Windows 10: Unexpected restart of Win 10

Discus and support Unexpected restart of Win 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Why my Windows 10 restarts unexpectedly even when is in idle state? I why my PC can not update the KB 4517389... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AlexandruTrufas, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Unexpected restart of Win 10

Why my Windows 10 restarts unexpectedly even when is in idle state?

I why my PC can not update the KB 4517389

:)

AlexandruTrufas, Oct 30, 2019

2. System restart at unexpected times without BSOD.

Hello,

I'm using this OptiPlex 5055 Ryzen CPU desktop and have uploaded this system's specifications under the "2nd PC Spec" section of my profile.

This system often restarts itself at unexpected times, despite the fact that no resource intensive application is run on it (not even the Solitaire game in Windows 10!). Possibly the heaviest application that is run on this system is the Google Chrome Browser! Otherwise, its use is largely limited to the Microsoft Office suite.

I've disabled "Automatically restart" option under Advanced System Settings as follows:

Unexpected restart of Win 10 [​IMG]

Despite this, I don't get the BSOD. The system simply restarts.

So the only option I could think of at my disposal was memory dumps (which thankfully are being created every time the system witnesses such restart!).

I used Nirsoft's BlueScreenView and got the following output:

As you can see, the culprit seems to be ntoskernel.exe.

However, a little reading over the internet suggested related to ntoskernel crash suggested that this is likely to be a drivers issue. But to my disappointment, when I validated this PC's drivers' status with Dell Command Update application, the system already had all relevant drivers installed and updated to their latest versions by Dell's standards.

I also ran the Passmark's Memtest86 testing tool on this system and no problems were reported.

I've run out of ideas at this point so I decided to create this thread.

I ran the Beta Log collector tool and the zip file is attached for your reference (please see DESKTOP-2OOD0RP-(2019-04-16_19-01-26).zip).

Kindly suggest possible issues/troubleshooting steps/solutions.

P.S.: I might be incorrect in posting this thread under the BSOD Crashes and Debugging Forum since this system isn't giving me an actual BSOD. So please let me know in case I migrate this thread to another forum.

Ten64BitUser, Oct 30, 2019
  3. midgo Win User
    Win 10 1607 Restart Issue

I am having a Win 10 1607 restart issue.

In my case the PC tries to restart but the monitor screen goes black and then the monitor screen powers off.

The PC keeps running but will not restart.

I have to push the reset button to restart the PC.

Shut down works fine.

In both restart and shutdown there are no spinning dots...

Can any one help with this restart issue.

I have tried most suggestions on the interwebz:////

My next step is to go back to the previously installed version 1511 in which restart worked then do an upgrade from the 1607 ISO I downloaded.

If this fails I will bite the bullet and do a clean install but I would rather just resolve the issue if I can as I have Win 10 running just the way I like it:///

midgo, Oct 30, 2019
  4. Isha Soni Win User

Unexpected restart of Win 10

Windows 10 unexpected restarts

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

This issue could happen due to Windows updates settings and due to incompatible or corrupted device drivers. Let’s try to follow these methods.

Check the Windows Update settings:

• Press Windows key on the keyboard
    • Click on Settings
    • Go to Update and recovery
    • Go to Windows Update > Advanced Settings.
    • There you can set it to notify you prior to rebooting after a Windows Update.

If this doesn't make any difference, try the methods below.

Method 1: Perform System Maintenance troubleshooter.

I would suggest you to perform System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer and check if it fixes the issue.

Please follow the steps to perform System maintenance check to improve performance of the computer:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all on the left side panel.
    • Click on System Maintenance and follow the onscreen instructions.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Check in safe mode and clean boot mode of the computer

Step 1: Check in Safe mode

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words
    Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you're using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Type settings in search and click on Settings.
    • Click Update and recovery, and then tap or
      click Recovery.
    • Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.
    • Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot.
    • If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click advanced options.
    • Tap or click Startup Settings.
    • Tap or click Restart.
    • On the Startup Settings screen, choose the Safe Mode.
    • Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

If the issue doesn’t occur in safe mode, follow step 2.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a “clean boot” in Windows

Refer to Windows 8.1 steps, as they are applicable to Windows 10.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

If this lets you log in, follow the steps below.

Restart the computer and check.

You can get back to us if you have any difficulties in doing the same. We are always here to help you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

Unexpected restart of Win 10

1. Unexpected restart of Win 10 - Similar Threads - Unexpected restart

2. Frequent unexpected restart in sleep mode and occurring daily BSOD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent unexpected restart in sleep mode and occurring daily BSOD.: I have a repeating problem with my laptop. Almost every time it enters sleep mode, it will suddenly restart. Sometimes BSOD occurs at least once a day.It would be helpful if someone could point me in the right direction to at least know what the problem is.Below is the link...
  3. Frequent unexpected restart in sleep mode and occurring daily BSOD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frequent unexpected restart in sleep mode and occurring daily BSOD.: I have a repeating problem with my laptop. Almost every time it enters sleep mode, it will suddenly restart. Sometimes BSOD occurs at least once a day.It would be helpful if someone could point me in the right direction to at least know what the problem is.Below is the link...
  4. Unexpected restart

Unexpected restart: Greetings, I bought for programming a brand-new powerful Asus laptop 4 months ago and purchased "Windows 11 Pro" operating system for it but 3 weeks ago something went wrong, take into consideration that there is no cracked software I use, everything I've installed is...
  5. Unexpected restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexpected restart: Greetings, I bought for programming a brand-new powerful Asus laptop 4 months ago and purchased "Windows 11 Pro" operating system for it but 3 weeks ago something went wrong, take into consideration that there is no cracked software I use, everything I've installed is...
  6. Windows 11 reinstall failed due to unexpected restart now stuck in restart loop. How to fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 reinstall failed due to unexpected restart now stuck in restart loop. How to fix?: Trying to reinstall windows 11, for some reason my pc restarted during the process now whenever I turn on the pc I get the error message in the picture but when I click on the pc restarts and comes back to this screen. I’ve tried not clicking anything but it’ll just stay on...
  7. Windows 11 reinstall failed due to unexpected restart now stuck in restart loop. How to fix?

Windows 11 reinstall failed due to unexpected restart now stuck in restart loop. How to fix?: Trying to reinstall windows 11, for some reason my pc restarted during the process now whenever I turn on the pc I get the error message in the picture but when I click on the pc restarts and comes back to this screen. I’ve tried not clicking anything but it’ll just stay on...
  8. Help with a sudden and unexpected BSOD Event. PC restarted due to a Bugcheck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with a sudden and unexpected BSOD Event. PC restarted due to a Bugcheck: Hello folks i just ran into my first ever BSOD on my new PC which I built some time ago. The BSOD occurred when i tried restarting my PC due to an issue with the WIFI connection. My computer suddenly stopped networking and displayed no WIFI connections to connect to. I tried...
  9. Help with a sudden and unexpected BSOD Event. PC restarted due to a Bugcheck

Help with a sudden and unexpected BSOD Event. PC restarted due to a Bugcheck: Hello folks i just ran into my first ever BSOD on my new PC which I built some time ago. The BSOD occurred when i tried restarting my PC due to an issue with the WIFI connection. My computer suddenly stopped networking and displayed no WIFI connections to connect to. I tried...
  10. The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows...

The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows...: I tried resetting my PC Asus it got to 98% and now I keep getting this message - “The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click. Ok to restart the computer, and then restart the...