Windows 10: Unidentified network after replacing modem

Discus and support Unidentified network after replacing modem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The rig im still running is custom built, about 10 years ago. I can give you the specs if relevant. It was originally installed with Windows Vista... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tin_foil_hat, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Unidentified network after replacing modem

The rig im still running is custom built, about 10 years ago. I can give you the specs if relevant. It was originally installed with Windows Vista 64bit, later I replaced that with Windows 7 64bit, then upgraded to Windows 10. I have a cable internet connection through Mediacom. I had a rented Arris modem/router that was bridged to allow me to run my own router for wifi.

Let me explain that part a little bit, because I dont know if its relevant. A few years ago I was having slow internet problems and a mediacom tech guy came out to take a look. He determined that I had chew marks on my cable line from the pole coming in and repaired that. He also determined my stand-alone modem was bad. He replaced the modem with a modem/router, explaining that this is all they have now, they no longer install just modems, but if I chose to use their router, I would have to pay an extra monthly service and equipment fees for it. I opted not to do that and continued using my D'link gaming router as it was as good or better than what he was trying to sell me. The tech guy worked for a couple hours connecting the Arris modem/router to my D'link router and could not get it to work. He was playing with a lot of settings on my computer, not sure what all he got into but when he left it still wasn't working. I could connect my computer and have internet, or I could connect my router and have Wifi, but not both. He had other appointments and left with my stuff still not working right. I called Mediacom tech support, expained the issue and they were able to fix the problem over the phone. Im not sure exactly what they did but they said they had to bridge their modem/router to allow me to use my own router. I dont know what that involves, maybe they had to change the gatway IP so it wasn't the same as my router. I dont know. Im not the best with networking.

My computer does not have wifi capability, is right next to the router and connects with a wired connection through one of the LAN ports. Recently I found a good deal on a Netgear Nighthawk C7000 (free), and decided to replace Mediacom's equipment with my own to save on the rental fees. After connecting the new modem/router in place of my old equipment and calling Mediacom to connect the modem, I could not get an internet connection on my computer. Wifi works fine through out the house on all other devices. I had to connect to the new modem/router and set up the network using my wifes laptop. I left the network name and password the same so I wouldn't have to go through and reconnect all my and my kids devices. My computer only shows Unidentified Network, and will not connect. Tried accessing the modem/router anyway through the browser by typing in the gateway IP and the connection times out. My wifes laptop will connect to the new modem/router through both WiFi and LAN connections. My xbox one x is the only other system that has a wired connection and this also has no problems connecting to the new router/modem. This led me to believe the issue was with my computer. Whats weird is that my computer will still connect to the old router. I hooked up the old router to my computer just to check my network connections and I can still access the old network, make changes to the router setting etc. but not have internet access obviously. And it all worked fine before replacing the modem/router.

I disabled my antivirus, windows firewall, tried updating my Ethernet controller drivers, all to no avail. I tried several other fixes I found online such as releasing/renewing the IP address in command promt, flushing the DNS cache, etc. Got bupkis from those fixes as well. As a last ditch effort, I downloaded Windows 10 on to a USB stick from my wifes laptop. Backed up all my personal data on to my D drive and wiped and reinstalled Windows 10. After the reinstall and restart, I reinstalled my Eithernet controller and LAN drivers from my MOBO installation disk. I still have the same Unidentified Network issue. Im stumped. Any ideas?

:)

tin_foil_hat, Nov 21, 2019
  2. badrobot Win User

Unidentified network

Have you tried the basic troubleshooting procedure? Resetting the modem and router? Just unplug and plug back in again. Do it one at a time and start with the modem first.

badrobot, Nov 21, 2019
  3. Unidentified network no internet access

Followed all the steps still isn't working. The only difference in network is that before it use to show "Unidentified network" and after giving the IP's its showing my routers name then "No internet"
    When I use this cable and port on my other Toshiba laptop it works fine.

lostpotato, Nov 21, 2019
  4. werty Win User

Unidentified network after replacing modem

Unidentified network

Hi, Badrobot and thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately the issue is still not resolved. The connection still shows as Unidentified and it disconnects frequently.

werty, Nov 21, 2019
Thema:

Unidentified network after replacing modem

1. Unidentified network after replacing modem - Similar Threads - Unidentified network replacing

2. Network unidentified network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network unidentified network: I have my router connected to my modem and my windows 10 computer connected to my router to use internet. Everything works fine. Now, why is it when i connect my computer directly to the modem I get “unidentified network, no internet”. shouldn’t I be able to get internet...
  3. Home network not 100% after replacing xfinity gateway modem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home network not 100% after replacing xfinity gateway modem: I am having a home networking connection problem. My network consists of 2 desktops and 2 laptops. One desktop is running Windows 11, one desktop is running windows 10, one laptop is running windows 10 and the other laptop is running windows 7. I'll define a ‘yes...
  4. Home network not 100% after replacing xfinity gateway modem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home network not 100% after replacing xfinity gateway modem: I am having a home networking connection problem. My network consists of 2 desktops and 2 laptops. One desktop is running Windows 11, one desktop is running windows 10, one laptop is running windows 10 and the other laptop is running windows 7. I'll define a ‘yes...
  5. Home network not 100% after replacing xfinity gateway modem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Unidentified network

Unidentified network: Hi Team,We have done Clean boot OS installation from windows 7 to windows 10. After OS upgrade the ethernet connection shows "Unidentified network". I have tried below steps,1. Network reset2. Device driver remove and re-install3. Executed below commands in command prompt and...
  7. Unidentified network

Unidentified network: My Windows 10 computer keeps connecting to an unidentified network. How can I stop and prevent this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unidentified-network/7e04abcb-a803-429b-9103-e1168dc84db9
  8. Unidentified network

Unidentified network: If anyone could help me solve this problem it would be terrific! I've had this problem for the last 1 and a half weeks, I need an Ethernet connection to play video games, and when it doesn't work it can be quite frustrating. I've have tried all of the so called solutions on...
  9. Unidentified network after update

Unidentified network after update: My computer is connected with a mac(with windows ) via ethernet share. And it has been working for over a month. Recently i updated my computer since i was forced to. After the update my ethernet stopped working. I've tried trouble shooting. Reseting pc. Reseting network...
  10. "Unidentified Network No Internet" when connected directly to modem.

"Unidentified Network No Internet" when connected directly to modem.: My router is very old and limits my internet a lot so I decided to go directly through the modem and then through a switch to allow for a fast wired and decent wireless connection. My desktop seems to only connect to the internet when going through the router. I have done...