Windows 10: Unexpectedly locked out of laptop / no BitLocker recovery key

Discus and support Unexpectedly locked out of laptop / no BitLocker recovery key in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have been using my laptop for 18 months, and suddenly this morning I was unable to log in. Instead I have a message asking for my BitLocker recovery... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DominicWells-Cole, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Unexpectedly locked out of laptop / no BitLocker recovery key

I have been using my laptop for 18 months, and suddenly this morning I was unable to log in. Instead I have a message asking for my BitLocker recovery key "because your laptop's configuration has changed. This may have happened because a disk or USB has been inserted"I have not inserted a disk or USB, nor made any changes. I have never in my time using the laptop set up Bitlocker, no been aware of it before today.I followed the prompting links on the screen aka.ms/myrecoverykey and aka.ms.recoverykeyfaq to log in to my microsoft account.I then went to check against the device profile, and cl

:)

DominicWells-Cole, Aug 16, 2021

2. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Aug 16, 2021
  3. BitLocker recovery key

Hi Dan,

We understand that you're experiencing an issue related to Bitlocker.

Just to confirm, are you being asked for a Bitlocker recovery key from the lock screen after booting PC? If not, where are you exactly being asked for a Bitlocker recovery key?

Also, are you the only person that has an account on your device? Have you already done any troubleshooting steps to try to resolve the issue? If yes, what are these troubleshooting steps?

We'll be waiting for your confirmation.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Aug 16, 2021
  4. Unexpectedly locked out of laptop / no BitLocker recovery key

Bitlocker recovery key

Hello,

I'm the IT user-support person in a company and I have this issue with a corporate laptop (belong to a domain & Active Directory):

I received from a user his laptop "dead" (no power-on, nothing to start-it). Accordingly to company security policies I deliver the laptop in service with another blank disk (the same SSD type) because the original one contained data.

After receiving the fixed laptop from service, I changed back the disks by putting the original one at it place.

Now, it occur the issue: at first step of booting it request the Bitlocker recovery key because the disk was bitlocker encrypted before.

The bad-luck is that I don't have this Bitlocker recovery key nowhere: on the printed paper, USB memory stick and not even on the Active Directory.

Is strange, because ussually, the other workstations (laptops with bitlocker activated) have this information on Active Directory.

Maybe because of a possible cause: the laptop owner use to work at home with the laptop and the Active Directory didn't synchronized the information related to Bitlocker recovery key (like for other laptop used in LAN).

I have the "Recovery key ID" on the blue screen for the laptop but is useless because I cannot find the "Bitlocker recovery key" on Active Directory using it.

What do you suggest to do in this case?

Many thanks for any advice and answer.

Mircea Dumitrescu.

Mircea Dumitrescu (mdumitre), Aug 16, 2021
Thema:

Unexpectedly locked out of laptop / no BitLocker recovery key

1. Unexpectedly locked out of laptop / no BitLocker recovery key - Similar Threads - Unexpectedly locked laptop

2. Locked out and can't get recovery key for Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out and can't get recovery key for Bitlocker: Hi,I am really stuck, recently i got stuck onto a Bitlocker recovery screen for Dell XPS with Windows 10.Its gives instruction to get a recovery key but they do not work. havre tried below links1. https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykeyTraceID:...
  3. Locked out and can't get recovery key for Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out and can't get recovery key for Bitlocker: Hi,I am really stuck, recently i got stuck onto a Bitlocker recovery screen for Dell XPS with Windows 10.Its gives instruction to get a recovery key but they do not work. havre tried below links1. https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykeyTraceID:...
  4. Locked out and can't get recovery key for Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Locked out of microsoft account and need bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of microsoft account and need bitlocker recovery key: Hi,I’ve only had my brand new laptop about a month and today turned it on to find a screen asking for a bitlocker key, so tried to log into my microsoft account which then asks to send me a code by txt but its not my number. Tried resetting the number but now telling me i...
  6. Locked out of microsoft account and need bitlocker recovery key

Locked out of microsoft account and need bitlocker recovery key: Hi,I’ve only had my brand new laptop about a month and today turned it on to find a screen asking for a bitlocker key, so tried to log into my microsoft account which then asks to send me a code by txt but its not my number. Tried resetting the number but now telling me i...
  7. Locked out of microsoft account and need bitlocker recovery key

8. BitLocker recovery key not working - locked out of my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker recovery key not working - locked out of my laptop: I am on a Dell using OS Windows 11 and BitLocker recovery key not working - locked out of my laptop I clearly see the key looked up on my phone and my work computer in my MS account but it does not work.Yesterday my machine said said it had updates to install so I did then...
  9. BitLocker recovery key not working - locked out of my laptop

BitLocker recovery key not working - locked out of my laptop: I am on a Dell using OS Windows 11 and BitLocker recovery key not working - locked out of my laptop I clearly see the key looked up on my phone and my work computer in my MS account but it does not work.Yesterday my machine said said it had updates to install so I did then...
  10. Locked Out by Unauthorized Bitlocker Recovery

Locked Out by Unauthorized Bitlocker Recovery: I recently sent in my 2018 Dell Inspiron laptop w/ Windows 10 to have its motherboard replaced by Dell with OEM parts, so I paid a little extra. I did this because I was not able to power it on due to a probable short. And because I was not able to power the laptop on before...