Windows 10: Uninstalled apps getting re-installed automatically, start menu tiles missing after pinning...

Discus and support Uninstalled apps getting re-installed automatically, start menu tiles missing after pinning... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just bought a Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd gen). And I'm now trying to set it up the way I like so that I can start using it. But Windows 10 is making it SO... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by p-raveena, Nov 30, 2018.

1. p-raveena Win User

Uninstalled apps getting re-installed automatically, start menu tiles missing after pinning...

I just bought a Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd gen). And I'm now trying to set it up the way I like so that I can start using it. But Windows 10 is making it SO hard. I'm coming to a PC after 10 years on a Mac so maybe these are silly problems bc I don't yet know my way around Windows 10 but it's mighty frustrating.

This is what I did:

1. Turned on laptop and went through initial setup

2. Downloaded all Windows updates as well as Lenovo updates through the Lenovo Vantage app

3. Proceeded to try and uninstall some bloatware. I THOUGHT some programs were missing (more on this later) in the Settings app so proceeded to use the Start Menu, right-clicked, and clicked 'Uninstall'. I did this for programs like Minecraft, Netflix, Fitbit Coach, and Candy Crush Friends. I also rearranged my tiles in the order that I liked.

**Issue 1:** Some apps would be removed after clicking on the 'Uninstall' button. But others would just come back right after! Some would appear as before, others would come back int this weird 'ghost' format where there's a tile and the name but no picture and would be unclickable. Like the 'Candy Crush Friends Saga' button in this picture:

Uninstalled apps getting re-installed automatically, start menu tiles missing after pinning... 9cdde3fd-b64b-49ab-b153-6b78d383e290?upload=true.png

4. So at this point, I decided to restart my computer.

**Issue 2:** After reboot, NONE of the changes that I had made to the Start menu had saved! All my rearranging was gone and ALL the "apps" I thought I had uninstalled came back. My Start menu looks like how it looks the first time I ever opened it:

Uninstalled apps getting re-installed automatically, start menu tiles missing after pinning... [​IMG]

5. I clicked on Candy Crush Saga and instead of opening, it downloaded and installed! That's when I realized that some of the items in the Start Menu list aren't even real programs. Are they links? Are they ads? I HAVE NO IDEA. What are they and how do I get rid of them?

6. So now out of curiosity, I wonder what apps are ACTUALLY installed and which are just...link/ad/type things. I go to the Control Panel, then Programs and Features. And it's only showing 8 programs installed on my computer?! Other ones I know are installed - like Mail, Microsoft Edge, etc. -- aren't even showing up:

Uninstalled apps getting re-installed automatically, start menu tiles missing after pinning... [​IMG]

At a loss on what to do. This is a brand new computer. Here are some details about what I'm running:

Someone please help me! I've already spent hours and hours searching online for fixes but I feel like these are multiple problems compounding on me at once.

***Original title: Win10 1803 issues - start menu reset, control panel not showing all programs***

:)

p-raveena, Nov 30, 2018

2. Phone tile is missing from the Start Menu.

Original Title: Microsoft Lumina 640 start tile

Last Friday 10th June my Lumina 640 phone updated to the latest Windows 10.

When it restarted the phone tile had disappeared from the start menu.

When I tried to re-pin to start from the list of apps by holding down the app the "Pin to Start" function was grey suggesting that the app was already pinned.

I have unpinned all the start tiles in an effort to find the phone tile but to no avail

Please advise how I can restore the missing phone tile

StephenShacklady, Nov 30, 2018
  3. idigweeds Win User
    The option "Pin to Start Menu" is missing in the right click menu for People App.

I have been unable to pin a tile to the Start Menu for the Windows 10's People App. The option "Pin to Start Menu" is missing in the right click menu. When I try to drag and drop the entry from the All Apps area to the Start Menu tiles area, it tells
    me that the app is already pinned there, but it's not. Are there any steps I can take to activate this option for this app?

idigweeds, Nov 30, 2018
  4. Uninstalled apps getting re-installed automatically, start menu tiles missing after pinning...

Windows 10 Start Menu all apps / tiles missing

So I woke my computer up from sleep last night and this is what I was welcomed with:

All of a sudden my start menu had no apps listed and no live tiles to speak of. So I did my googleing and I found this microsoft answer page: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-b988cd6da49a

I tried every step in their. After all said and done, I got installed programs to show up, but the live tiles that usually show to the right did not come back. I was ok with that, thinking I would work on this today and find a solution to that problem.

I just woke up the computer again from sleep and the start menu is blank AGAIN. Before this started happening last night, I have not installed any new software nor has windows ran any updates.

I'm at a loss. I tried system recovery and to roll back to a few days prior, but I keep getting an error after recovery is attempted stating that windows recovery wasn't able to fully complete due to a certain file (i can retry recovery and post picture of error if needed).

So any suggestions on whats my next step? I thought maybe I had a malware issue, but II have avast and malware antibytes installed and they showed no hits when the scans where run.

Any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a Great Turkey Day!

PS, I have to work today from 4pm to 6am, so If I do not reply right away I apologize.

Dalumberjack03, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

Uninstalled apps getting re-installed automatically, start menu tiles missing after pinning...

1. Uninstalled apps getting re-installed automatically, start menu tiles missing after pinning... - Similar Threads - Uninstalled apps getting

2. Win10: Start Menu Tiles get restored/re-arranged after reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10: Start Menu Tiles get restored/re-arranged after reboot: I've searched for this and could only find something similar but it didn't help despite following A.User's steps mentioned there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tiles-in-windows-10-start-menu-repeatedly-messed/76f4a919-0b70-4f75-a71a-a79bca0e3763 When...
  3. Start Menu Apps not tiles uninstalled program still on start menu

Start Menu Apps not tiles uninstalled program still on start menu: I uninstalled unused apps from my windows 10 desktop. When I click on the windows key to bring to bring up the start menu, one app [Ebay] icon shows it is still there. Left clicking and hitting uninstall brings me to the App list. Since I uninstalled it from the App...
  4. start menu pinned tiles

start menu pinned tiles: so when i close everything it goes to desktop and im not able to see desktop apps because start menu is blocking everything and wont close. os build {19041.508} 2004...
  5. start menu pinned tiles

start menu pinned tiles: when ever i close everything i cant see anything in desktop apps because start menu pinned tiles wont close??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-pinned-tiles/e0987182-f335-48a0-ab83-c7f1a213dfbd
  6. Start menu pinned tiles lost

Start menu pinned tiles lost: Hello to all, Yesterday I have done the following Windows update: https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/4551762/windows-10-update-kb4551762 Now I see that I also moved to Version 1909, too. … and ever since all my pinned programs in the Start menu are gone not the...
  7. Customize Start Menu for Pinned apps and get Live Tile effect

Customize Start Menu for Pinned apps and get Live Tile effect: Hi there, Thanks for looking at my question. I am an avid user of the start menu and it's features, and I've been trying to customize it. However, I find that despite the excellent features and functionality that the built-in Apps are able to bring to the Start Menu, there...
  8. Cannot re-arrange/resize/pin/unpin start menu tiles after malware.

Cannot re-arrange/resize/pin/unpin start menu tiles after malware.: Hey guys, I am having a problem with Windows 10, I can't pin/unpin tiles from Start Menu. I can't even drag and re-arrange them. This started happening after I installed massive malware source on my PC and it installed yessearch all over the system. It deleted Firefox and...
  9. Missing tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing tiles in the start menu: I remember that after I had upgraded to Windows 10, my local account wasn't available and the system logged me in with a temporary profile. Then when I logged in with my account, some of the tiles from the start menu had disappeared. I've tried opening powershell and...
  10. Only "pin to start" (as a tile) and not "pin to start menu"?

in Windows 10 Support
    Only "pin to start" (as a tile) and not "pin to start menu"?: Hello! I haven't tried the previews but follow the development through blogs and YouTube. I am running 8.1 on all my PC's and love it. I've become used to the start screen and tiles but was under the impression that the new start menu in 10 would make it possible to pin...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows powershell command to remove fitbit