdown has only happened once I will take steps you suggested if it happens again thanks for your help

brianduggan, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns

1. Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns - Similar Threads - Unexpected Laptop Shutdowns

2. my laptop shutdown unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my laptop shutdown unexpectedly: Hello,I have an issue here, my laptop was shutdown unexpectedly two times.The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly....
  3. my laptop shutdown unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my laptop shutdown unexpectedly: Hello,I have an issue here, my laptop was shutdown unexpectedly two times.The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly....
  4. My laptop shutdown unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop shutdown unexpectedly: HI I was wondering if I could ask a question please. Today I have noticed especially today that when I am reading something on the internet my laptop will just shutdown for no reason. I then have to push the power button to return my laptop back and then my laptop will work...
  5. My laptop shutdown unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop shutdown unexpectedly: HI I was wondering if I could ask a question please. Today I have noticed especially today that when I am reading something on the internet my laptop will just shutdown for no reason. I then have to push the power button to return my laptop back and then my laptop will work...
  6. unexpected shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unexpected shutdown: Hello, I have been having a problem with my computer for several months now custom built where the computer will just randomly restart itself. This usually happens while gaming and the screen just goes black but has happened once while not gaming. I have already tried windows...
  7. unexpected shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    unexpected shutdown: Hello, I have been having a problem with my computer for several months now custom built where the computer will just randomly restart itself. This usually happens while gaming and the screen just goes black but has happened once while not gaming. I have already tried windows...
  8. Unexpected Shutdown in windows laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unexpected Shutdown in windows laptop: Below is my event log for this unexpected shutdown could someone help me to diagnose this problem+ System - Provider [ Name] EventLog - EventID 6008 [ Qualifiers] 32768 Version 0 Level 2 Task 0 Opcode 0 Keywords 0x80000000000000 - TimeCreated [ SystemTime]...
  9. Unexpected shutdowns

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unexpected shutdowns: Hello, on freshly new installed microsoft windows 10 pro, activated, i have issue with unexpected shutdowns. Please not that this problem appears only on Win10. On win7 it was not observed. When i enter in the shutdown log, i see error with event id 6008: Log Name:...
  10. Laptop unexpected shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop unexpected shutdown: My laptop shuts down after about 20-25 mins when not connected. It started after a windows update. When connected to a power source, the laptop can run indefinitely. But once I disconnect from the power source, it shuts down an average of 23 mins after. Much worse, if I...