Windows 10: Uninstalling McAfee

Discus and support Uninstalling McAfee in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I need to update Windows and in order to do that I need to uninstall McAfee. I tried using the default uninstall provided by Windows but it said I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TimothyHodgson, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Uninstalling McAfee

I need to update Windows and in order to do that I need to uninstall McAfee. I tried using the default uninstall provided by Windows but it said I could not uninstall as other programs were using McAfee Agent. I then tried using the MCPR which seems to have worked for most other people but for me it said that the uninstall couldn't happen as there was Enterprise software detected. I then tried to use Registry Editor to uninstall it via cmd but the instructions provided by McAfee for this are vague and it still didn't remove the McAfee software. I have tried to contact McAfee but waited for half an hour with no response for their 24hr support, and receive only generic no reply emails from them when I try to contact them by email. I really don't know where else to look for a solution and I'm sure I can't be the only one with this problem as I constantly hear about how problematic McAfee is.

Sorry for the long query and thanks in advance for any help.

:)

TimothyHodgson, Jun 9, 2019

2. McAfee security

Read through this and it will show you step by step how to remove McAfee from your computer

PC Hell: How to Uninstall McAfee

hTconeM9user, Jun 9, 2019
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Unable to uninstall McAfee

Have you tried the Mcafee uninstall/clean up tool?

Download and run the MCPR tool:
    • Download the MCPR tool from http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp and save it to a temporary folder on your computer.

NOTE: Because the MCPR tool is updated periodically, always download a new copy before each use to ensure that it can recognize and fully remove newer McAfee products.

• Browse to the folder where you saved the file and double-click MCPR.exe.
    • If you see a User Account Control dialog box, click Yes.
    • At the McAfee Software Removal screen, click Next.
    • At the End User License Agreement (EULA) dialog box, click Next to accept the agreement.
    • When prompted, type the Captcha information exactly as seen (it is case-sensitive) and then click Next. (This step minimizes accidental executions of MCPR.)
    • If you have Family Protection installed, follow steps a and b below. Otherwise, continue to step 8.
      • Type your Family Protection Administrator name and Password, then click Next.
      • If authentication fails, follow the on-screen instructions to obtain an uninstall code.
    • When you see the CleanUp Successful message, restart your computer to completely remove your McAfee product.

Time Lady, Jun 9, 2019
  4. PattyS Win User

Uninstalling McAfee

Mcafee reinstalls files after uninstall

Hi Borg,

I downloaded ESET AV Remover. It did not find the remaining files of McAfee, but it did a great job of uninstalling the AVG files. I wanted to get rid of that, but it did not show up on Revo Uninstaller. The ESET website does have instructions on how to manually remove files by starting in SafeMode. I'll try that next, and let you know. Thanks!

Update:
    I tried the manual uninstall as instructed on the ESET page, but McAfee *Devilstill doesn't allow me permission. On to the next suggestion! McAfee is most definitely a virus

PattyS, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

Uninstalling McAfee

1. Uninstalling McAfee - Similar Threads - Uninstalling McAfee

2. How do I uninstall McAfee "LiveSafe" off my Win10 Dell Laptop. Note: I HAVE ALREADY TRIED...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I uninstall McAfee "LiveSafe" off my Win10 Dell Laptop. Note: I HAVE ALREADY TRIED...: I know how to access Programs and Features, I know how to get to the old Uninstall via Control Panel, but NOTHING is working to get rid of this POS software that I didn't want in the first place. It still pops up with giant ads covering 25% of my screen numerous times a day....
  3. Need to uninstall & repair McAfee to install AVG both grayed out !

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need to uninstall & repair McAfee to install AVG both grayed out !: Need to uninstall & repair McAfee to install AVG both grayed out ! Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-uninstall-repair-mcafee-to-install-avg/93ded39b-2953-4b83-9937-4059aade9b7d
  4. Significant problems while trying to uninstall McAfee and Avast

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Significant problems while trying to uninstall McAfee and Avast: I was troubled by the red dot and "X" beside some files in windows explorer so was recommended to uninstall my antivirus software because Windows Defender is sufficient. Running McAfee utility MCPR.exe the first thing that happened was I get a very small window almost...
  5. Uninstall McAfee Suites

Uninstall McAfee Suites: I have tried unsuccessfully to uninstall McAfee Suites. I think it is interfering with my current security suites. McAfee may have been previously downloaded or unintentionally through some other source. Any advice on how to accomplish? I've tried the uninstall within the...
  6. Win10 1803 Fail - Needs Non-Existant McAfee Uninstalled

Win10 1803 Fail - Needs Non-Existant McAfee Uninstalled: All: Windows 10 is trying to update to version 1803 (3). It is halting the update because "Some apps need to be uninstalled". Specifically - McAfee Internet Security Suite. I do not have, nor have I ever -intentionally- installed McAfee. I am running Norton Security Suite. I...
  7. how do I get Windows Defender working after I uninstall McAfee?

how do I get Windows Defender working after I uninstall McAfee?: What would suggest I do, McAfee came pre installed on my HP Laptop. My "free" subscription ends in a few days and I noticed that my Windows Defender does NOT work. It is grayed out because of McAfee as I have learned reading other posts on this board. Other AV programs have...
  8. How do I uninstall McAfee software using only Command Prompt?

How do I uninstall McAfee software using only Command Prompt?: Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums. I am currently having issues rebooting my PC after trying to install the McAfee Internet Security on my computer. The PC will not reboot and I still have files on my desktop which I need to recover before resetting my PC. This will...
  9. Mcafee reinstalls files after uninstall

Mcafee reinstalls files after uninstall: Hi, Yesterday, I used Revo Uninstaller to remove McAfee. I used the advanced mode to get all the deeply embedded pieces of it. But today, when I check the Task Manager, I saw a bunch of McAfee programs running in the background. It doesn't appear that they're taking up any...
  10. Preinstalled McAfee LiveSafe on laptop - Should I Uninstall?

Preinstalled McAfee LiveSafe on laptop - Should I Uninstall?: I bought a new laptop, it came with McAfee LiveSafe. I heard only bad things about McAfee and apparently it just slows everything down. Should I uninstall it and replace it with any free AV? If yes, what Free AV is best (lightweight on system resources yet reliable) for...