Windows 10: Uninstalled Windows USB controllers; Can't use keyboard/mouse in OS

Discus and support Uninstalled Windows USB controllers; Can't use keyboard/mouse in OS in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Windows Pro desktop full of USB 3 (only, save the two PS/2) ports that are now useless. I uninstalled a couple USB controllers, both with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by digitalswoon, May 14, 2019.

1. Uninstalled Windows USB controllers; Can't use keyboard/mouse in OS

I have a Windows Pro desktop full of USB 3 (only, save the two PS/2) ports that are now useless. I uninstalled a couple USB controllers, both with "Windows" in their name, after following some Microsoft advice that I hoped would fix some problems I was having with some devices not working. Figured they would be reinstalled automatically upon start up. No, I didn't back anything up. Stupid, yes, but I digress... I can't fix anything by logging into Windows because the USB ports won't work--can't use my keyboard or mouse to login. I can use my peripherals in the BIOS and recovery mode, though.

I tried multiple restore points, but I keep getting error 0x80070057. I'd really like to use this option if there's a workaround.

I tried installing drivers manually through the recovery command line, and I thought I was successful, but nothing happened. Either I didn't install the right ones or I didn't install them properly. This might be the wrong track since I think the drivers were by Windows, not by my mobo manufacturer.

Sfc scan shows nothing's wrong.

I even bought a PS/2 keyboard thinking it'd work without a problem, but apparently I'd have to fix some registry keys to use it! Scratch that, I DID fix those registries (offline I changed System32/config/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Services/i8042pt/Start from 3 to 1...but I was advised to use CurrentControlSet, not ControlSet001, which I couldn't find), and I verified it because they remained edited after restarting, but it still didn't work! I'd like to have not spent my money in vain...so a fix to this would be much obliged as well.

I'd really rather not reinstall or reset Windows. I'd also like to not spend any more money *Tongue *cry This whole thing has become a project of projects. I think I tried some other things, but I don't remember. Might not have even approached those other solutions properly. This is my first ever time having to post on a forum for a computer problem. Hope you guys can help... I'd appreciate it.

:)

digitalswoon, May 14, 2019

2. Windows 10 usb keyboard and mouse not working

Hi,

To assist you better, answer the below question.

I would like to know if you are getting any message when you connect the USB Keyboard and Mouse?

I suggest you to connect the USB Keyboard and Mouse to a different USB port and check if it works.

Also, plug your USB Keyboard and Mouse to a different system and check if it works.

I suggest you try below method and check if it helps

Hardware and devices troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Ashwin V S, May 14, 2019
  3. Usb keyboard and mouse not working

Hello Raj,

We understand your concern in this regard.

As I explained in my earlier response, the problem might be with the incompatible drivers or might be device compatibility on Windows 10. Suggest you to check if any yellow exclamation mark appears against the USB controllers. Press Windows logo key+ X,
    select Device Manager from the list. Spot and expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Now see if you find any instance for connected Mouse or Keyboard or Card reader appears there. Double click on it to see the device working status.

Use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, and then click Run.
    • Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.
    • Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click
      Uninstall to remove it.
    • Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
    • Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Meanwhile go to computer manufacturer website and try to install chipset drivers. You can search them using device model number. Please refer the suggestion provided by Andre Da Costa from this link:

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Let us know to guide you further.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 14, 2019
  4. Vanion Win User

Uninstalled Windows USB controllers; Can't use keyboard/mouse in OS

Mouse and keyboard don't work on Windows install

Its a new build i was trying to install my windows os

Thanks for your help my PS keyboard is working unfortunately my usb mouse/keyboard still do not work even after having my OS installed. How would i go about selecting to load the driver packages?

Vanion, May 14, 2019
Thema:

Uninstalled Windows USB controllers; Can't use keyboard/mouse in OS

1. Uninstalled Windows USB controllers; Can't use keyboard/mouse in OS - Similar Threads - Uninstalled USB controllers

2. Uninstalled Intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller and Keyboard and Mouse don’t work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uninstalled Intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller and Keyboard and Mouse don’t work.: My hdd was not working properly and some people told me too uninstall intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller - 1.0 microsoft version after doing that the laptop restarted but the inbuilt keyboard and mouse stopped working as well as any usb ports, i am stuck at password...
  3. Uninstalled Intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller and Keyboard and Mouse don’t work.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Uninstalled Intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller and Keyboard and Mouse don’t work.: My hdd was not working properly and some people told me too uninstall intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller - 1.0 microsoft version after doing that the laptop restarted but the inbuilt keyboard and mouse stopped working as well as any usb ports, i am stuck at password...
  4. Uninstalled Intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller and Keyboard and Mouse don’t work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Loss of mouse and keyboard control

Loss of mouse and keyboard control: Why don't you just fix the Windows 10 and edge problem of losing mouse and keyboard control in an update, and stop advising people to try to fix it themselves with all that command prompt horse ****?...
  6. Loss of mouse and keyboard control

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Loss of mouse and keyboard control: Why don't you just fix the Windows 10 and edge problem of losing mouse and keyboard control in an update, and stop advising people to try to fix it themselves with all that command prompt horse ****?...
  7. I can't use keyboard and mouse to control the screen of another PC in the "Connect" app...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't use keyboard and mouse to control the screen of another PC in the "Connect" app...: I want to control a PC from a Surface Pro 8 with Miracast both running Windows 10 21H2I'm following the instructions indicated by Windows 10: I've enabled "Allow mouse, keyboard, touch and pen input from this device" in the PC. However in the connect app of the Surface...
  8. I can't use keyboard and mouse to control the screen of another PC in the "Connect" app...

I can't use keyboard and mouse to control the screen of another PC in the "Connect" app...: I want to control a PC from a Surface Pro 8 with Miracast both running Windows 10 21H2I'm following the instructions indicated by Windows 10: I've enabled "Allow mouse, keyboard, touch and pen input from this device" in the PC. However in the connect app of the Surface...
  9. Can't use mouse and keyboard correctly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't use mouse and keyboard correctly: I pushed a few different keys and a pop-up came up "enable f keys" I think the f was filter but I'm not sure, anyway now my esc doesn't work, my caps lock is backwards, my arrow keys highlight everything instead of just navigate, my mouse scroll wheel isn't working and it...
  10. Uninstalled Windows USB controllers; Can't use keyboard/mouse in OS

in Windows 10 Support
    Uninstalled Windows USB controllers; Can't use keyboard/mouse in OS: I have a Windows Pro desktop full of USB 3 (only, save the two PS/2) ports that are now useless. I uninstalled a couple USB controllers, both with "Windows" in their name, after following some Microsoft advice that I hoped would fix some problems I was having with some...