Windows 10: Uninterruptable Power Supply Question

Discus and support Uninterruptable Power Supply Question in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi There all Currently have a APC BE750G model, believe its only rated to 400watts, anyways just upgraded my main Desktop to Evga G3 650watt power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AMDMan2016, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Uninterruptable Power Supply Question

Hi There all

Currently have a APC BE750G model, believe its only rated to 400watts, anyways just upgraded my main Desktop to Evga G3 650watt power supply, am i right in not using that UPS for the Tower/plugged into separate surge for right now til i get to store and get a bigger UPS to support this system properly, hoping to go tomorrow and get that if possible

Otherwise really liking this EVGA power supply, system temps are averging around 33C with same stuff open as previously with 300watt power supply, in addition system responsiveness seems a bit better, installation was good, despite trying to get the dvd drive reconnected was a little problem, but got it

:)

AMDMan2016, Feb 27, 2018
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Remove unnecessary driver?

The question many may want to ask you...

Why do you want to remove it ?

Do you use a battery backup of some kind on your computer?

An Uninterruptible Power Supply ... a UPS ?

'Mike P, Feb 27, 2018
  3. dell printer 966 won't power up using my HP 220 PC

A UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) is not designed to provide the appropriate voltage to power a printer. Keeping one connected to a UPS can damage the motor inside the printer.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 27, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Uninterruptable Power Supply Question

The rating for the PSU tells you how much it can deliver, if asked to do so. That's not necessarily (and probably not really) what you're actually using. The Kill-A-Watt electricity monitor ($19.99 @ Home Depot) or the Kill A Watt EZ Meter ($28.97 same outlet) will tell you exactly how much power your PC is consuming at peak load. That's what you want to buy your UPS for (not maximum rated load, which may very well be overkill).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 27, 2018
  5. Oh ok will look into getting one of those meters, and go from there

AMDMan2016, Feb 27, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Hope the metering produces a good result -- that is, one where you don't need to buy as much capacity for battery as the PSU puts out. Let us know what you see when you start measuring. Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 27, 2018
  7. Berton Win User
    I've noticed the larger-capacity UPS devices give a bit longer time to the orderly shutdown of computers and monitors. The printers do not need to be plugged into a UPS, can always do the job later, and a number of the Laserjet printers may instruct not to plug into a UPS but directly to a wall outlet, my Lexmark Optra R was one. Speakers need not be plugged into a UPS. The intent of a UPS is to provide an orderly shutdown to avoid data loss in the event of a power failure but also is quite nice for those instances of momentary [power bump] or short term failures.

Berton, Feb 27, 2018
  8. pbcopter Win User

Also if you get a power meter, note the peak power during startup of your PC. I have seen lower wattage UPSs overloaded during startup if they are too small.

pbcopter, Feb 27, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, indeed: sizing to fit the peaks in is VERY IMPORTANT. Otherwise, the UPS may not be able to do its job of providing enough power to perform an orderly shutdown (which is its most essential ability).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 27, 2018
  10. Well got the Machine plugged into the old UPS device right now, no beeps or nothing at this time, haven't been able to get over to Home Depot yet to get the meter, Gaming and PC functions working fine though, so guess ok for now

AMDMan2016, Feb 27, 2018
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Unless something else about your PC has changed (other than the PSU) your power draw shouldn't change very much. By themselves, PSUs don't account for a huge percentage of total PC power draw. My old colleague Don Woligroski edited this material from Scott Mueller for Tom's Hardware back in 2012, but it's still true today: Power Supply Reference: Consumption, Savings, And More.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 27, 2018
  12. Nothing else has changed yet, originally planned to just upgrade memory for birthday, but didn't receive as gift a giftcard that could afford the memory, so went with Plan B, and upgraded Power supply as eventually wanna in the future upgrade Video card to support future games. Will read that article as well

AMDMan2016, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Uninterruptable Power Supply Question - Similar Threads - Uninterruptable Power Supply

2. Power supply problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power supply problem: I get Bsod everyday but i dont get them much i only get bsod like 2-3 times and my pc will work fine,my drivers are all up to date and so is my bios ,my hardware is good but my Power suppy is 4 years and gonna be 5 this april,should i buy a new power supply because i kinda...
  3. Power supply

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power supply: Hello. I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio. This is an upgrade from my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. In addition to the power supply that came with the Laptop Studio, am I able to use the power cord that came with Microsoft Surface Pro 4, or perhaps the...
  4. Power supply

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power supply: Hello. I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio. This is an upgrade from my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. In addition to the power supply that came with the Laptop Studio, am I able to use the power cord that came with Microsoft Surface Pro 4, or perhaps the...
  5. Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage

in Windows 10 News
    Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage: [ATTACH]When it comes to PC building, one of the most important components is the […] This article Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. ATX power supply

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ATX power supply: Hey, I have a ATX powersuply, that making a "tiking" sound i can't lacate what it is. my first though was capacitor. and maybe not. The weird this is it's only sometimes when i power on the computer. any wise ideas? 141087
  7. Power Supply Blew

Power Supply Blew: Yesterday a resounding SNAP sound blasted out of the desktop and all response instantly died. The monitor still had powe rbut no video image. Immediately to the repair shop for a new power supply but that did not produce a video response and an alternate video card was no...
  8. Power supply problem

Power supply problem: Hi, I recently got a new PSU as my other one blew up. However I seem to be having problems with my new one, where my PC will turn on, Windows will be laggy for about 5 minutes and then computer just shuts itself off. I turn the PC back on, and it barley makes it to the...
  9. NEW Power Supply Upgrade Question

NEW Power Supply Upgrade Question: Hi All In order to prepare for future video card upgrade, decided for upcoming birthday to purchase newer power supply for my Asus M52BC_M32BC01 System, Found out Motherboard is M5A97 EVO 2, is there anything I should be aware of before doing the NEW Power supply install,...
  10. Uninterruptible Power Supply a Requirement?

in Windows 10 Support
    Uninterruptible Power Supply a Requirement?: Should it be a part of the 'test for readiness' of a system that it has a functioning uninterruptible power supply that will run the system long enough to allow any and all 'automatic updates to Windows 10.' In their wisdom, Microsoft tells us 'do not turn off your...