Windows 10: Unicode characters in console

Discus and support Unicode characters in console in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I recently switched from Mac OSX to Windows 10 and installed WSL + Debian 10; my default shell is zsh and using ohmyzsh to improve the UX of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mention-One, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Unicode characters in console

Hi,

I recently switched from Mac OSX to Windows 10 and installed WSL + Debian 10; my default shell is zsh and using ohmyzsh to improve the UX of the shell.

I just noticed that unicode characters are not supported and I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/Mention-One
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mention-One, Apr 22, 2021

2. Type a Unicode Character

You can convert numbers from decimal to hex to octal to binary. But those are the numbers used as Unicode code points. They're the "serial numbers" for characters.

But the alt codes are a different. They're not related to the Unicode code points. There is no numerical conversion from Unicode codes to alt codes.

Alt codes predate Unicode by a decade or so. Alt codes are just arbitrary numbers that Microsoft assigned. So you have to look up the key codes. Do a google search to find a complete list.

margrave55, Apr 22, 2021
  3. Console displays unicode character as [], but can understand them

I have a strange bug in a cmd, it displays any unicode character as .
    Here what i do:

1. Run cmd.exe(font is set to Lucida Console)
    2. chcp 65001
    3. Paste "フォルダー" and every character displays as [], if i copy it from console and paste it somewhere else it will be again フォルダー as it must.
    4. When doing cd "フォルダー" it does go to it but again displays as C:\[][][][][]\

Why it didn't display unicode characters?

Edit:
    Actually there is no solve though...

But if you want you can use ConEmu which is improving default prompt.

In ConEmu characters are displaying with any font, because it uses font that supported these chars with selected.

BladeMight, Apr 22, 2021
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Unicode characters in console

How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?

I haven't the right keyboard available on my laptop, so I can't test this, but the way we used to do it was:

1. Press and hold down the Alt key.
    2. Press the + (plus) key on the numeric keypad.
    3. Type the hexidecimal unicode value.
    4. Release the Alt key.
    This comes from:

How to enter Unicode characters in Microsoft Windows

Which leads on to this small utility:

UnicodeInput - a utility to enter Unicode characters on Microsoft Windows

Which I also cannot test.

In Microsoft Word,there must be numerous published macros for handling Unicode - some will be better than others - just go to:

microsoft word unicode macro - Google Search

for loads of links.

Fafhrd, Apr 22, 2021
Thema:

Unicode characters in console

1. Unicode characters in console - Similar Threads - Unicode characters console

2. i am unable to insert a variety of unicode characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i am unable to insert a variety of unicode characters: despite having num lock enabled, pressing "alt" "+" and then the code does nothingfor example, U+203D is one of the characters I have triedit seems that the functionality for pressing "+" whilst entering strings when holding "alt" is completely missingunrelated, but i'm...
  3. i am unable to insert a variety of unicode characters

in Windows 10 Customization
    i am unable to insert a variety of unicode characters: despite having num lock enabled, pressing "alt" "+" and then the code does nothingfor example, U+203D is one of the characters I have triedit seems that the functionality for pressing "+" whilst entering strings when holding "alt" is completely missingunrelated, but i'm...
  4. Using Unicode directional formatting characters in file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using Unicode directional formatting characters in file names: The Unicode standard is constantly being updated. The latest version 13.0 was released in March 2020. Please note that often in new versions of Unicode standard not only new characters are added, but also changes occur in various algorithms that are an integral part of the...
  5. Unicode characters showing problem.

Unicode characters showing problem.: Hello, When I type Bangla fonts, characters are showing just as??????? question marks, I've added Bangla language from Language settings, necessary fonts are also already installed. Still the problem is the same. Some icons of windows are also showing as weired...
  6. Fonts/Unicode Characters

Fonts/Unicode Characters: So I was deleting some preinstalled fonts like Microsoft fonts and things like Arial Bold. The reason I did this is because there are a lot of preinstalled fonts and I'm always downloading new fonts for creative purposes. I deleted a bunch of these fonts so that it would be...
  7. Type a Unicode Character

in Windows 10 Support
    Type a Unicode Character: Hello, I am using Win 10 version 2004 and build 19041.388. If I try to enter a Unicode character via the method Alt + <hex number>, then I do get a character but it is the wrong one. For example if I enter 2212 it give a 'n' with a squiggle on top whereas it should return...
  8. Non unicode Greek charactes problem

Non unicode Greek charactes problem: Hello, I tried a lot to install a greek engineering software, but i have a serious problem with my non unicode characters. I own a razer blade 14" 2017 bought from america if that make any sense. I made without changing something those steps: - Control...
  9. Asian characters become unicode ���

Asian characters become unicode ���: Sometimes when I download/install programs that's originally written in Chinese, folder names and the text in the installer just show up as ����� and I can't read anything. When I play older songs on itunes, previously correctly named songs, with correct artists etc. all...
  10. How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?: With Microsoft Word, Wordpad and Notepad running in XP and Win7, you could type any unicode character by typing its number followed by Alt+X. For example, you could type ≠ by typing 2260AltX. This doesn't work in Wordpad or Notepad running in Win10; it seems to work in Word,...