Windows 10: unexpected_kernel_mode_trap

Discus and support unexpected_kernel_mode_trap in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Okay so this is the third BSOD in a year But now the BSOD message was unexpected_kernel_mode_trap What could it be? Hope the symbol files are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by guarizapo, Dec 8, 2016.

1. guarizapo Win User

unexpected_kernel_mode_trap

Okay
    so this is the third BSOD in a year
    But now the BSOD message was unexpected_kernel_mode_trap
    What could it be?
    Hope the symbol files are already available

:)

guarizapo, Dec 8, 2016
  2. auggy Win User

Phantom USB causing kernel mode bsod

That error was an 0x7f (UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP).

Can you provide the memory.dmp file from that crash?

auggy, Dec 8, 2016
  3. Windows 10

Why do I get the message unexpected_kernel_mode_trap and how can I fix it?

Rustyboy14, Dec 8, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Latest dump (12/8) shows this:
    Code: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007f) This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that is always instant death (double fault). The first number in the bugcheck params is the number of the trap (8 = double fault, etc) Consult an Intel x86 family manual to learn more about what these traps are. Here is a *portion* of those codes: If kv shows a taskGate use .tss on the part before the colon, then kv. Else if kv shows a trapframe use .trap on that value Else .trap on the appropriate frame will show where the trap was taken (on x86, this will be the ebp that goes with the procedure KiTrap) Endif kb will then show the corrected stack. Arguments: Arg1: 0000000000000008, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT Arg2: ffffc500474d7b30 Arg3: ffffc500489a2ee0 Arg4: fffff8026bbdf9d0[/quote] May or may or may not be a memory problem but let's start by testing your ram. You have 16GB so it's going to take 12 hours or so for a full 8 passes which is the minimum needed for a good test.

===================================================
    Follow this tutorial: MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

MemTest86+ is a diagnostic tool designed to test Random Access Memory (RAM) for faults. MemTest86+ will verify that:

• RAM will accept and keep random patterns of data sent to it
    • There are no errors when different parts of memory try to interact
    • There are no conflicts between memory addresses

Memtest86+ runs from bootable media to isolate the RAM from the system, no other components are taken into account during the test.

unexpected_kernel_mode_trap [​IMG]
    Warning MemTest86+ needs to run for at least 8 passes to be anywhere near conclusive, anything less will not give a complete analysis of the RAM.

If you are asked to run MemTest86+ by a Ten Forums member make sure you run the full 8 passes for conclusive results. If you run less than 8 passes you will be asked to run it again.

unexpected_kernel_mode_trap [​IMG]
    Note MemTest86+ has been known to discover errors in RAM in later passes than the eighth pass. This is for information only; if you feel there is a definite problem with the RAM and 8 passes have shown no errors feel free to continue for longer.

Running 8 passes of MemTest86+ is a long and drawn out exercise and the more RAM you have the longer it will take. It's recommended to run MemTest86+ just before you go to bed and leave it overnight.

Ztruker, Dec 9, 2016
  5. guarizapo Win User
    Alright
    I was unable to complete the 8 passes since the power went down
    Last time I saw it, it was on the 4 pass with no errors
    But I also updated the bios before you answered the thread
    When checking the list of compatible memory module I just saw that my ram was added recently(and it said it was compatible with the xmp profile), so it could have just been unstable at 2400mhz on the old bios
    I will update when I have the time to run the 8 passes of memtest
    Thank you for your help.
    By the way, I noticed that memtest86+ didnt recognize the frequency of the ram module, It said DDR3-0
    So I assume it doesnt recognizes DDR4, I dont think it would affect the test but you may know better

guarizapo, Dec 14, 2016
  6. guarizapo Win User
    I finally was able to run 8 passes and no errors whatsoever

guarizapo, Dec 16, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    How is it running as far as BSODs now?

Ztruker, Dec 16, 2016
  8. guarizapo Win User

So far no BSOD's, It might have been the overclocked ram all this time since the last time I updated the bios was like in march
    Well thanks for your help
    I'm gonna mark this as solved

guarizapo, Dec 16, 2016
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Might want to give it a week or so then of okay mark as solved.

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. unexpected_kernel_mode_trap - Similar Threads - unexpected_kernel_mode_trap

2. BSOD - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f Need Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f Need Help: Hi,I have this error daily. Thanks for help.Dump File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LRJVvi3j5NGm8rlpSCQgwzPh-LSEqWxn/view?usp=sharingChris https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-unexpectedkernelmodetrap-7f-need-help/406763e6-6458-48d3-aa3e-7a8d6a4239b7
  3. BSOD - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f Need Help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f Need Help: Hi,I have this error daily. Thanks for help.Dump File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LRJVvi3j5NGm8rlpSCQgwzPh-LSEqWxn/view?usp=sharingChris https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-unexpectedkernelmodetrap-7f-need-help/406763e6-6458-48d3-aa3e-7a8d6a4239b7
  4. BSOD - unexpected_kernel_mode_trap - at wit's end

BSOD - unexpected_kernel_mode_trap - at wit's end: Over the past three weeks, my husband and I have both been crashing non-stop when gaming. Doesn't matter what game. Seems to operate better when the machine hasn't been on a long time.We bought identical machines from the same company in 2019, but within the last year, we've...
  5. BSOD - unexpected_kernel_mode_trap - at wit's end

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - unexpected_kernel_mode_trap - at wit's end: Over the past three weeks, my husband and I have both been crashing non-stop when gaming. Doesn't matter what game. Seems to operate better when the machine hasn't been on a long time.We bought identical machines from the same company in 2019, but within the last year, we've...
  6. Blue Screen by UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen by UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP: I've been experiencing multiple blue screen errors every so often, the most recent one is: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAPTried debugging it myself but couldn't figure out the issue.Below is the mini dump analysis:************* Path validation summary **************Response Time...
  7. Blue Screen by UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen by UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP: I've been experiencing multiple blue screen errors every so often, the most recent one is: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAPTried debugging it myself but couldn't figure out the issue.Below is the mini dump analysis:************* Path validation summary **************Response Time...
  8. Blue Screen by UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

9. UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT, can't find the issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT, can't find the issue: Hey!I upgraded hardware in the autumn of last year, and things went smoothly for months. However during recent months, I have had a few 3-4 times over the last six months instances of the screen freezing, turning black, then the PC restarting. It only happens during gaming,...
  10. UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT, can't find the issue

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 7f, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT, can't find the issue: Hey!I upgraded hardware in the autumn of last year, and things went smoothly for months. However during recent months, I have had a few 3-4 times over the last six months instances of the screen freezing, turning black, then the PC restarting. It only happens during gaming,...