Windows 10: Unhide Program Data in root folder

Discus and support Unhide Program Data in root folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is it safe to "unhide" the Program Data folder in your windows installation root? I mean; right click, press "properties" and then untick the "hidden"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MasterChief8810, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Unhide Program Data in root folder

Is it safe to "unhide" the Program Data folder in your windows installation root? I mean; right click, press "properties" and then untick the "hidden" option.

I've just done it, but got a warning saying it could not do it to all files.

:)

MasterChief8810, Jan 30, 2017

2. Need Help

After update windows feature my program files folder has hidden & I cann't unhide that folder after trying several time to unhide it...What should I do ??? I am facing another problem that after update windows 10 feature update,snipping tool has gone..Please
    help me

Rafiul Bashar Nahin, Jan 30, 2017
  3. windows mobile device center 6.1 and windows 7

Hello. Yes, the intent will be to try and get rid of the 32-bit traces. Do you have a folder c:\windows\windows mobile? Be sure to unhide hidden folders. Don't do anything yet. Just gathering data.

Resourceful, Jan 30, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Unhide Program Data in root folder

Leave well alone it's set like that for a reason

Samuria, Jan 30, 2017
  5. Yeah, but I have already done it...so have I messed something up?

6. Bree New Member
    Probably not - changing permissions or ownership would likely mess things up though. Don't do it!

The error message was because you probably took the default option to apply to this folder and subfolders - some of which you don't have permissions for. You'll get the same message if you try to hide it again.

7. RolandJS Win User
    My Windows 7 ProgramData has been unhid for years, however, I only poke around in it to learn what some programs have stored in there. Just me being nosy *Smile

RolandJS, Jan 30, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

The first thing I do on a new system is to set File Explorer to show extensions, hidden files and system folders. I can be nosey to my heart's content without the need to change anything. *Biggrin

9. Does that mean unhid like I did or have you just turned on the "show hidden folders and files"?

10. When you "hide" a file, it's not really hidden. It's just that it has its "hidden flag" set. That flag tells Windows Explorer not to display it.

You can unhide files and folders ... quite tedious. Or you can instead change your Windows Explorer options. Just tell Explorer that you want to see hidden files. They won't be hidden any more. Not any of them. And you don't have to change any file settings.

margrave55, Jan 31, 2017
  11. OK *Smile

So I guess I haven't done anything wrong or broken my system in any way then.

Thank you all for replying!

MasterChief8810, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unhide Program Data in root folder - Similar Threads - Unhide Program Data

2. mntemp in program data folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    mntemp in program data folder: Hello what is this file i found in my program data folder i have used windows defender to scan it and it has no threats i can just delete it without a problem but is it a malware? i got mix answer from googling. Currently it is in my recycle bin, I got this Do i just delete...
  3. mntemp in program data folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mntemp in program data folder: Hello what is this file i found in my program data folder i have used windows defender to scan it and it has no threats i can just delete it without a problem but is it a malware? i got mix answer from googling. Currently it is in my recycle bin, I got this Do i just delete...
  4. mntemp in program data folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Duplicated root folders

Duplicated root folders: I was messing around on a secondary drive and I disabled the option "hide protected files by the OS", but didn't touch anything, suddenly on my main C: drive all folders were duplicated:Screenshot - https://imgur.com/a/L2ZiBmLEach pair of the duplicated folders directs to the...
  6. Program data folder is a ghost folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program data folder is a ghost folder: I came home after a weekend about a month ago to find my computers performance had been much worse than I left it. Since then Id found a few ghost folders in my C: drive that I'd fixed but the only one that can't be fixed with anything I do is the program data folder. I say...
  7. Program Data folder blocked

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program Data folder blocked: I update to the October 2020 update on my PC I was having issues with my discord, so I decided to reinstall it upon opening the installer I got this message. I have a Lenovo E73 Mini Tower running Windows 10 Pro 20H2 with an Intel Core i5-4460S. Can anyone help me out this is...
  8. Remove Program Data Folder for Uninstalled Programs

Remove Program Data Folder for Uninstalled Programs: Re Win version 1909 OS Build 18363.836 Is it safe to remove the ProgramData folder for an application long ago uninstalled, e.g., McAfee? Thanks for your advice! 157005
  9. To Hide or Unhide Folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    To Hide or Unhide Folders: In my user folder (ex: C:\Users\...) there are many .xxxx files from various programs I've installed. It would be nice to actually use my user folder, but with so many different program files the folder becomes a bit of a mess. I can easily make a folder and its contents...
  10. Program Data folder relocation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Data folder relocation: Hello everyone! I would like to ask if it is possible to change the localisation of folderC:/ProgramData to another drive? if yes,could someone give me instructions please.very please. Thank you Best regards Tomasz...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unhiding program data

2. unhide the program data foilder