Windows 10: Unexpected Shutdown and Restart

Discus and support Unexpected Shutdown and Restart in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Recently my machine has been shutting itself off mid-game. I usually turn off any other applications off (Chrome, Steam/Origin launchers, etc.) so that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Fireballer45, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Unexpected Shutdown and Restart

Recently my machine has been shutting itself off mid-game. I usually turn off any other applications off (Chrome, Steam/Origin launchers, etc.) so that the only apps running during gaming are the game itself and Discord. Initially I thought that something may be overheating during gaming, but the computer has also shut itself down while I was just watching YouTube, so I'm unsure. I Just replaced the no-name brand PSU on 10/21/19 with a new Corsair unit, so I don't think the power supply is the issue, despite what my quick queries seem to point towards. I usually only run games at mid-high graphics settings, so I don't think the GPU is getting overloaded either.

My computer is a pre-built unit - iBuypower Trace 940:

i7-8700

16 GB RAM

1 TB HDD and 120 GB SSD

ASUS Phoenix GTX 1060 3 GB

ASUS Prime H310 Plus

Corsair RM750 PSU

The only change that's been made to the computer was the power supply.

CPUID HWMonitor shows that my max CPU temp is 75c, my max SSD temp is 51c, my max HDD temp is 42c, and my max GPU temp is 65c. Reliability history shows that it's happened 5 days straight, between 10/15 - 10/19, and 10/21, and all it says in the technical details for each shutdown is that the "previous system shutdown was unexpected," duh.

Every time the machine shuts itself off and restarts I see Event ID 6008 and 41 in the system log, as well as 10016 repeated quite a few times.

If anyone can point me in the right direction before I start spending money on parts that didn't need replacing anyway, it would be immensely appreciated.

:)

Fireballer45, Oct 21, 2019

2. Unexpected Shutdown

Hi

Please see response to your questions below

• Did you make any changes on the computer prior to this issue?
    No changes other than about a month ago reinstalling W10.

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    Other than checking updates have successfully installed, none as not sure approach to take.

• What was the exact error code/message you have received?
    No error code or message received. On the first occasion I was looking at outlook and without any warning the PC shutdown. It was almost as if it was a desktop (it is a laptop) and the power stopped. The laptop was plugged into the mains and in addition
    the battery had a full a full charge.

On restarting the laptop no error message came up and I only noted a small difference in boot up, that for a short period a blue screen was displayed (not normally seen on boot up) and then the start screen appeared for me to log in.

As mentioned previously the only reference to this is from the log which in the summary states that there was an unexpected shutdown.

GrahamDavies571, Oct 21, 2019
  3. R-T-B Win User
    PC is Suffering Unexpected Shutdowns

Most important detail to me would be whether these shutdowns are sudden, in which case it's likely a short or PSU issue (capacitor aging maybe?) or graceful windows style shutdowns, which suggests software interference.

It could also be overheating components if it's a sudden shutdown. What are your thermals like?

R-T-B, Oct 21, 2019
  4. Unexpected Shutdown and Restart

unexpected shutdown

Pavan N

the shutdown has only happened once I will take steps you suggested if it happens again thanks for your help

brianduggan, Oct 21, 2019
Thema:

Unexpected Shutdown and Restart

1. Unexpected Shutdown and Restart - Similar Threads - Unexpected Shutdown Restart

2. UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN: I HAD A POWER OUTAGE WHICH CAUSED AN UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN AND NOT I CAN'T GET INTO A PROGRAM I NEED https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unexpected-shutdown/df20d204-4f5d-4ca5-8103-bbd94898b7c5
  3. UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN: I HAD A POWER OUTAGE WHICH CAUSED AN UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN AND NOT I CAN'T GET INTO A PROGRAM I NEED https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unexpected-shutdown/df20d204-4f5d-4ca5-8103-bbd94898b7c5
  4. Unexpected Shutdown

Unexpected Shutdown: I built a brand new computer that has been working great until last night. Sometimes when I'm done working, I'll set Folding@Home to do its thing overnight. But I checked out my computer this morning and it was shutdown. I pulled up the Event Viewer to find the cause and...
  5. unexpected shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unexpected shutdown: Hello, I have been having a problem with my computer for several months now custom built where the computer will just randomly restart itself. This usually happens while gaming and the screen just goes black but has happened once while not gaming. I have already tried windows...
  6. unexpected shutdown

unexpected shutdown: Hello, I have been having a problem with my computer for several months now custom built where the computer will just randomly restart itself. This usually happens while gaming and the screen just goes black but has happened once while not gaming. I have already tried windows...
  7. unexpected shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Unexpected shutdowns

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unexpected shutdowns: Hello, on freshly new installed microsoft windows 10 pro, activated, i have issue with unexpected shutdowns. Please not that this problem appears only on Win10. On win7 it was not observed. When i enter in the shutdown log, i see error with event id 6008: Log Name:...
  9. Unexpected Shutdown

Unexpected Shutdown: Hi All, I'm running a new installation of Windows 10 a machine and withing days of a fresh install I started experiencing shutdowns with following info from Events Log: Source: Kernel-Power Event ID: 41 Level: Critical User: SYSTEM OpCode: Info Task Category: 63...
  10. Unexpected Shutdowns

Unexpected Shutdowns: Hey Y'all, I hope you can shed some light on my issue. My PC has been shutting down unexpectedly and then reboots. Event Viewer is filled to the brim with Errors and Warnings. Everything from DistributedCOM to Kernel-EvenTracking, User Device Registration and Perflib. I...