Windows 10: Unexplained crash when ALT-TAB'ing between some open windows

Discus and support Unexplained crash when ALT-TAB'ing between some open windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit onto a 7 year old PC. The PC was previously running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and I've installed Win 10 onto a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WinTenner, Jan 17, 2020.

1. WinTenner Win User

Unexplained crash when ALT-TAB'ing between some open windows

I've just installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit onto a 7 year old PC. The PC was previously running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and I've installed Win 10 onto a separate partition so I can still boot up Win 7 or Win 10 as required.

It was running fine for a few hours after the Win 10 installation but when I was ALT-TAb'ing between some open windows (one for Notepad, the other ESET NOD32, and another I forget) it suddenly crashed and rebooted. No BSOD, it just immediately shut down. It's never done this with Win 7, just this one instance so far with Win 10.

I've not yet been able to reproduce the fault, maybe when it happened it was just coincidence that I was using ALT-TAB at the time.

The Event Log contains the usual Error 41 that you get on a sudden unexpected shutdown.

The motherboard is an ASUS F2A55-M

Win 10 is a brand new installation, fully updated as of today.

I've not installed any separate drivers, I just let Win 10 install what it thought was required.

Any ideas please as to what I should look into ?

Thanks

:)

WinTenner, Jan 17, 2020

2. alt + tab not working

Just found a really cool way to make alt+tab INSTANT!!!

In the launch options write the following: -windowed -noborder

Unexplained crash when ALT-TAB'ing between some open windows Capture122.jpg

This play exactly the same as fullscreen but now you dont have to wait 30 f*@!ing seconds to alt+tab back in!

Also you don't get the little purple/black checkered effect (only in Source games) from alt+tabbing in fullscreen.

oli_ramsay, Jan 17, 2020
  3. Alt + Tab = Crash

Good evening,

It appears that Windows 10 keeps crashing whenever I Alt + Tab out of a game and then attempt to go back in. When I Alt + Tab back in I'm met with a black screen. Then Windows 10 freeze and I can't do anything.

Steps to reproduce:

(1) Start game

(2) Alt + Tab out

(3) Do whatever in Windows 10

(4) Alt + Tab back in

>>>Black screen

(5a) Ctrl + Alt + Delete to end process of game

(6a) No clickable buttons in Windows 10 (can't even shut down)

(5b) Ctrl + Alt + Delete

(6b) Shut down (just spins indefinitely and doesn't actually shut down)

This is a on a brand new copy of Windows 10 (not an upgrade). My current specifications are below:

-MSI SLI Plus X99 Motherboard

-16 GBs 2800 MHz RAM

-2x NVIDIA Titan X GPUs

-512 GB M2 SSD

-1600w EVGA PSU

Please advise on what is happening and if this will be fixed soon.

David_Compart, Jan 17, 2020
  4. Polarman Win User

alt + tab not working

Alt-Tabbing in & out of games does not always work. It can also crash games in some cases.

Polarman, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Unexplained crash when ALT-TAB'ing between some open windows - Similar Threads - Unexplained crash ALT

2. ALT-TAB'ing to a game kicks me out.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ALT-TAB'ing to a game kicks me out.: When I try ALT-TAB-ing to a game like MCC, my screen glitches violently and it kicks me out. Why?? submitted by /u/terrariafan112 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/17948ba/alttabing_to_a_game_kicks_me_out/
  3. Microsoft Jigsaw crashes when opening some page in Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Jigsaw crashes when opening some page in Edge: MS Jigsaw keeps crashing. Today it crashed twice while it seemed to open a page in Edge. The second time I saved the URL in case it helps MS to fix the crashes: https://s0.2mdn.net/sadbundle/15203568126445503942/[object%20Object] I guess MS Jigsaw tries to open some ad for...
  4. Some programs not opening/crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some programs not opening/crashing: I recently got a new laptop and it has been working great. However, sometimes asus's armoury crate and realtek audio console would open but crash a second later. I have tried updating both but the problem persists...
  5. Some apps keep crashing when i open them

Some apps keep crashing when i open them: Quite a few programs crash within start up...I've tried updating my system, no success yet.Please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-apps-keep-crashing-when-i-open-them/7e829da0-b00e-41db-9b0a-68f1aea04589
  6. Unexplained PopFxEnforceDirectedPowerTransition crash

Unexplained PopFxEnforceDirectedPowerTransition crash: My brand new Dell laptop with Windows 10 installed crashes every now and then in sleep mode. I can't tell from the dump file what driver is causing this. Dell blames it on Windows and is asking me to reinstall it like the reinstall will magically realign drivers. I uploaded...
  7. UsbDeviceSignalHandler open when switching between Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UsbDeviceSignalHandler open when switching between Windows: I noticed that for some time I have that weird invisible window or something named USB device signal handler. I can't find it in processes what starts to worry me, that I got some **** or some USB problem I'm not aware of. I did notice any change since this thing appears is...
  8. Alt Tab'ing opens Explorer.exe This PC to be more precised

Alt Tab'ing opens Explorer.exe This PC to be more precised: Hello. as the titles shows, when i press Alt Tab, no matter if that's in game, Web Browser, but mainly in games, the " This PC " widows pops out, and usually "breaks" the whole system - it is stuck at " loading " and it freezes and then restart the " explorer.exe " which...
  9. Question Unexplained software crashes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Question Unexplained software crashes: Hello everybody, I recently built a new computer (specs below) and randomly, softwares crashes. For instance, some days I can play for hours without any trouble and another day the game will crash like 4 times in an hour. It happens mostly while playing (crash happens on...
  10. Question Unexplained software crashes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Question Unexplained software crashes: Hello everybody, I recently built a new computer (specs below) and randomly, softwares crashes. For instance, some days I can play for hours without any trouble and another day the game will crash like 4 times in an hour. It happens mostly while playing (crash happens on...