Windows 10: Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap error after not touching computer for a couple minutes

Discus and support Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap error after not touching computer for a couple minutes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, my computer crashes any time I step away from it for more than 5 minutes. If I'm actively using it, it won't crash. It's always the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by johnson5412, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap error after not touching computer for a couple minutes

Hi there, my computer crashes any time I step away from it for more than 5 minutes. If I'm actively using it, it won't crash. It's always the same error, 'unexpected_kernel_mode_trap'. I saw in a previous question that someone had posted some minidumps. Here's my most recent minidumps, all from today https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al8_xMIgiNAxgpM3inYW14DNQz00Uw?e=gC0TwX

If anyone could help me read these dump files and see if there is anything wrong, I would appreciate that!

I should also say that I ran a complete memtest using memtest86. It came back completely clean and showed no issues.

:)

johnson5412, Dec 19, 2020

2. Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP BSOD on PC

Hi Madalin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with Blue Screen of Death on your PC. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below:

1. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    2. When do you receive the BSOD?

Based on the dump files you have shared, the file ntkrnlmp.exe is causing the Blue Screen of Death. The bug check UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap. For more information
    refer the article
    Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Usually, this error occurs if there is a hardware failure. If you recently added hardware to the computer, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. Run hardware diagnostics that
    the system manufacturer supplies to determine which hardware component failed.

In addition, you can try running Windows Memory Diagnostic to check RAM corruption issues. Kindly follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Boot the PC into
      Safe Mode

2. Press Windows + S keys together to open
      Search.
    3. Now type Memory and click on
      Windows Memory Diagnostic
    4. Click on Restart now and check for problems.
    5. Follow the on screen instructions

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Dec 20, 2020
  3. stop code UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Hi I still have a problem with UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

• When did the issue start? - 4 days ago
    • Did you notice any system setting changes prior to the issue? - no
    • Did you recently make any hardware changes to your PC? - no
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? - restarted, uninstalled unused software
    • current Version 1703 and OS Build 15063.726
    • I"ll appreciate your assistance on this problem

IlyaLitovchik, Dec 20, 2020
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap error after not touching computer for a couple minutes

Windows 10 Creators Update BSOD kernel crash - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Hi Bernat,

Blue screen of death associated with UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP error can be related to hard drive corruption. We suggest that you scan and repair blue screen errors by running "Check Disk" command (chkdsk) by following the steps below:

• Click on Start.
    • Type "command" in the Search box.
    • While holding CTRL + Shift on your keyboard, press Enter. You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
    • Click Yes. A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
    • Type "chkdsk /f" and press Enter. It will begin scanning for hard disk corruption that could be causing 0x7F stop error.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

You can also refer to this
    article
    to resolve blue screen errors in Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Arjay Dom, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap error after not touching computer for a couple minutes

1. Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap error after not touching computer for a couple minutes - Similar Threads - Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap error touching

2. The computer freezes and a blue screen crashes after a couple of minutes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer freezes and a blue screen crashes after a couple of minutes.: The blue screen usually crashes when the system is idle, there was no blue screen during games or other loads. I think it may be due to the undervolting of the processor, although I lowered the voltage by only 0.075V.Error from Event Viewer:Event...
  3. The computer freezes and a blue screen crashes after a couple of minutes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The computer freezes and a blue screen crashes after a couple of minutes.: The blue screen usually crashes when the system is idle, there was no blue screen during games or other loads. I think it may be due to the undervolting of the processor, although I lowered the voltage by only 0.075V.Error from Event Viewer:Event...
  4. Computer freezing after a couple minutes while playing games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing after a couple minutes while playing games.: I've had this problem for a while now where I would be playing a game such as CS:GO or Destiny 2 or even just minecraft and had issues with the computer screen freezing and the audio also freezing after around 10 seconds of the screen freezing. When I check the temp of my...
  5. Computer freezing after a couple minutes while playing games.

Computer freezing after a couple minutes while playing games.: I've had this problem for a while now where I would be playing a game such as CS:GO or Destiny 2 or even just minecraft and had issues with the computer screen freezing and the audio also freezing after around 10 seconds of the screen freezing. When I check the temp of my...
  6. Games keep crashing on my computer after a couple of minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games keep crashing on my computer after a couple of minutes: As you've read in the title, this is my issue. I got my pc a year back October and it was running perfectly till recently August when it would start crashing after a certain amount of time in game. The amount of time it takes to crash actually has continually reduced. I've...
  7. Games keep crashing on my computer after a couple of minutes

Games keep crashing on my computer after a couple of minutes: As you've read in the title, this is my issue. I got my pc a year back October and it was running perfectly till recently August when it would start crashing after a certain amount of time in game. The amount of time it takes to crash actually has continually reduced. I've...
  8. USB Keyboard stops after a couple of minutes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Keyboard stops after a couple of minutes: Hi, so here how it goes. I have a lenovo v110-15IAP. I was using for a year a usb wireless keyboard with no issues. Stopped using it for a couple of weeks Vacation time and when I was back it wasn't working like before. I can type normally for a minute, but then I have...
  9. UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP Bluescreen error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP Bluescreen error: Hello, I was using my PC this morning and received the UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP error after Windows 10 had updated over night. I have never experienced this issue before. When opening the minidump file, there were no drivers listed as the issue. I will attach the minidump...
  10. WIFI keeps disconnecting after a couple of minutes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIFI keeps disconnecting after a couple of minutes: Hi, I'm new here and I'm not very good with that kind of stuff, so please be comprehensive. I have a lenovo Y40-70 that I bought 1 year ago. I have a problem with my wifi connection, it keeps disconnecting after 5 minutes to 1 hour. It's been 1 week since I have this...